Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 05:50 PM

563 posts, read 3,743,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Then those "couples" friends you've worked hard to make will all drop off by the wayside anyway once you have kids. Then your friends will be parents of your children''s friends.
LOL and you'll be going to bed by 9 and have no time for a social life anyway . . .

No honestly, just relax and strike up conversations when and if they occur. Churches, synagogues, or workplaces are great places to meet people who share like interests. Another way to meet people who might be likeminded is to volunteer if you have extra time. If you are a reader, libraries have book clubs. Or take a class about something you are interested in. The parks systems have many classes as do YMCA's and JCC's. Get out and about!
However, I've learned the hard way to meet people a few times on neutral territory (a park, restaurant, movie, etc) before inviting them into our homes. A surprising number of 'friendly' people are trying to sell you something or pitch you some idea and its easier to cut the cord that way.
Good luck and enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 11:13 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,583 times
go to the 'store' and 'purchase' a Kid, accommodations can be made when you kid makes friends. Churches, Organizations, and parties a good way to meet people. Go to social events. When you have a Kid you kid will socialize and you can set up a play date... then you start to have relations with all the other mommies. That is probably a good way to meet decent people who are in a similar situation as you.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:01 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,754,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Then those "couples" friends you've worked hard to make will all drop off by the wayside anyway once you have kids. Then your friends will be parents of your children''s friends.
Actually, this is a very good point. It is exceedingly hard to have strong friendships (contrary to acquaintenceship) once you enter head-of-family age.

Which the OP seems to experience.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:17 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
You've got to be outgoing --

Preservation Dallas is a great place to meet people -- sign up for their tours, especially. Also political functions -- I just had a great time (except for losing) at The Mac on McKinney at the "Vote YES" party the other night.

Is there a homeowner's group in your area?

The DMA has a lot of functions - also other arts organizations.

What kind of places do you go? You can easily meet people at places like Vickery Park and The Monk patios, Louie's, The Tipp (Trivia Night is great), Lakewood Lounge, etc...you just have to make an effort.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:42 PM

109 posts, read 611,456 times
Lakewooder has hit it correctly, IMHO... I live in DC area presently with my hubby... no kids... (step daughter who is 27 & on her own, etc.). You HAVE to be outgoing, no matter how hard & know when to back off. Those folks who don't have time to chat with you b/c they are mowing the lawn, fixing the car, watching TV, whatever, write 'em off. They are too wrapped up in their own gig to even want to expand their circle.

When I can back to DC from Germany (8/05) we were trying new churches... we happened to park at one church right next to a lady who had the same exact car as ours, and I started talking to her right away b/c we were both getting out of the car at the same time. To make it brief, she is a good friend now & has included me in lots of social occasions and I've had the opportunity to meet even more people! I also belong to a dog club which I found on the internet and have met nice folks that way too. Keep reaching out, other like minded people will turn up.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:15 PM

9 posts, read 23,810 times
Good question! My husband and I are both a young professional couple (25, 28) relocating to McKinney from California.

We are big animal nuts, so we're opting to maybe volunteer at a shelter and try to find other like-minded folks. We're atheist, so the church option is out for us, but we're definately going to try to be regulars at little ma-n-pa shops and try to be good neighbors .. etc etc.. and facilitate friendships (We hope!) from there!

Old 11-13-2007, 08:40 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Speaking of dogs, this is a great place to meet people: White Rock Lake Dog Park

Old 11-13-2007, 09:41 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,754,879 times
In my experience, the suggestions in this thread make it possible to meet new people, all right.

But after you made "friends" (or so you think), try being less outgoing for a while and see, how many will make an effort to even call you. IME, very, very few adults are willing to have a friendship that is deeper than meaningless polite chit-chat. But that can also be because of me, of course....

Old 11-13-2007, 10:05 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
In my experience, the suggestions in this thread make it possible to meet new people, all right.

But after you made "friends" (or so you think), try being less outgoing for a while and see, how many will make an effort to even call you. IME, very, very few adults are willing to have a friendship that is deeper than meaningless polite chit-chat. But that can also be because of me, of course....
I have very good friends that we can go two weeks w/o talking. Most of that is due to the fact we are so heavily involved in our kids activities. That is par for the course but you still have to stay in touch and make a commitment to get together.

As for have a kid and then you become friends w/ their friends parents - that does not always work. The kids might be good friends but if the parents have totally different ideas, morals, values, interests, etc then it is hard for the parents to be friends. You can get along fine at events w/ the kids and such but these are not going to be your BEST FRIENDS (or should I say bf ). It is easy to get involved w/ something YOURSELF that is of interest to you and find like minded ADULTS that can become good, long lasting friends. If they happen to have kids close to your kids ages then that is even better. Church is one very good option and not just by attending a huge worship service but get involved in a Bible study group or Sunday School class. If you have an interest or hobby find clubs for those. There are SOOOOO many clubs around here for just about everything it would be impossible for one to not find SOMETHING that would fit them.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:27 AM

875 posts, read 1,092,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsBrittney View Post
Good question! My husband and I are both a young professional couple (25, 28) relocating to McKinney from California.

We are big animal nuts, so we're opting to maybe volunteer at a shelter and try to find other like-minded folks. We're atheist, so the church option is out for us, but we're definately going to try to be regulars at little ma-n-pa shops and try to be good neighbors .. etc etc.. and facilitate friendships (We hope!) from there!
Look online for social clubs in the McKinney area. This could be a good starting point.

McKinney Ladies Who Lunch (McKinney, TX) - Meetup.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas