Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 11:35 AM

3 posts, read 2,380 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody,

I'm a 24 year old young professional relocating from the DC area later this fall. From what I've read it looks like the place I want to be is Uptown (I still like to go out and have plenty of fun, but I'm also not looking to relive my fraternity years.)

I've been doing pretty extensive research on specific places to live and I've come across a weird trend where there are multiple reviews for every complex almost universally that complain about broken parking garages/facilities in their buildings that result in break-ins to their cars, bums rumbling around the property, etc. I wouldn't call it small, but it's something that you wouldn't usually think about which is why I bring it up.

Anyway, I don't have an exact budget in mind yet but was anticipating a 900-1200 range for rent. I'd prefer to live in a bigger community/high rise where there aren't issues with security (shocking, right?). On the flip side, I don't mind if the unit is on the smaller side or the complex isn't new. Do you have any suggestions on specific buildings? Also, please correct me if any of the assumptions I've made are wrong.

If it's any help to you if you're familiar with DC, I'm coming from the Arlington/Rosslyn VA area and am looking for a similar vibe.

Thanks so much!

GP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 03:19 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Uptown is a good choice and probably a little less 'frat' than its reputation. As an apartment manager friend reminds me, many of those apartment complaints are generated by complainers. You would probably find the same conditions at many upscale apartments as you would find in Uptown, or elsewhere in the DFW. And renters in the Dallas/Fort Worth area have plenty of options, many of which will be recommended to you in following posts.

You can find Uptown on a google map near downtown, between US75 and Turtle Creek (yes, it's a creek). Just to the west of Uptown is an other early 20th century subdivision - Oak Lawn. Focus on the area of Oak Lawn north of Lemmon Ave. There are plenty of new townhones, and there are some older apartments. Typically, you'll need to make a drive by for rental signs in this area.

The biggest criteria you'll need to clarify is 'What part of town is your job located?' Not an address or company, but BFEgypt north or Fort Worth? Or Irving or downtown? The DFW area is huge. We'll try to help you navigate a good decision. A bad commute in Dallas will kill any good vibe.

And yeah, Dallas has homeless people. Just put your old levi's, or old microwave, or left over turkey dinner in a plastic bag out by the dumpster. It'll be gone by dark.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the response.

I guess I should have clarified this originally, but I'm thinking about relocating just of pure desire to get up and go, not for my job or anything. So at this point I don't have a job yet (and obviously no location.) I have read about how big the area is and seen the warnings against long commutes. I'm from the DC area and am used to horrendous traffic, for what that's worth. That being said, I'd obviously like to avoid it as much as possible. I'd also read that Uptown was really the central location for people like me, so that's where I was starting my search.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:43 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
You need to get a job before you relocate here, and even more so if you will be renting. An apartment will not sign a lease with someone who does not have verifiable income. Also, the DFW area is HUGE, and if your job is a long way from where you live (such as in Fort Worth), your commute will suck the life out of you.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:50 AM

Haha I do know that much thanks, I started this to get ideas and so I can try and make a specific plan for when I make a preliminary trip down next month to look for a job and housing.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:18 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
That's a good point Christie makes. You might be sure to take a look at the north Oak Lawn area as there are different kinds of rentals in that area. Some will rent just for the cash as long as you don't have a criminal background (no implications there - just demonstration). I've rented there three times (over a forty years time span) with no job reference.

Be sure to take note pad and cell phone should you see a rental sign in a yard or window. Make the call right away. Also, check Craigslist for Oak Lawn apartment. Choose Dallas, Apts/Housing , enter Oak Lawn for search filter, include with pic.

North Oak Lawn is great neighborhood. An original early 20th century subdivision of Dallas, now a refurbishing urban neighborhood. Largely with off street parking...

Old 07-26-2013, 12:55 PM

170 posts, read 369,707 times
GP- I moved to Dallas from NOVA just under a year ago. I was working in Uptown and our office has now moved downtown. You will really like Uptown, it is awesome, great high and mid rise apartments, great shopping, food, bars, etc. Sundays during early football season, the streets are filled with people, its awesome. All walking distance. Makes me wish I were in my 20's again! That is where I would start out.

Commute: I used to do an hour to hour and 15 to the Reston/Ashburn area. Now I do 20 mins from Lancaster to downtown and my hubby does the hour trip from Lancaster to far north Ft Worth. Dont let all the Texans scare you about the traffic and commutes, it is no worse than NOVA/DC. Plus, depending on your work/living locations you have the DART if you are used to taking the Metro.

Good luck on your move, hope you like it here, I love it.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:26 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,392,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp27 View Post
Hey everybody,

I'm a 24 year old young professional relocating from the DC area later this fall. From what I've read it looks like the place I want to be is Uptown (I still like to go out and have plenty of fun, but I'm also not looking to relive my fraternity years.)

I've been doing pretty extensive research on specific places to live and I've come across a weird trend where there are multiple reviews for every complex almost universally that complain about broken parking garages/facilities in their buildings that result in break-ins to their cars, bums rumbling around the property, etc. I wouldn't call it small, but it's something that you wouldn't usually think about which is why I bring it up.

Anyway, I don't have an exact budget in mind yet but was anticipating a 900-1200 range for rent. I'd prefer to live in a bigger community/high rise where there aren't issues with security (shocking, right?). On the flip side, I don't mind if the unit is on the smaller side or the complex isn't new. Do you have any suggestions on specific buildings? Also, please correct me if any of the assumptions I've made are wrong.

If it's any help to you if you're familiar with DC, I'm coming from the Arlington/Rosslyn VA area and am looking for a similar vibe.

Thanks so much!

GP
Prices Uptown will be closer in line to what you're paying across from the Key bridge. Guess 1500 for a good unit. You may be able to find some really older, non-amenity places for around 1200, but they are few and far Uptown. Addison would be cheaper, but is farther from the city center and is 'frat'. Oaklawn, more akin to Dupont, may be easier on the budget, but some streets are seedier than others.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:36 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,091 times
1. Where will you work?
2. Live close to work so you have time to do stuff. Live central to other potential jobs.
3. DFW is BIG. There are many nice areas that meet your criteria - and Uptown is just one small area.
a. Shops at Legacy in Plano
b. Austin Ranch
c. Dr Pepper Park in Frisco
d. Lofts in Richardson at Campbell/75 on the Light Rail
e. Las Colinas around the Omni Hotel - again on the Light Rail.
4. Look at several locations - not just one area - and price them.
5. Look particularly at the cars in the parking lots on a Saturday morning and at the upkeep of the grounds. This will tell you how management and the local city does its job as well as how the residents take care of things. Things should be CLEAN.
6. Consider amenities like gym, trails, restaurants, singles, etc.
7. Look at the parking arrangements.
8. Take reviews with a grain of salt unless they specifically reference crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp27 View Post
I've been doing pretty extensive research on specific places to live and I've come across a weird trend where there are multiple reviews for every complex almost
bums rumbling around the property, etc. I wouldn't call it small, but it's something that you wouldn't usually think about which is why I bring it up.

GP
A lot of property thefts and a lack of management focus on safety is a red flag.

Part of the problem with Uptown is that is it hard for each complex to visibly base several police officers around the complex like your more traditional apartment system. And it is also hard for residents to spot troublemakers and call them in. It is also very hard for adult men in their 20s/30s to spot and interview potential troublemakers. And it is hard to patrol. And Dallas does have a rising bum problem as DPD no longer has an aggressive anti-bum program.

All this adds up to a more property theft and vandalism.

That is why is it is important to visit on a weekend morning to see what it really looks like.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:39 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
And yeah, Dallas has homeless people. Just put your old levi's, or old microwave, or left over turkey dinner in a plastic bag out by the dumpster. It'll be gone by dark.
Don't feed the wild life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas