Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 07:53 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Not all of us in DFW pay tolls or HOA fees. You choose whether or not to pay those expenses by where you decide to live.
Very true. I have a toll tag, but it's only to make the journey cheaper on the rare occasion that I use a toll road. No HOA fees in my neighborhood in Richardson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 08:14 AM

574 posts, read 1,478,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I think the overall tax burden is lower, and housing costs on average are much lower. I can't buy anything decent in Boston (or a 10 mile partial circle around it) for the same amount as what I paid for mine here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl_cls02 View Post
FWIW, my auto insurance is way lower here once I moved here from the NE. Groceries is more here when comparing. Groceries are cheaper if you go to the cheaper super markets like Fiesta.
It's been 16 years since I lived in Massachusetts. But I feel groceries here are well priced from what I remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Not all of us in DFW pay tolls or HOA fees. You choose whether or not to pay those expenses by where you decide to live.
I can go months without getting on any toll roads, seeking alternate routes instead. I think you're more likely to find HOA fees in the suburbs rather than in neighborhoods inside 635.

We lived in Massachusetts for 11 years, spread between Boston, Waltham, and Maynard. When it came time to buy we could only afford a 2BR townhouse in Maynard in the $170K range (early 90's). When we moved south to ATL, that same $170K bought us a 4200 sf house with 5 bedrooms.

We have found the cost of living to be cheaper also in DFW than Boston. Other than housing and property taxes (we chose the Park Cities), we find Dallas and Atlanta to be very comparable in terms of cost of living in all the other areas, and cheaper than Boston. You will definitely come out ahead in housing here in DFW in most areas.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:07 AM

743 posts, read 1,320,776 times
I don't find that I save more money, but that I have more space. Housing plus transportation stays the same for middle-class people, but you have cars and 3-4 bedrooms instead of zipcar and a 1 bedroom with a den. Taxes are WAY less than NYC, but then almost all of that savings is spent on property taxes.

It is possible to save a great deal by moving to Texas. Two easiest ways: move from a mid-priced Park Slope type apartment to similarly sized (tiny by Texas standards) older home in, say, Lake Highlands.

or

Move from your $4M CT house to a $1M house in Plano West

But it's rare that people make those choices. The Park Slope types will want to upgrade their situation and the CT types will want to become the big dogs.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:15 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Nope. This one that is more recent and based on the state data rather than individual cities:
The best states for retirement aren't what you think - May. 6, 2013

Either way, it's not DFW but it most certainly is up to the individual regardless of which report is read on any given day.

There are also tax credits and other incentive programs to toss into the equation. For example, the city of Plano offers low interest loans for making your home more energy efficient. Depending on the level, this can make a significant impact to your bottom line over time.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:21 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Money mag rarely EVER cites the same city as best-retirement since to do so would make buying a new magazine unnecessary...
just keep in mind that it wants to sell magazines each month/year so it has to come up with "new" information...
and anyone who would really consider moving to Louisiana simply as a "retirement haven" has never spent any time in the state...
if you have family there maybe but take it from someone who lived there for several years and has visited there---
there are many better places to retire if you are starting from scratch to find someplace...

Old 07-03-2013, 09:38 AM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
I don't find that I save more money, but that I have more space. Housing plus transportation stays the same for middle-class people, but you have cars and 3-4 bedrooms instead of zipcar and a 1 bedroom with a den. Taxes are WAY less than NYC, but then almost all of that savings is spent on property taxes.

It is possible to save a great deal by moving to Texas. Two easiest ways: move from a mid-priced Park Slope type apartment to similarly sized (tiny by Texas standards) older home in, say, Lake Highlands.

or

Move from your $4M CT house to a $1M house in Plano West

But it's rare that people make those choices. The Park Slope types will want to upgrade their situation and the CT types will want to become the big dogs.
Your post is a real head scratcher as almost all of that first paragraph is inconsistent with available data.

ETA - for an example according to The Tax Foundation the overall tax burden in NY is the worst in the country. Texas is number 44 or 45 and by far the best of any big state. You are missing something.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Almost all of that first paragraph is inconsistent with available data.
Um. How?

Old 07-03-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Um. How?
I edited the above. Saying that taxes are roughly equivalent between Texas and NY is straight up absurd.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I edited the above. Saying that taxes are roughly equivalent between Texas and NY is straight up absurd.
Ok, thanks. I didn't mean to imply that taxes were the same. I mean that mandatory budget items (taxes, housing, transportation, utilities, health insurance) are roughly the same percentage of your income in both places. HOWEVER, you get way more space and personal auto ownership in Texas.

This is because people tend to choose to take those income tax savings and spend it on their house. If someone wanted to they could keep living in a New York style 500 sq ft apartment and save bank in Dallas. But what's the fun in that?

Old 07-03-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Ok, thanks. I didn't mean to imply that taxes were the same. I mean that mandatory budget items (taxes, housing, transportation, utilities, health insurance) are roughly the same percentage of your income in both places. HOWEVER, you get way more space and personal auto ownership in Texas.

This is because people tend to choose to take those income tax savings and spend it on their house. If someone wanted to they could keep living in a New York style 500 sq ft apartment and save bank in Dallas. But what's the fun in that?

I'll post some more hard numbers tonight. There's no real comparison COL-wise including taxes or not between NYC and Dallas.

All in ex taxes life costs more than 2.25X in NY than Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas