Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2006, 11:59 PM

28 posts, read 109,786 times

Advertisements

Looking at some brochures of new homes in dallas/fortworth, I am most impressed with the look of the homes built by Drees. I love windows, and Drees’ homes all seem to have bigger and taller windows than other builders’ home windows. But I start to worry about how hot it can get with sun shining through the windows. Drees has many energy saving features, so do other energy star builders. It is hard for me to tell which builder has the best energy efficiency plan just by looking at their features listed on the brochures. I do also like Drees’ home customization options. Dress’ homes are however more expensive. If you have any thought about Drees’ home or if you like some other builders than Drees in Dallas/Fort Worth, please let me know. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2006, 12:19 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,174 times
Drees, Highland, Darling and David Weekley were my favorites.

All would be classified as luxury builders here in Socal

Old 10-14-2006, 08:25 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
I have a Drees and love it. We had some work done about 2 years ago and the remodeling contractor we used had just bought a Drees home and said it was easier than him building it himself and he can just do all of the extras he wanted that they don't. But I don't know what they would not do? As they are very good about changing things and moving walls and such. My aunt & uncle just bought a Drees home that is about 5 years old and we could tell something was different w/ the floorplan. We figured out the family room was much bigger as the 4th bedroom had not been built and that space was added to the family room which they like since they have a pool table. Drees is good about making their homes look more custom and have a little more style. Not a square box w/ no character. There is another house around the corner that is our floorplan and it looks totally different than ours as it is a totally different elevation. So it is nice that they do that. Drees also does a lot of woodwork that is really nice. The double mantels on the fireplaces are beautiful. Lots of builtins if you want and you can do the wood garage doors.

As for the windows, yes they are big and I love it. I like lots of light coming in. We have our windows tinted w/ the 3M film that a local company called Amersol does. It really helps a lot. Another neighbor had theirs done 2 years ago and they could not believe the difference. They have the big tall windows on the back of their house. We don't have those as neither of us cared for the big two story family room open to the upstairs. I like the quieter feel and more homey. You can also do sunscreens but the tint is easier for the windows all over the house even the transoms and all.

Overall, I have not heard any complaints out of anyone in a Drees. Standard Pacific is another good one that is a little bit similiar to Drees. Highland has other divisions that they build under. Drees and one of Highland Homes other divisions are both building in a neighborhood near me. They both look nice. I have only gone thru a few of them and they had all of the woodwork and extras.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:08 PM

59 posts, read 222,525 times
Default Drees....

Hello Texas Newbie,

I am also a big fan of the Drees Homes. I am impressed by the fact that this custom homebuilder includes many of the desireable upgrades that are standard for their homes and optional upgrades by other builders. As much as I like Toll Brothers Homes, You end up spending a grip on sensible options and a 5% down payment to open escrow. "WOW" I have personally visited many other builders homes in various neighborhoods, but Drees has that something extra

I can appreciate the the big beautiful windows and tall ceilings. I believe that is what gives some homes that "Wow Factor"! You can always tint your windows to cool your home for that "oh so dreadful summer heat"!

You are right, Drees does offer great customizing features that many of the other builders don't offer. Sure Drees maybe a bit pricey compare to others, but believe me you get what you pay for. Vist a Drees community and see for yourself if you haven't already. You will will plainly see the difference in quality! Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNewbie View Post
Looking at some brochures of new homes in dallas/fortworth, I am most impressed with the look of the homes built by Drees. I love windows, and Drees’ homes all seem to have bigger and taller windows than other builders’ home windows. But I start to worry about how hot it can get with sun shining through the windows. Drees has many energy saving features, so do other energy star builders. It is hard for me to tell which builder has the best energy efficiency plan just by looking at their features listed on the brochures. I do also like Drees’ home customization options. Dress’ homes are however more expensive. If you have any thought about Drees’ home or if you like some other builders than Drees in Dallas/Fort Worth, please let me know. Thanks!

Old 10-16-2006, 02:23 PM

8 posts, read 80,814 times
Drees, Sotherby, David Weekly, KHOV seem to do a very nice job. Of course, depending on neighborhood, the price points vary. If you want an unbiased opinion about home builders, you should check out J.D. Power's ratings below:

http://www.jdpower.com/homes/ratings/home_builders/results_city/index.asp?v1=Dallas/Ft.%20Worth (broken link)

Old 10-16-2006, 11:53 PM

28 posts, read 109,786 times
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Your opinions really matter to me. I love the tint idea and will check out some of the other builders you have mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: