Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 5,897 times

Advertisements

So my boyfriend and I recently moved to Dallas after we both graduated from college....we both have "real jobs" and know basically no one in the area! We are in the uptown area and getting a bit lonely...haha. Any advice on good ways to meet people around our age would be appreciated!

(Sorry if this has already been asked..)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 10:32 PM

10 posts, read 35,547 times
Well, you posted just a little too late from the sounds of things. The Cherry Pit in Duncanville just got shut down

Just kidding.

We are in the same boat. We have lived in the area for coming up on two years and still haven't really connected with very many "friends". It seems like this area is just harder to meet people. Everyone is just too busy to acknowledge you. That, and the fact that we live way up north away from everything fun thats going on.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:53 AM

709 posts, read 3,473,293 times
Hope this is taken with good intent... I have many friends at work in their twenties and many of them that have moved here from other states find that the local churches (usually larger) offer a way for them to meet others outside of work.

Prestonwood Baptist, Park Cities Presby, Providence Presby (I think this is correct), Park Cities Baptist, Fellowship (Grapevine) and I think there is one in the Downtown area, Bent Tree Bible Fellowship, Highland Park Methodist... these are just some of the churches I've heard mentioned lately, that they are attending, and many for these very reasons you mention... wanting to make friends in a new area.

Good luck!

Old 11-10-2007, 09:46 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,067,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subijmt View Post
Well, you posted just a little too late from the sounds of things. The Cherry Pit in Duncanville just got shut down

Just kidding.

We are in the same boat. We have lived in the area for coming up on two years and still haven't really connected with very many "friends". It seems like this area is just harder to meet people. Everyone is just too busy to acknowledge you. That, and the fact that we live way up north away from everything fun thats going on.
Too busy to acknowledge you?

It's probably not a good idea to approach people when they're preoccupied. When I'm halfway finished with mowing my lawn, or getting frustrated trying to fix my car... those are not good times to walk up to me and start chatting. If I'm watching a mystery on TV and you call to shoot the breeze just before I find out who done it, I'm not going to be very accommodating.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:02 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
Consider folks you work with. Join a church in that area. Join a club or a political organization or other group. Go to the same restaurants or Starbucks or whatever and become a regular. You can meet folks that way. How about neighbors? College alum or football watching groups that support teams from your former home? Homeowners association funtions? Season tickets at the Mavs. You'll sit by the same people every game. Use online groups to meet folks in real life.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:23 AM

49 posts, read 218,999 times
My husband and I just moved here. I figured it takes significant time and effort to make friends, so this has been our plan (which somewhat mirrors what FND said):

1. Join interest organizations and stick with them for a while (we started going to the "Young Sierrans" group and a discussion group... also thinking of finding a sports league for casual matches)

2. Look for groups on Meetup.com (there are so many meetups around here!)

3. Take an interest in people around us (work, neighborhood), maybe join the neighborhood association. Do volunteer work.

4. If none of that works after a year or so, we will consider joining a UU church.

Especially if you're used to the seemingly ready-made social groups that can form in college, all these activities can seem artificial and awkward. But I think this is the main way to find friends if you aren't a big church goer.

Good luck!

Old 11-10-2007, 11:52 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,754,626 times
Or you could just make love and have a baby or two or three. That'll cure the loneliness.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:12 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
Or you could just make love and have a baby or two or three. That'll cure the loneliness.
Then those "couples" friends you've worked hard to make will all drop off by the wayside anyway once you have kids. Then your friends will be parents of your children''s friends.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:58 PM

10 posts, read 35,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Too busy to acknowledge you?

It's probably not a good idea to approach people when they're preoccupied. When I'm halfway finished with mowing my lawn, or getting frustrated trying to fix my car... those are not good times to walk up to me and start chatting. If I'm watching a mystery on TV and you call to shoot the breeze just before I find out who done it, I'm not going to be very accommodating.

It just seems that the general public makes it a point to be cold and impersonal. There are a lot of good people out there, you just have to be nice to everyone and show them that it is ok to still care about other people. It just took awhile to get used to this area because of the difference in attitude.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:19 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,237,271 times
Young couples all over the country are having a great time meeting people and learning important things at the same time through the "Rich Dad Poor Dad" clubs. They meet on a regular basis and play the "Cash Flow Game". There are dozens of the groups all over the metroplex and lots of other cities, too. Nobody is selling anything.....it's just learning to manage and invest your money and they have lots of fun playing the game and learning together. I know of one group in Carrollton that has done remarkably well.

If you are interested in locating one, you might ask at a nearby bookstore (Barnes/Noble, etc). You'd need to read the book first, get familiar with the game, then maybe scout around for a group you'd enjoy being with. If you are interested and can't find a list of groups, I might can locate a list for you from someone I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas