Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:22 AM

8 posts, read 27,536 times

Advertisements

I will be working in Downtown Dallas (close to the Main Street Garden Park) and need a place to live (moving from NC). Single female, mid-20's, enjoy art, music, nightlife, restaurants (a self-proclaimed foodie). Would love to be around other young professionals, just to meet new people / network.

3 Must Haves:
-Close to work, I'd like to keep my commute under 15 minutes and ignore morning traffic if possible
-Safety, I like to go on walks/runs, and keep in mind I'll be living alone
-Fun, lively neighborhood with close proximity to entertainment, shopping, restaurants, gyms, salons, etc.

Now when I say "fun" "lively" and "nightlife" I don't mean anything crazy with people partying until 3-4am and loud drunk people everywhere...my college days are over, but I still like to go out, meet people, be social, etc.

As for price, I currently pay $1100 in rent...It would be ideal to find something more affordable because once I get familiar with the area, I hope to buy within 1-2 years. I'm open to lofts, but 1 or 2 bed would be ideal.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 07:45 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,792 times
any of the ones surrounding Main St Garden would work for you but prices have really gone up quite a bit over the last year. Wilson is the most affordable and would fit within your budget. You might also look into the santa fe lofts. They are individually owned units so pricing can vary quite a bit and they are true lofts so the style isn't for everyone. I'd avoid west end apartments as well as the Northend apts over by the arena.
Southside at Lamar could be an interesting option for you as well.

I am sure someone will suggest uptown but it sounds like you aren't too crazy about pub crawls going on every weekend so I'd suggest hanging your hat elsewhere and visiting via trolley whenever you feel the need.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:07 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Uptown Dallas - Home

The drive to downtown is sweeter than a stroll in the park. Google map > McKinney Ave, from Pearl St. to Knox-Henderson. Between US75 and TurtleCreek (it's a creek).

Bus route 36, or DART Rail from CityPlace.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:29 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,463,188 times
Uptown is going to be your best bet. Finding a place for 1100 a month, won't be easy, but there are older places around that will rent at that price. It's the "it" scene right now, is less than 15 minutes from work, close access to the Katy Trail(for jogging), filled with 20 year olds, bars, restaurants, etc. etc.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:52 AM

Thank you so much for your input - I will definitely look into all those places you all mentioned. Seems that Uptown is a common theme among the other threads I've read. I guess my only reservation about Uptown is the price. I'm trying to see if I can find a similar vibe in a nearby area for a little less money. If I can't, then I will surely consider Uptown. Although I'm very tempted to just bite the bullet and pay for the "it scene" - I think right now I'm looking for the "somewhat it scene" and hoping to save a couple hundred a month.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:00 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,463,188 times
You could try over near the Knox Henderson area on the West side of 75. It may still be considered uptown are, but it is right by the katy trail, has some bars and restaurants within walking and it mostly 20 year olds as well at a more reasonable price. Commute to downtown will also be short. I had a friend live at Gables knoxbridge. It was nothing special by any means, but got the job done and was well under 1100. If you're looking for a more modern feel in downtown, you could check out Mosaic as well. But there are not many areas I would jog in downtown Dallas.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:14 AM

212 posts, read 410,010 times
You might also try Oaklawn. Not a long commute, but morning traffic will be an issue. However, if you work a regular schedule and don't need your car during the workday, public transportation (bus) is a possibility and you can use the time to read, etc. Oaklawn has the reputation for being Dallas' "gay-borhood" if that matters. You might also give North Oak Cliff a look. Opinions vary on "safety", but there might be a difference between perception and reality. Only you know your sensitivities.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:07 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
That bus route 36 also travels north/south on Oak Lawn Ave and then over to CityPlace by way of Blackburn St. (Uptown).

In north Oak Lawn check out steets Newton, Herschel, Prescott, and Hawthorne. Those streets run between Oak Lawn and Lemmon Ave. Great neighborhood with apt's, condo's, and townhomes. You'll need to do drive by for Rent signs. Take notepad and cell phone. Make the call.

North Oak Lawn is a bit more mature than the general Oak Lawn area.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:23 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
I would assume making new friends is a top priority in your move to Dallas. Friends make you feel more settled and make a new city start to feel more like home. If so, I'd recommend two things:
1. Push the budget your first year and live in Uptown, which I will loosely define as anything north of Woodall Rogers (Klyde Warren Park), south of McComas (which is a bit south of Mockingbird Lane), west of 75, and east of the Katy Trail. I do NOT consider Victory Park part of the area I described. This area is young professional central and super-Walkable. I can't tell you how many people I know who made friends or met a significant other through living there- whether meeting the "regulars" at your coffee shop or wine bar or from the apartments' pools or from walking their dogs.

You may decide after a year that you're hanging out in a different neighborhood more (maybe Deep Ellum or North Oak Cliff or The Cedars), but Uptown will be a great place to land.

2. There are TONS of groups geared for "young professionals" / under 40's in Dallas. Some are purely social, some are a mix of social and philanthropy / culture, but they all have fall membership drive events in Sept and Oct so check them out and see if you want to join one or two to meet more people.

Junior Associates of the Dallas Museum of Art
Lee Park Junior Conservancy
Young Friends of the Ronald McDonald House
Élan Circle of the Dallas Symphony
Dallas Junior Chamber of Commerce
Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (if you happen to be a JD)
Young Texans Against Cancer
I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton of them!

Several churches and synagogues have large young adult groups:
Highland Park United Methodist
Fellowship Dallas
Watermark
Park Cities Baptist
Temple Emanu-El

There are also tons of running groups, cycling groups, etc if you're more athletically inclined.

Also, if you are a current member of the Junior League in NC, you may transfer membership to JLD which is awesome!

Your college (if UNC or another big one) will likely have an alumni group here, which is great for football watching parties in the fall. If you are a member of any NPC or NPHC sorority, most all have large "young alumni" groups in Dallas.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:29 PM

Very good point TurtleCreek - you are right! I absolutely want to meet new people since I have no connections in the area, except for some family in the suburbs. I definitely don't want my life to consist of just work, so being in an area that will provide me the opportunity to be social and meet new people is a top priority. I guess I need to find a place in the Uptown area that isn't necessarily the newest, most popular, most luxurious of them all. I'd be ok with living a street or two over from the heart of Uptown so I can still have a quiet night if I want.

Any more specific names of apartments that you all know of? Or Uptown rental agents? There are so many options I'm a bit overwhelmed. If we're talking money, for the perfect place, maybe 1200?

Thanks so much for all of your help!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas