Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2007, 07:02 PM

26 posts, read 98,944 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a 24 yr. old single female looking for a change of pace from New Hampshire, where I've lived for most of my life. The city I'm most familiar with is Boston, not far from me. I want to spend the winter somewhere warm- anyone with any feedback about living/working in Dallas? i.e. cost of living, employment opps for those with a BA, nightlife and fun, singles? Any info. would be appreciated

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 08:32 PM

88 posts, read 366,886 times
Dallas is different from Boston (I grew up in Brookline and lived in Dallas for like a year a and a half) in a bunch of ways - some good, some not. Overall, I would say the cost of living (especially housing) is a lot less in Dallas, and its easier to drive somewhere in a few minutes to grab something from a grocery store, Best Buy, whatever. There is always plenty to do, especially if you are willing to look around. It isn't as pretty as Boston, and there isn't the drive in the community to make the city pretty, but there are pretty areas, and plenty of trails and all that.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:27 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,801,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfern View Post
Hi,

I'm a 24 yr. old single female looking for a change of pace from New Hampshire, where I've lived for most of my life. The city I'm most familiar with is Boston, not far from me. I want to spend the winter somewhere warm- anyone with any feedback about living/working in Dallas? i.e. cost of living, employment opps for those with a BA, nightlife and fun, singles? Any info. would be appreciated

Thanks!
There is a vast difference between NH/Boston and Dallas, but those of us here think it is one on the positive side! Cost of living is extremely less than in your area, especially Boston... most young singles prefer the Uptown area of Dallas. And, too, a lot of singles seem to prefer Houston over Dallas, but what do they know?!?

Opportunities come and go... and are especially slow approaching the holidays through the first of the year... usually picks up again in Feb. But, who knows, you may the very one they're looking for right now, so start applying!

Good luck!

Old 11-07-2007, 10:40 PM

686 posts, read 2,436,634 times
The job market here is pretty good. Better than a lot of places. You probably shouldn't have too much trouble finding a job with a degree. I would suggest using a recruiter. That's what I usually do. The winters here will be quite a bit milder than what you are used to. It may snow/ice a few times a year, but usually doesn't last long. There are plenty of bars/clubs around for just about any taste. Do you plan on renting an apartment/condo or buying something? I don't think the cost of living here is bad at all...especially compared with a lot of large cities around the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas