Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 07:45 AM

18 posts, read 52,380 times

Advertisements

Yep Ridge view at Panther Creek is what we were looking at.
What place has Verizon in Frisco? Yep i run a company at home and transfer
many files and have to down big files for images often.
Long as u-verse is stable i guess i can deal with the 250gb a month.
Will that community ever let Time Warner or any cable company in? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 07:54 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
I've had u-verse for years, I stream Netflix and Amazon videos all evening, and I've never been charged for going over some usage cap.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:13 AM

I keep reading maybe Frisco will get Verizon Fiber but can't get a real answer.
Some one mentioned online once you get it in the Southern Parts of Frisco? where is that at?
We are really looking for new homes only right now is why i asked.
For us internet is really important and want options at least.
Thanks for everyone input so far it is helping us out.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:48 AM

53 posts, read 144,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
I think when AT&T laid those cables they wanted some protection for their investment. Usually this is the case but I could be wrong. Yes, FIOS is the way to go but it is not available in Frisco for the most part. Moreover, I think HOAs signed up with AT&T such restrictive covenants to get better rates. Another reason why HOAs are incapable for the most part to do anything advantageous for the community. Craig Ranch HOA is the case in point

https://www.change.org/petitions/the...ract-with-at-t
The "network" guy who wrote that is misinformed. Uverse is set at 18 megaBITS, not megaBYTES. 18 Megabits (Mbps) is roughtly 2.25 Megabytes, which isn't too far off his 1.5 (plus they use the verbiage *up to) Just an FYI.

It could be worst... you're stuck on DSL (6Mbps) like some richardson communities. Fiber is great (Fios is best) but uverse internet isn't too bad. They do throttle content streaming i.e youtube and twitch.tv which really sucks (Time Warner does the same throttling). The data cap sucks though, but i bet most people aren't getting close to that 250GB/month cap unless your torrenting hardcore.

All Internet is awful and it's essentially choosing the lesser evil.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:54 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjen View Post
The "network" guy who wrote that is misinformed. Uverse is set at 18 megaBITS, not megaBYTES. 18 Megabits (Mbps) is roughtly 2.25 Megabytes, which isn't too far off his 1.5 (plus they use the verbiage *up to) Just an FYI.

It could be worst... you're stuck on DSL (6Mbps) like some richardson communities. Fiber is great (Fios is best) but uverse internet isn't too bad. They do throttle content streaming i.e youtube and twitch.tv which really sucks (Time Warner does the same throttling). The data cap sucks though, but i bet most people aren't getting close to that 250GB/month cap unless your torrenting hardcore.
My speed is faster than that on u-verse in Richardson. Last time I clocked I think it came in around 10. Not blazing fast, but fast enough for my needs. I don't torrent.

Quote:
All Internet is awful and it's essentially choosing the lesser evil.
You win the thread.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:31 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
I keep reading maybe Frisco will get Verizon Fiber but can't get a real answer.
Some one mentioned online once you get it in the Southern Parts of Frisco? where is that at?
We are really looking for new homes only right now is why i asked.
Fios is a giant money loser for Verizon so they have slowed/stopped the rollout while the economy is poor. You should look in the plenty of existing neighborhoods around the metroplex if you want it. Say it with me -used houses are ok. IMO, the internet service is alright, but the tv service is slipping and you can really tell they have put next to no investment into it since it launched.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:42 AM

I am glad i am keeping Dish Network had it for years and love it.
All at&t will get out of me is the u-verse fiber it seems.
I will pick the 24mbps package for fiber after looking at there site.
Right now on Time Warner i am getting 24 download speeds.
So i guess it will be the same speed just 250gb a month cap thing.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:01 AM

Could some one explain the difference fiber to node vs premises means? Thanks

Old 07-10-2013, 12:22 PM

551 posts, read 1,099,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmqin View Post
Could some one explain the difference fiber to node vs premises means? Thanks
Fiber to node - Fiber is run to a "node" near a cluster of homes. The final connection to your house comes in on existing phone lines. Uverse is Fiber to node. It is cheaper to roll out and easier to retrofit to older neighborhoods. Speeds and reliability vary depending on the copper phone lines running to your house.

Fiber to premises - Fiber is run directly to your house. FiOS is Fiber to premises. Higher roll out cost. Primarily put into new construction. Much faster and reliable.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:40 PM

645 posts, read 835,495 times
Mine is a FIOS area, so no uVerse for me. FIOS is very expensive. That is why i went with TWC. Getting good service. Recently upgraded to 30Mbps for $20 for one year promo. Well they said they did it, still getting 15Mbps. Will give them a banging this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: