Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 12:43 PM

88 posts, read 201,596 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I used to live in Fort Worth back in 2010. While living there, I never had the opportunity to check out Dallas itself. I was afraid of getting lost or getting into an accident among the various freeways that twist and turn around the downtown area.

This November I'm headed back to Dallas for a couple of days. I'm staying at a hotel across the street from Love Field, and I'm renting a car to get around the city. I'm thinking about visiting Victory Park and the Reunion District.

Where can I drive to in order to get a good view of the Downtown Dallas skyline (including the Reunion Tower)?

Moderator cut: No copyright material. Use links to Matthew Visinsky Photographyy

I don't know of any observation spots along the Trinity River and beyond.

Can I get any help from DFW residents here?

Last edited by Willsson; 08-18-2013 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: No copyright material
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 01:04 PM

420 posts, read 705,967 times
Go have a drink on the Belmont Bar's balcony located at the Belmont Hotel in North Oak Cliff. It has the best view of the downtown and uptown skylines connected without crashing your car from trying to drive and look at the same time.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:08 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
There is a Trinity River observation/trail/path near the Commerce bridge & BeckleyAve. You can locate the area coming from either Commerce bridge or the Continental/Singelton Blvd (Marget Hunt Hill Bridge). Either way, turn left or South on Beckley road and just as you cross Commerce street, make the first left...almost like you're turning around to get on the Commerce Bride, it looks like an access ramp for the Commerce bridge. Anyhow, there is parking right there with some observation sights and decor. Once you park, you just walk over the Levee (Never Drive on Levees on on Levee access rds) and you will see a walking path and access road. The above picture was most likely taken in this spot...but off to the right a little along the path. You need to be on the path/access rds in order to avoid power lines if you're taking pictures.

Now, if you're up to walking, you can easily walk under the Commerce bridge and Rail Road bridge back to the left and get some nice Margret Hunt Hill Bridge photos.

The best time to shoot in my opinion is around 8:00-8:30 if you want that Golden sunshine reflection and 8:40-9:00 for really nice blue sky's.

PS: Comet Ison is supposed to visable around November-January. This would make for a cool photo with the Comet and cityscape.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:32 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,846 times
To have it look anything like the photo shown, you would need a full Trinity between the levies as well.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:39 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
To have it look anything like the photo shown, you would need a full Trinity between the levies as well.
Yep. That is an old photo. Reunion Arena is still standing, and lit up (in use), so I'm guessing late 1990s?

Old 08-11-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
There is a Trinity River observation/trail/path near the Commerce bridge & BeckleyAve. You can locate the area coming from either Commerce bridge or the Continental/Singelton Blvd (Marget Hunt Hill Bridge). Either way, turn left or South on Beckley road and just as you cross Commerce street, make the first left...almost like you're turning around to get on the Commerce Bride, it looks like an access ramp for the Commerce bridge. Anyhow, there is parking right there with some observation sights and decor. Once you park, you just walk over the Levee (Never Drive on Levees on on Levee access rds) and you will see a walking path and access road. The above picture was most likely taken in this spot...but off to the right a little along the path. You need to be on the path/access rds in order to avoid power lines if you're taking pictures.
I just found that observation deck on Google Maps.

So tourists are allowed to walk around near the Trinity River in that area?

Old 08-11-2013, 06:32 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
There's also a great view of the skyline from the top of the rooftop bar/swimming pool at the Nylo Hotel, just south of downtown in the Cedars area. You can see the view at this link: South Side Dallas Hotel - NYLO Dallas South Side

Old 08-11-2013, 10:13 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,197 times
Omni Hotel Las Colinas top floor room. Best time would be the fall after a good cold front.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:26 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho79 View Post
I just found that observation deck on Google Maps.

So tourists are allowed to walk around near the Trinity River in that area?
Yes, walk till you drop (or bicycle ride) but no motorized vehicles on the levees or access roads.

Also, keep your eyes open and mind your surroundings. It's not uncommon to see other people around the observation area and near the Margert Hill Hunt bridge taking pictures. I would just use caution walking under the bridges at night and be suspicious of people approaching you. I generally keep a can of Mace spray in my hand most of the time. I've been shooting area the Trinity for a while no and haven't encounter anything issues but it's always best to be safe.

As for the water reflection, the above people are right. The above photo was taken after a flood or sorts. The river is actuality is very slim and surrounded on both sides by trees/brush. You can however find some small misc bodies of water for reflection shots but we're talking small.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:42 AM

A few more pics-

Moderator cut: No copyright material. Use links to Matthew Visinsky Photography

I'm aiming for shots like these.

Last edited by Willsson; 08-18-2013 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: No copyright material, use links
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas