Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 07:41 AM

28 posts, read 77,162 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking for a good area to move when our son graduates in June. Walkability is really important (close to lots of stuff), and we don't want to spend more than $1000/month. We're in our early 40's, and would rather live downtown (and I know there are seveal different areas) because we like to go out to eat, listen to music, etc. The idea is to explore for at least six months, then buy a condo in the area if we like it. Any good ideas? I'd also love to get reasons why moving to Dallas is a great idea. We currently live in Raleigh NC, and I'm bored beyond belief! (Just staying for the high school)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 10:14 AM

88 posts, read 366,748 times
Uptown - would be best - try something like the Gables Uptown Tower.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:36 AM

22 posts, read 109,879 times
Be aware that you may need to back off the "walkability" requirement a bit. Dallas is not a highly walker friendly city.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:42 AM

Well...how 'bout I stretch the "walkability" index to "vespa-bility"? *Really* don't want to buy a second car (just got rid of one). We'd love to be near a good grocery store, library, restaurants, a fun atmosphere...that type of thing. Don't expect the world, but it really looks like Dallas is much more affordable than lots of other places right now, and I grew up in Tucson, so I'd love to scoot back more toward the Southwest!

Old 11-13-2007, 01:27 PM

791 posts, read 2,222,256 times
To satisfy a 'grocery/library/reataurants/fun' near downtown you'll want to focus on the State Thomas to Uptown area.

The nearest libraries are either the back side of downtown or OakLawn (2 blocks off OakLawn at Cedar Springs) and is also the location of the Kroger Grocery. This area is also the 'gay' strip though trending to a very high dollar neighborhood. Before moving away a couple of months ago, I saw a lot (as in a house used to be there) with four townhomes at $400k each.

Four principle groceries will be Albertsons/WalMart/Kroger/WholeFoods. The first three will have most typical foods and Whole Foods is a good specialty food place. Nearby is a pretty cool deli, EatZi's (Lemmon/Oak Lawn). There is a specialty grocery on the back side of downtown (don't recall the name - maybe Uptown Lofts - would be kind of pricey, really just local market - this is NOT my ref to the UpTown area) and a farmers market on the north end of downtown. My ref to 'backside of downtown' for both the library and specialty grocery are to the far east side, near city hall. Not much entertainment over there, though that's a matter of judgement as well...

On a maps.google.com, enter the zip 75219 for a local map. You'll find US 75 going north out of downtown and a couple of streets west of 75 is McKinney/Cole. McKinney/Cole extends from Pearl (next to downtown) north to Knox and the SMU area. McKinney at Pearl is very near to the AA Center (sports arena) and nice apartments can be found in that area as well as downtown's West End entertainment.

From Pearl to near the cemetery is State Thomas, a very old area that has been refurb'd with condos and townhomes. The WalMart Grocery is near this.

Continuing north is Uptown, with muchos entertainment, etc. Uptown at Lemmon to Fitzhugh is currently the hottest of the spots. Albertsons is located here. The UpTown area will provide you with foot access to food and entertainment but you'll have to judge for yourself. UpTown is next to a metro train station with easy access to downtown. There is also a metro Trolley for getting around the McKinney UpTown area, really cute From that metro train station you can also get to North Park Mall, a pretty nice mall and the only one I would go to. Also the West End and the AA Center. And to Mockingbird Station for more shopping and indy movies.

Further along Lemmon (northwest) you'll find the EatZi's (exotic deli) and to the TollRoad is WholeFoods, now an international specialty food store.

Probly the UpTown with Trolley and Metro Train would give you the greatest mobility without a car but you will want to drag that thing out on occasion. You'll be bit challenged to find an apartment for $1000 but can be done. A DART monthly pass runs about $50 and will get you by bus/trolley/train to all of those places.

Good luck

Last edited by Willys; 11-13-2007 at 02:37 PM..

Old 11-13-2007, 01:51 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
There is also great 'walkability' around Knox-Henderson, Lower Greenville and Lakewood Shopping Center.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:51 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,294 times
To check out the real pulse of urban life in Dallas, check out this website. It will have links on lots of things going on near downtown.

forum.dallasmetropolis.com

Old 11-13-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Thanks!!!

Wow, that's lots of great help, everyone. I'll spend some time checking out those suggestions. Thanks a bunch.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:36 PM

6 posts, read 14,307 times
Look for something NEAR the Oak Lawn area !!!! You could start at Lemmon Avenue and Oak Lawn, and head south from there towards McKinney Avenue. Lotsa great apartments, and it's the Art section of town (knox & Henderson). Lotsa stuff to do, and parks nearby great for walking. Just be aware that Oak Lawn is the Gayest area of Dallas, but, if that's OK by you folks, it's a great and fun place to live,work and play.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:31 PM

Art section sounds great to me -- love being near all types, so that's great, too. I'll definitely check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas