Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you get sick of people asking you if you're REALLY from here?
Yes 6 30.00%
No 13 65.00%
Other (please explain) 1 5.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 07:40 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

When I'm out and about meeting new people, they sometimes ask me where I'm from.

Me: "I'm from Dallas, I live in Richardson now."

Which invariably leads to....

"No, where do you come from?"

Me: "Dallas."
Them: "Where did you live before you lived in Dallas?"
Me: (In my own head) "In my mother's uterus." (What I actually say) "I was born and raised here, I've lived many other places but came back here a few years ago."
Them: (Blinking in confusion) "So...you're from here originally?"
Me: "Yes."
Them: "Oh. Wow."
Me: "Why wow?"
Them: "It's just so rare to meet someone who's actually from here..."
Me: "Didn't used to be." *wink*

Anyone else tired of having this conversation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 08:27 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,846 times
Nope. I'm proud of being a fourth generation Texan.

Don't agree with most of those folks in the legislature; but, I'm still proud of my heritage.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Nope. I'm proud of being a fourth generation Texan.

Don't agree with most of those folks in the legislature; but, I'm still proud of my heritage.
The poll is not meant to imply that there should be shame in being a native Texan.

It's more to express my frustration with constantly being asked by transplants if I'm really from here, because they assume everyone is a transplant like them.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:40 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The poll is not meant to imply that there should be shame in being a native Texan.

It's more to express my frustration with constantly being asked by transplants if I'm really from here, because they assume everyone is a transplant like them.
I can see why you would be frustrated with a conversation like that... add I'm a native Dallasite to the first response you give and if that confuses them they might not be worth spending more time to explain what native means.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:44 AM

990 posts, read 2,303,464 times
My initial reaction to your post was that I've never been asked this, but then again, thinking about it, I'm asked all the time. I think this is normal these days though. Just a product of having such a transient culture. I'd bet its much more annoying to someone like my gf who is from Dallas, but people are insinuating what country or what part of India she is from.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:05 AM

953 posts, read 1,830,946 times
Quote:
When I'm out and about meeting new people, they sometimes ask me where I'm from.

Me: "I'm from Dallas, I live in Richardson now."

Which invariably leads to....

"No, where do you come from?"

Me: "Dallas."
Them: "Where did you live before you lived in Dallas?"
Me: (In my own head) "In my mother's uterus." (What I actually say) "I was born and raised here, I've lived many other places but came back here a few years ago."
Them: (Blinking in confusion) "So...you're from here originally?"
Me: "Yes."
Them: "Oh. Wow."
Me: "Why wow?"
Them: "It's just so rare to meet someone who's actually from here..."
Me: "Didn't used to be." *wink*

Anyone else tired of having this conversation?
If you just answer the first question by saying "I was born and raised in Richardson" or "I grew up just 10 minutes from here..." I don't think you will have follow-on questions. I can understand your frustration that the city has grown so much in the last few decades but hopefully, kids of these new migrants will live to say "I was born and raised in Dallas..." I am not sure why do you have to make such a big deal out of it.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
If you just answer the first question by saying "I was born and raised in Richardson" or "I grew up just 10 minutes from here..." I don't think you will have follow-on questions. I can understand your frustration that the city has grown so much in the last few decades but hopefully, kids of these new migrants will live to say "I was born and raised in Dallas..." I am not sure why do you have to make such a big deal out of it.
Even when I say I was born here, they're like "Oh wow, REALLY?"

Yes, really. There was a city here before y'all got here.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:19 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,463,188 times
Quote:

I've come to understand that the majority of people honestly think that the universe revolves around them.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:45 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,846 times
Quote:

I didn't take the poll that way. Just saying that the amazement and questions don't bother me because I am a Texan.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:28 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,792 times
I usually point to the nearest door leading outside and tell them I came from there but I'm a bit of a gypsy so any other answer tends to involve more words than people are really interested in processing.
On the flip side, I never ask people if they are 'really' from a place they claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas