Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 06:18 PM

563 posts, read 3,743,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnarps View Post
There is such a lack of pretty nature here anyway, why they do away with the humble little pockets of nature is something I will never understand.
I agree with you totally on that!! It seems to be an American thing though. the yards have to be manicured as do the sidewalks, islands in the middle of the road, grassy slopes next to stores etc etc. In so many other countries there is a lack of such an obsession to make everything postcard perfect. I think springtime in Dallas was at its most beautiful when all the wild flowers were blooming (evening primroses, golden rod and other flowers everywhere!) before the city started their spring time maintenance and mowed it all down!
I can understand the necessity for it though if people would be walking there and snakes, scorpions etc might be a hazard but so many of these areas never see any foot traffic at all but still someone's tax dollars are going towards making them look neat for us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 12:19 PM

37 posts, read 138,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnarps View Post
this peaceful scene because this was - although run-down - always nice to look at (no spillway then, either). There is such a lack of pretty nature here anyway, why they do away with the humble little pockets of nature is something I will never understand.
We have one more credit to the fact that it is impossible to satisfy everyone. The same pre-year 2000 / un-renovated Josey Ranch that one just referred to as a “humble little pocket of nature” was also referred to as a “mess of an area” in this very thread.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:46 PM

3 posts, read 8,393 times
RN - Absolutely correct. And that's also why I posted - because I didn't think it was a mess of an area and thought there should be another opinion on that here... :-)

Bookworm: I come from another country (Germany) and although I would say it is different from country to country, I agree with your take that a lot of areas are being manicured to death here.

Springtime is also my favorite season. I so enjoy the wildflowers along the highways, even though they were sowed, but at least they refuse to grow in neat rows and form pretty blankets of color...

But I do see why some of the natural growth has to be reigned in - you are pointing out the snakes and other living things, and in this climate weeds tend to grow REALLY fast and high.

I suppose people have indeed different opinions on what is pretty, and that's perfectly fine. I just wish there were a healthier balance and a bit more of the one ("messy"), and a little less of the other (manicured).

Old 07-05-2009, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,119 times
Ok, I noticed that people were talking about the old downtown Carrollton...the square. I noticed some apartments on that location when I was there to catch a Greyhound...does anyone know anything about these apartments? I can't recall the specific title, but something like "Elm Street Lofts." Just curious, cause I'd totally think about moving to a place like that after college graduation. In a cute downtown area, very close to Dallas, etc...

Old 07-05-2009, 11:19 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,425 times
There are lofts above Agave Azul IIRC. It would be a cool little area to live but if you're a young single professional, which seems like the kind of person who'd want to live in a loft, it's not the most happening place.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,776 times
Smile I love Carrollton

I am a native Dallasite (Oak Cliff) (5 generations) and have lived in Carrollton almost 40 years. My motherinlaw came here in a covered wagon from Ferris in 1914, so my kids had a lot of history growing up in Carrollton.

I have raised 4 children here and have had 3 businesses here. As far as I am concerned, this has been great for me and my family.

Except for the taxes being a little high, I love Carrollton and have made many long time friends here.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:34 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,615,724 times
OK - this is an OLD thread. But still pertinent if you're still seeking this information.

There are people on this forum who will look down their nose at any city that doesn't have a majority of homes for sale that are priced more than $250K. Old neighborhoods, industrial areas, and retail districts built before the implementation of modern zoning standards do exist, and are a part of the city of Dallas and most of it's large suburbs. Lots of nice family friendly neighborhoods with (GASP!) houses selling between $100K and $250K. But the Colleyville, Southlake, and Plano soccer moms who haven't a clue about cities and neighborhoods outside of their overpriced and ritzy comfy enclaves will get physically ill living in anything less than what they have. Don't listen to them.

Cities like Carrollton, Farmers Branch, Garland, Mesquite (and others) have a lot to offer, and you'll get a lot more for your money there than in some of the suburbs that have experienced most of their growth in the last 20 years or so. And believe it or not, you MAY just like it there and have a great experience raising your family there too.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,680 times
I'm a northeast implant for just over a year now and have lived in Carrollton from the time of my arrival. I have really come to enjoy this suburb. Many highlights include the ease to access major highways, the number of retail and commercial vendors, restaurants, and though many homes are "cookie cutter" I don't mind it. Each has a personal preference. Carrollton is far away from the downtown yet so easily accessed if desired. It's an established area with a diverse population. Overall, I really have to look hard to find many negatives.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:17 PM

54 posts, read 252,829 times
I'm glad to see this thread is picking up new life. I am considering moving to an area in the very northeast part of Carrollton. I have read every post on this thread (even though some are almost 3 years old) and I want to know if this part of Carrollton is stable. I like that it's between two major highways and therefore has easy access to the surrounding areas. The neighborhoods are "older" and mature (nice trees all around), and not cookie cutter. It's also close to Hebron high school which is LISD and has been rated exemplary very consistently. My concerns are based on several things. First, is this area showing any new growth? I would like to think that the city has learned from it's past mistakes and is maybe changing for the better. Secondly, I'm wondering if this is so far north that it's too north to be Carrollton (and involvement in any city based youth activities will be on the other side of town), but it's too west to be Plano and we'll be just on the outskirts of both cities. I would prefer the opinions of the people that live in and around this area and not those of the people that sit in their "high end" homes in the middle of Dallas and look down their noses at the common person.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:30 PM

18 posts, read 110,065 times
We have been living in Carrollton for 3+ years - on the northern end. Overall, we are quite happy, but I do have a few gripes.

Carrollton does not evoke images of nice shopping malls and retail establishments. There is nothing here akin to the Vista Ridge Mall area in Lewisville, or Willow Bend area in Plano. Many strip malls, but not a single big mall. We find ourselves doing most of our shopping in Lewisville, Plano and Irving.

The City resources are also relatively modest. The recreation center is well equipped, but not as nice as Coppell or Plano (no indoor swimming pools!). Libraries collections are modest.

It is a perfectly fine city to live in, and most of the things listed above don't affect you on a day to day basis. However, they do contribute to the negative perception of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas