Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 07:15 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
In Uptown there's not much height you can build and the zoning laws will not allow a building to be built of an extreme height outside of the urban core.

In Downtown there's no need for a really tall office building. You can building a high-rise office building with much more square footage than one that's over 50 stories tall.
So why are they building high rises in Houston all over the city, not just downtown or mid or uptown and we do not here? Why is the demand for high rises great there? I understand what can be done to avoid it but why does no one want one in Dallas area but there is demand in Houston

Last edited by Johnhw2; 08-05-2013 at 07:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 07:18 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
So why are they building high rises in Houston all over the city, not just downtown or mid or uptown and we do not here? Why is the demand for high rises great there? I understand what can be done to avoid it but why does no one want one in Dallas area but their is demand in Houston
Hear, HEAR!! My thoughts exactly!

Old 08-05-2013, 07:43 PM

6,690 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:
So why are they building high rises in Houston all over the city, not just downtown or mid or uptown and we do not here? Why is the demand for high rises great there? I understand what can be done to avoid it but why does no one want one in Dallas area but there is demand in Houston
We can't building towers everywhere in Dallas because we have zoning, Houston does not. You will never see skyscrapers all over the city because it isn't allowed. For us to have skyscrapers all over the city, zoning laws would have to be changed.

Last edited by Dallaz; 08-05-2013 at 07:52 PM..

Old 08-05-2013, 10:00 PM

581 posts, read 924,208 times
Quote:
Houston has several over 15 floor towers, office use, going up currently. I can not for the life of me figure out why they do and we do not
There are a lot more taller buildings in Houston, but a lot more billionaires in Dallas - Fort Worth. People just are more willing to buy into the bling bling of an empty box that is a skyscraper. When the empty skyscraper is foreclosed on, its still an empty box.

How ironical is it that the centerpiece of Chevron's downtown campus will be the former home office of the once house-of-cards called Enron?

The last real estate hoax involved developers, banks, and the cities. The cities would give the developers incentives, the banks would give the developers loans, and the developers would give the banks the property allowing it to be foreclosed on by way of declaring bankruptcy.

In the end, it is the people who have to pay out the nose.

Banks require developers today to have a major tenant already lined up. So, the developers feign momentum by already having an architectural design of the property made up. That is why they try to keep the plans quiet. They want it to appear boom boom boom as if, boom, here is the announcement, boom, here are the plans, and, boom, that they expect to line up a major tenant at any time.

You know, it is like fishing. If you get the major tenant, the bank gives you the loan. If you don't, your building doesn't get built and you file for bankruptcy on the property allowing it to be foreclosed upon.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:51 PM

This might have been posted already

Highrise development planned for old Hard Rock Cafe site on McKinney Avenue in Dallas

Highrise development planned for old Hard Rock Cafe site on McKinney Avenue in Dallas | Biz Beat Blog

Quote:
The new owners say they will build a 20-story apartment and retail tower with 200 luxury rental units and 30,000 square feet of retail space.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:02 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,484,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
This might have been posted already

Highrise development planned for old Hard Rock Cafe site on McKinney Avenue in Dallas

Highrise development planned for old Hard Rock Cafe site on McKinney Avenue in Dallas | Biz Beat Blog

Wow! I love it. Looks like the building going up near the Ritz, and the aqua in Chicago.
Crescent has designs on Uptown Dallas with eye-catching tower | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Old 08-06-2013, 03:06 PM

From the this acticle
Quote:
The McKinney project is the latest in several apartment towers in the works in Dallas’ Uptown district.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:12 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,406,898 times
figures there's no mention of the designer when it's clearly a low cost knockoff of the Aqua tower in Chicago. I imagine the Stoneleigh companies looked out their window and just pointed to the wonderful design along their skyline and said, ' I want that but 10% the cost. Dallas won't know the difference.'

Old 08-06-2013, 04:05 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Very nice - a great addition, but I just have trouble calling a 20-ish story building a high-rise... <sigh>

Old 08-06-2013, 04:30 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Well, that section is higher than downtown!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas