Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 05:03 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times

Advertisements

Geeze Louise! Back to topic.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 05:54 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Geeze Louise! Back to topic.

Agreed, and thank you

Old 07-16-2013, 07:55 PM

81 posts, read 307,356 times
I moved from Illinois and I moved for the sole reason that its cheaper to live here. I was living in the south suburbs of Chicago, and now I'm in a Dallas suburb so life is pretty much the same. HOWEVER, you have to figure out what your highest costs are.

For me, renting the same amount of space (850 sqft apt) in Chicago was $995+$100 in electric. Here I am paying $700 for the same apartment size and $100 in electric.

Groceries cost less because the tax is lower, and the prices on the meat are lower. However, beer and wine are more expensive. Not a big deal for me because I only have wine on occasion.

Gas in the car is considerably less as well.

Many people don't think it's much of a saving, but I'm on a tight budget, and my money goes a lot farther here!

Old 07-17-2013, 09:47 AM

50 posts, read 98,973 times
We moved from LA and I'll just say what we save in not paying state income tax, standing alone, covers my mortgage.
My back of the napkin calculations:

Prepared food - cheaper by 20-40%
Groceries - cheaper by 5-10%
Gas - cheaper by 20-30%
Real estate - cheaper by 50+% (compounded by the mortgage interest deduction and exemption of capital gains tax on sales of your primary residence)
Education (private school, state university) - cheaper by 20-30%

I don't think there is any kind of math that you could do that would make Texas anywhere near as expensive as any place like SF, LA, NY, etc. The difference is a lot smaller if you're not coming from a high cost of living area like that though.

I think the other thing maybe people aren't fully aware of is that you can keep your tax burden pretty flat here for 10-15+ years if you don't move to a bigger house. You can't do that in a state that taxes your income--your tax burden just keeps going up and up if your income keeps going up. We did the math, and if we just conservatively invested the money we otherwise would've paid in California income tax, it added up to over a million dollars by the time we retired. I think that speaks for itself.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
We moved from LA and I'll just say what we save in not paying state income tax, standing alone, covers my mortgage.
My back of the napkin calculations:

Prepared food - cheaper by 20-40%
Groceries - cheaper by 5-10%
Gas - cheaper by 20-30%
Real estate - cheaper by 50+% (compounded by the mortgage interest deduction and exemption of capital gains tax on sales of your primary residence)
Education (private school, state university) - cheaper by 20-30%

I don't think there is any kind of math that you could do that would make Texas anywhere near as expensive as any place like SF, LA, NY, etc. The difference is a lot smaller if you're not coming from a high cost of living area like that though.

I think the other thing maybe people aren't fully aware of is that you can keep your tax burden pretty flat here for 10-15+ years if you don't move to a bigger house. You can't do that in a state that taxes your income--your tax burden just keeps going up and up if your income keeps going up. We did the math, and if we just conservatively invested the money we otherwise would've paid in California income tax, it added up to over a million dollars by the time we retired. I think that speaks for itself.

Well I am from MA, and I consider that a high cost of living area..Well I did anyway. But my back of the napkin calcs don't look like yours. I mean I can make it cheaper to live down there if I don't get a 3500 square foot house, which seems to be the norm. And keeping in mind, I need it with 3 kids and being used to having a basement. I can't see having any less...Anyway, other than the income tax I can't find how it's that much cheaper to move there.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:58 PM

4 posts, read 5,304 times
For professional reasons I wasn't able to make the move to Dallas, but I ran all the numbers and I would have saved alot of money moving to Dallas (assuming I'd find a comparable job). The biggest savings would have been right off the top. I can sell my tiny 50-year-old run-down 1,200 sq ft house in Montreal for $450,000, and we'd be more than comfortable in a new $300,000 house in the Dallas suburbs. After moving expenses and closing costs, I'd have more than $100,000 in my pocket and I'd have a major increase in comfort and standard of living.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:10 PM

692 posts, read 855,382 times
My rundown 50-yr old 2600 sf-er in Irving would probably go for about 130k, and be right on a number of peoples' solid commutes. Most city-data forum residents would rather chew off their own legs than live in a middle-class neighborhood like I do, but considering that you could double your footprint and put better than 300k in the bank in the process, I'm surprised more people don't go for it.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
My rundown 50-yr old 2600 sf-er in Irving would probably go for about 130k, and be right on a number of peoples' solid commutes. Most city-data forum residents would rather chew off their own legs than live in a middle-class neighborhood like I do, but considering that you could double your footprint and put better than 300k in the bank in the process, I'm surprised more people don't go for it.
Some people can't because they have children they need space. Not always that simple as you make it sound

Old 07-17-2013, 02:40 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Some people can't because they have children they need space. Not always that simple as you make it sound
I can think of two families we know - one has one child and lives in a ~1,300 sq ft. house in a middle class neighborhood, the other has 2 kids, lives in a ~2,200 sq ft house in a middle class neighborhood, but is looking to downsize to a 1,300 sq ft. house in a similar neighborhood. Their lives are just fine, thankyouverymuch, other than the normal annoyances everybody has to put up with.

Remember that many of us posting here (yourself included, IIRC) are in favorable financial circumstances compared to most of the population, which is all well and good, but we should remember that it's not that one "can't" do something, but rather we choose not to. If one is fortunate enough to be able to live in a "nicer" area in a larger home, they shouldn't take it for granted or assume that it's the only option.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but I've heard way too many people (usually in financial/budgeting situations) claim they "can't" do something when the truth is that they don't want to. There's a huge difference between "need" and "want", and way too many people (at all income levels) fail to grasp that.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:45 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Well I am from MA, and I consider that a high cost of living area..Well I did anyway. But my back of the napkin calcs don't look like yours. I mean I can make it cheaper to live down there if I don't get a 3500 square foot house, which seems to be the norm. And keeping in mind, I need it with 3 kids and being used to having a basement. I can't see having any less...Anyway, other than the income tax I can't find how it's that much cheaper to move there.
I forget - are you in rural-ish MA or near Boston? Also note that Boston is high cost of living but not as much as Cali or NYC or DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas