Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 11:06 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Look you are being obtuse. It's not like folks in Vancouver don't drive - they do. It simply sucks to drive there.
No you're being ignorant. People in Vancouver have options to live car free we can only dream of here.

The prescription you offer for Dallas is the same that's being implemented in Houston, Atlanta and Phoenix with predictably grim results.

Well golly, as between Portland, San Francisco and Vancouver on the one hand or Houston, Atlanta and Phoenix on the other I know which I'd rather Dallas be more like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 11:22 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
No you're being ignorant. People in Vancouver have options to live car free we can only dream of here.
e.
Ugh. Its not my dream. And why should I pay for yours?

Driverless cars will make this discussion moot anyway.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:24 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,614 times
For Dallas city to do better:

1. Finish the Trinity River project.
2. Make public permitting faster and more streamlined.
3. Change the current city government to a strong mayor system.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:25 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post

Might as well be waiting for the next ice age..And isn't this concept sort of analgous to public transit.

Notice thats not a question.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:30 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post

I love it when these conversations inevitably lead to the dorm room bull session level of ideas (robots will fix it all!), instead of focusing in on what has been proven to make cities great all over the world for thousands of years.

Anyway, why wouldn't you want to have options. Even if you never use them every person on a bus, train or bike is another car not on the road. And bike lanes are cheap, very very cheap.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:52 AM

19,790 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
I love it when these conversations inevitably lead to the dorm room bull session level of ideas (robots will fix it all!), instead of focusing in on what has been proven to make cities great all over the world for thousands of years.

Anyway, why wouldn't you want to have options. Even if you never use them every person on a bus, train or bike is another car not on the road. And bike lanes are cheap, very very cheap.
You take pre-Byzantine Constantinople - I'll take present day Preston Hollow to live and DTD for work.

The problem with all of the alternative means of transportation is money. Per mile traveled they are all incredibly expensive. Bike trails that people use for fun are one example. DART light rail and bus service are others. urban

Also for the record you chastising someone for dorm room level logic is preciously ironic. Also for the record I like your posts.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:57 AM

19,790 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Recapping
Infrastructure - water. sewer, and roads
Fix I-30 at The Canyon
Make the ramp from northbound I-35 onto Woodall Rogers at least two lanes for cryin' out loud
Develop the Trinity River Basin - if the Japanese can build an airport on reclaimed sea space we can build in the basin

I would help to have a big university in/around Dallas

Old 07-09-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Recapping
Fix I-30 at The Canyon
Make the ramp from northbound I-35 onto Woodall Rogers at least two lanes for cryin' out loud
Develop the Trinity River Basin - if the Japanese can build an airport on reclaimed sea space we can build in the basin

Giddy up!

Old 07-09-2013, 12:01 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Recapping
Fix I-30 at The Canyon

TCU, SMU, UTD, UTA, UNT, and TWU aren't enough?

Old 07-09-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
TCU, SMU, UTD, UTA, UNT, and TWU aren't enough?
Are any of those IN Dallas? like in the city..

Isn't TCU in Fort Worth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas