Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 06:33 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,617 times

Advertisements

I am starting this thread in hopes of stirring up a more current conversation about how Texas, DFW specifically, really stacks up to other more expensive regions of the country. Northeast in particular..

I live in MA, have Family in DFW, and family getting ready to move there. Let's just say I have done alot of long-term research on the market, and like it alot and would consider a move. But the one very important detail I am discovering in my comparitive analysis to where I live now, is it's not really cheaper for me to live there!

My overall tax burden here (property/stateincome) totals about $12k. When I compare Texas to that, by the time I factor in property taxes, increased cost in homeowners insurance, and auto insurance, higher tolls, electric bills, HOA fees, the cost of Texas doesn't really seem to be as attractive.

I would like to know:

1) what am I missing-I ask this because EVERYONE seems to start out being oversimplistic and thinking it's cheaper to live in Tx

2) solid examples from folks who moved from high cost areas how they saved by moving to Texas- acutal numbers are helpful.

Last edited by skids929; 07-03-2013 at 06:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 06:56 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,792 times
I honestly don't know anyone who has moved here to save money. There are lots of other reasons like a healthy job market, plentiful housing, or convenient transportation hubs. You might want to look into the top states for retirement if lowering your expenses is your motivation for relocating. Texas doesn't even make the top 10 in the latest CNNMoney report.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:01 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
I honestly don't know anyone who has moved here to save money. There are lots of other reasons like a healthy job market, plentiful housing, or convenient transportation hubs. You might want to look into the top states for retirement if lowering your expenses is your motivation for relocating. Texas doesn't even make the top 10 in the latest CNNMoney report.
This report?

25 Best Places to Retire - Austin, TX (5) - Money Magazine

Austin makes number 5.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:30 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
So much of this depends on the Lifestyle you're accustomed to living and where you want to live.

I can live in Sherman very simply or I can live in Highland Park and run with the big dogs.

But most people I work with from MAJOR Northeast cities, DFW is cheaper. If you're in North Attleboro Mass., it may not be any cheaper.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:34 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
I think the overall tax burden is lower, and housing costs on average are much lower. I can't buy anything decent in Boston (or a 10 mile partial circle around it) for the same amount as what I paid for mine here.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:40 AM

277 posts, read 678,585 times
FWIW, my auto insurance is way lower here once I moved here from the NE. Groceries is more here when comparing. Groceries are cheaper if you go to the cheaper super markets like Fiesta.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:40 AM

177 posts, read 311,887 times
You need to give more data in order to analyze the situation.

What is your home value? Property tax for the home alone?

Texas > MA in the state income tax category as we have none

HOA fees do not apply everywhere, so that depends on where you buy. Many places are $600/yr or less though, so I wouldn't think that is much of a factor in the grand scheme and that shouldn't be very relevant in the grand scheme

Old 07-03-2013, 07:44 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
State and Local Tax Burdens: All States, One Year, 1977 - 2010 | Tax Foundation

My guess is your tax analysis is off. Overall taxes in Mass are much higher. Although it is possible your particular situation does not hold across the masses.

Much of ones overall tax burden, especially in high tax states like Mass is somewhat hidden in various ways like high business taxes that are 100% passed on to the consumer in the form of higher prices, high gas taxes, high fees and taxes on utilities etc. Also high tax states tend to clump together so one ends up paying lots of difficult to detect taxes into neighboring states. Depending upon slop factors Mass is 6/8th worst in terms of high taxes - Texas is 40/43rd.

I have link at home that parses out various relative costs foods/rent/gas/healthcare etch from city to city. I'll DM that to you tonight.

ETA -
Ex of taxes COL between Boston and Dallas, the best comparison I could find on the fly, Dallas is 30% less expensive. Including taxes the gap would be wider.

Dallas is less across all of the "big five" costs:
Groceries -15%
Housing -53%
Utilities -27%
Transportation -2%
Healthcare -14%

Last edited by EDS_; 07-03-2013 at 07:57 AM..

Old 07-03-2013, 07:52 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Not all of us in DFW pay tolls or HOA fees. You choose whether or not to pay those expenses by where you decide to live.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:53 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,823 times
Don't forget schools. Are you going public v. private route? DFW has numerous good public school districts. If you are going private, you will also likely find that our comparable private schools are cheaper (or just not quite as expensive...).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas