Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 09:39 PM

230 posts, read 398,228 times

Advertisements

Hello good folks of CD! We came in to DFW area last week right after my Birthday. Stayed mostly in Plano area since that's we were looking for place to rent feeding to Jasper HS. We signed lease w/ one of the newer complexes in Preston / Legacy area. I'm very impressed with the whole thing. My wife is happy too. Our older teenage dtr needed a little more convincing and she still probably does. But here's my question for this thread. We have our folks staying back in Brooklyn, NY, at least for now. It seems we'll have to fly back and forth quite a bit (probably every 1 - 2 months). I redeemed my Delta skymiles for the last trip. But looking aat general pricing of individual airlines, including Travelocity, orbitz, expedia and others, nonstop flights NYC to DFW and back are a bit steep. For our family of two adults and two kids it's between $1300 - $1500? Does anybody on here knows any good deals for frquesnt flying? Any experience with Spirit airline club $9? I've read horror reviews, but may be someone has first hand knowledge?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 09:50 PM

277 posts, read 678,188 times
Welcome to DFW! My buddy from NYC flies back-and-forth from Queens every month and hates flying with Spirit, even though they are the cheapest from NYC to DFW. With Spirit, its a no-frills type of airline and that's all that it is, a plane ride. Don't expect good customer service, a drink, or even a hello. That's how they can keep their prices so low. Check with American Airlines and United cause they have last minute weekend getaway type of deals that are from Friday to Tuesday. These airlines does that because they want to sell those empty seats. These last minute ticket deals are usually $199-$300 round trip per person which isn't bad for a last minute flight. The fine print is you need to fly on their schedule so it all depends on the flight. ymmv.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:06 PM

85 posts, read 144,707 times
Welcome to Plano.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:17 PM

Default Ty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl_cls02 View Post
Welcome to DFW! My buddy from NYC flies back-and-forth from Queens every month and hates flying with Spirit, even though they are the cheapest from NYC to DFW. With Spirit, its a no-frills type of airline and that's all that it is, a plane ride. Don't expect good customer service, a drink, or even a hello. That's how they can keep their prices so low. Check with American Airlines and United cause they have last minute weekend getaway type of deals that are from Friday to Tuesday. These airlines does that because they want to sell those empty seats. These last minute ticket deals are usually $199-$300 round trip per person which isn't bad for a last minute flight. The fine print is you need to fly on their schedule so it all depends on the flight. ymmv.
Thanks for the info jcl_cls02. That's alright. As long as we can make it there in one piece it'll work for us. We'll it and and drink on land LOL. Do you know or would you kindly ask if your buddy is a $9 club member with Spirit? Our Delta flight was great, took about 2hrs and 40 min for the flight duration, not counting boarding, waiting for take off, taxi to gate etc, Flght back was delayed by 3 hours! It sucked royally when stuck in airport wit teenager and 4 y.o. But it still beats driving w/ same crew in the car LOL.

Darn, why doesn't JetBlue fly (pardon me..."jets") from NYC to DWF? They do to HOU, and AUS. Just my luck.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:24 PM

Default Ty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekta82 View Post
Welcome to Plano.
Thank You Ekta82, hope all is well .

Old 07-02-2013, 11:36 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
I fly frequently between LGA & DFW and have for the past 10++ years. American offers the best schedule of the large carriers- almost a flight each hour. There don't seem to be as many direct Delta flights, fwiw. Never flown Spirit & don't plan to.

If your dates are flexible and/or you are traveling on weekends, flights in the $325-375 range are easy to find with American (add $100ish for Christmas or Thanksgiving). If you are traveling on weekdays (red flag for business travelers), it can easily be $800-1200 per ticket.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:27 AM

501 posts, read 1,191,418 times
If you don't mind flying through LAX or SfO look at Virgin America. They may offer cheaper fares.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:48 AM

Default Thank You

Thank You all for your responses.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:58 PM

85 posts, read 144,707 times
Yes, all good here. Still missing Kansas though!

Old 07-04-2013, 06:28 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,634,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from nv View Post
If you don't mind flying through LAX or SfO look at Virgin America. They may offer cheaper fares.
To end up in NY? You might save a few dollars, but would spend WAY too much time traveling.

To the OP - welcome to Texas! If you need to travel back and forth for your parents every month or two, have you considered leaving some people behind? Maybe just one adult and one kid for a trip, leaving the whole family to go for holidays, etc? I would guess your teenager will eventually be busy on the weekends with activities. Not going back so often might also help with the transistion.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: