Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:29 PM

6 posts, read 38,589 times

Advertisements

My husband and three kids and I are facing a possible relocation to the area in a few months. I've read many posts about the DFW area and I'm still a little confused. I've never visited and we don't plan to do so until late fall. Still, I'd like to get a jump on middle school and high school research for my kids. Also, my husband will travel weekly for work, so we'll need a home large enough to accommodate our family plus houseguests that is hopefully less than 30 min from DFW International. I'd love to hear all suggestions, regardless of price range.

We like homes and neighborhoods with pride of ownership and character -- independent mom & pop shops and cafes, good schools, hopefully down-to-earth, liberal-minded folks like ourselves. Access to retail chains and malls is not important to us, but access to parks, walking trails, open spaces and culture/character is. Is it possible to find a neighborhood with doctors and CEOs that also has a sense of charm (and is McMansion-free?)

Thanks so much for all advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 08:30 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Budget?

Open to private schools, or just publics?

Old 07-30-2013, 09:01 PM

Budget... maybe up to 1.5.

Schools... private, public, or charter.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:02 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
What do you define as a McMansion? You want to find a neighborhood with doctors and CEO's... well, around here, they are living in McMansions.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:11 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Park Cities for the doctors and CEOs or Lakewood for the limo liberal set.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:18 PM

Hmmm... how do I define McMansion? This is a tricky question to answer, because in doing so, I realize I'll likely offend people on this forum who like these kinds of neighborhood. In the interest of just being direct, I'll answer thusly...

I suppose I would define a McMansion as a home that is built with a ridiculous amount of wasted space, insanely high ceilings and is basically designed to impress pseudo, status seekers. All image, little substance. It seems like there are newer neighborhoods in many suburbs around the country where the land is scraped, trees are leveled and new gargantuan homes are put in their place. I have also noticed that these areas lack character but are riddled with every kind of fast food and retail chain and big box store imaginable. I call those McMansions -- they have zero appeal to me.

Was that too harsh?

And "limo liberal" set... funny! I haven't heard that term before! ; )

Old 07-30-2013, 09:30 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,046 times
Highland Park and University Park.

There are mcmansions there, but most of the new construction tries to blend in with the original early 20th century architecture. There are still quite a few 1920's-30's Tudor bungalows preserved, and some larger family sized homes in your budget. There are very few national chains in the park cities and an emphasis on supporting home grown business. However, the people aren't really liberal-minded, and can get stuck in the park cities bubble, but great schools and the most family friendly cities in the entire Dallas metro.

East Dallas/Lakewood may also be a good option, but that may push you over the 30 minute limit to DFW International.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:33 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
North Oak Cliff sounds like a perfect fit for you! Zip code is 75208 and specific neighborhood names include Kessler Park, Stevens Park, Bishop Arts District. Do a search for former threads. You'd definitely need to go private for schools or apply for the elite DISD magnets.

Lakewood could be a good fit; you'd likely want to at least explore private schools since the middle & high school reviews are quite mixed and the results aren't there in terms of NMSF, AP pass rates, etc. There are some McMansions creeping in but plenty of charming historic 1920's Tudors and Spanish Eclectics mixed with sprawling 1950's ranch style homes. Definitely pushing the 30 min limit to DFW. Again, plenty of former threads to search for more info. Zip is 75214

There is basically no suburb that will work with your criteria. Sorry.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:37 PM

Hey TurtleCreek and RonnieinDallas, I really appreciate the specific details. Thank you!!

Old 07-30-2013, 10:27 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
There is basically no suburb that will work with your criteria. Sorry.
This. The overwhelming majority of Dallas 'burbs are new construction due to the huge growth of the area. In most areas a home built in the early 1990's is "old", and yes, it's all McMansions 'R Us.

That said, I'm not sure if the neighborhoods people are recommending are definitively sub 30 minute commutes to DFW airport. During rush hour I'd almost certainly allot more time to get from Park Cities to DFW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas