Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 08:28 PM

5 posts, read 7,076 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm Dallas born and bred and yeah, it's bad. I have my theories but some are not politically correct so I'll save them. I just wish people would learn what a passing lane is for and use common sense when they get on the road. For now, I'm working on my 5 year plan to get to NY. After 32 years in Dallas (minus 4 for college), I need to be somewhere that I can walk most places because I'm seriously fed up with the driving and roads situation (the never-ending construction is driving me crazy) here....amongst other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 08:37 PM

34 posts, read 54,517 times
Most of the big Texas cities have stupid drivers. We have a lot of cars so that is what you get.

The absolute worst drivers on the planet have this tattooed on their licenses plates - Louisiana.

I live in Houston currently and most know if you see that you need to stay away. Try I10 going into Louisiana. Laffeyette, Baton Rouge, Lake Charles... these have to be some of the worst, erratic, unforgiving drivers you will ever come across.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:42 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,890,626 times
Dallas drivers definitely took it easier than Houston drivers.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:47 PM

29 posts, read 43,008 times
I bet a lot of the rude ones you see are Californian. We know they're moving here in droves...I'm sure they're making the driving worse.

I'll still gladly take the roads here to the roads there any day.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:21 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,272,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuykendall View Post
Most of the big Texas cities have stupid drivers. We have a lot of cars so that is what you get.

The absolute worst drivers on the planet have this tattooed on their licenses plates - Louisiana.

I live in Houston currently and most know if you see that you need to stay away. Try I10 going into Louisiana. Laffeyette, Baton Rouge, Lake Charles... these have to be some of the worst, erratic, unforgiving drivers you will ever come across.
That hasn't been my experience at all. The bad drivers in Houston are almost always teenagers, foreigners, or the elderly.

I've learned that "bad driver" is a pretty relative term. The middle-aged housewife going under the speed limit in the left lane will see the guy blowing his horn at her as an "erratic" or "unforgiving" motorist, even though he's just trying to get to work and doesn't have time for her lackadaisical driving.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:45 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,438,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VZilyV View Post

Left turn pocket with green light but no green arrow. Move into the intersection and get ready to turn folks! If the light turns yellow and then red, you have the right of way to exit the intersection safely. One car is guaranteed to get through per cycle, even if there wasn't a green arrow. Don't just sit there!

I think this suggestion - assuming that's a suggestion - is on borrowed time. I've been wondering when the traffic cams will start calling that a blown light.

Similarly, I wonder when failing a complete stop before right on red will generated a bill from CoCo.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:50 PM

3,810 posts, read 8,710,235 times
Actually I was told by an officer that you cannot sit in the intersection waiting to turn. You can only move into it if you can continue moving thru the intersection. (he did seem to indicate that a snail's pace does still count as moving tho)

Old 07-21-2013, 10:36 PM

29 posts, read 43,008 times
It was explicitly taught in the last traffic course I took. The only real rule was that you have to keep your tires straight (So that if hit from behind, you won't roll into traffic). The law on this one explicitly states what is prohibited. There is no law prohibiting the entering of the intersection on a green, unless you cannot safely exit the intersection (because traffic is so backed up that there's nowhere to go...like people so often do going straight) This is where it confuses people because one situation is legal and one is explicitly illegal.

It could never be a "blown light" because your entire car was in the intersection before the light turned red (or even yellow).

Now failing to complete stop before right on red has always been illegal.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:21 PM

60 posts, read 186,699 times
I think Dallas drivers overall are more considerate. People give you way a lot more here when you have to merge compared to other cities.

What I've noticed though is that more drivers here are kind of oblivious to other cars around them. The construction doesn't help, but I've seen lots of cars that don't stay in their own lane and it's pretty scary especially on the expressways where the lanes are so narrow due to construction.

Driving in Texas was an adjustment for me because it's different with all the freeways and business roads. Add in the construction and yeah... I'm sorry!

Old 07-22-2013, 06:50 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,442,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycool1111 View Post
Bright lights are meant for foggy conditions
Thats actually an AWFUL idea. Sounds like you need to learn some rules of the road as well....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas