Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 10:00 PM

591 posts, read 820,820 times

Advertisements

More power to you for moving to Texas and making it work, OP. If you don't mind me asking, what made you move to Texas? Growing up in Rhode Island, I know that most New Englanders don't willingly move to Texas over states like Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, and Nevada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 10:54 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXbound2011 View Post
Funny you should say Brockton - my high School was New Bedford - the good ol' Big 3 (at least you didn't say Durfee ) At 16, parents dont know anything. THe one thing he gets frustrated with is that there are so many kids that just are spoiled and get anything since their parents can afford it and his words are "snobby". Hoping that the second year there he sees it in a different light. The options they have at the school are terrific and the teachers are very supportive. You are right so many transplants that they have an orientation just for transplants. He has to find his way with me guiding him (or giving a bit of a kick in the ...well you know where) along the way. For those wondering the difference in kids (his words) the kids all want to do well and succeed and many have goals. They dont mind being pushed and and taking the easy road - I can tell you where we came from on the southcoast of MA...that is not the case!!!!
Interesting you talk about the difference in work ethic, drive and snobbery. It almost sounds like you could have moved to Duxbury, Cohasset or Hingham.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:20 AM

440 posts, read 867,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
More power to you for moving to Texas and making it work, OP. If you don't mind me asking, what made you move to Texas? Growing up in Rhode Island, I know that most New Englanders don't willingly move to Texas over states like Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, and Nevada.

We moved because frankly I was sick of the cold weather...and wanted more time for us -As to the rest of this statement I believe IMHO that alot of people in the North East have these pre conceived ideas about what TX is all about-they hear bad things and don't want to hear the good-TX is not perfect but it certainly isn't the picture that often gets painted by the media....we had plenty of people "warn" us about TX and the culture shock we would suffer...couldn't be further from the truth. I wouldn't move to CA-more commute time and just as expensive as MA-CO -nice scenery-too cold in winter-FL-not a hope in H--L and Nevada -I've been there and don't really care for it...besides we are in the DFW area-we can fly anywhere we want from a a great international airport...don't have to deal with the Mass pike-the tunnel system and the outrageous tolls and parking they charge there...my husband travels alot and I drive him to the airport (15-20 mins)-loop around-drop him off at the terminal and back out onto the highway and home before he's probably got through security for the sum total of $1!

Old 08-18-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sossie View Post
besides we are in the DFW area-we can fly anywhere we want from a a great international airport
I hate when people from Dallas say this. You all make yourselves sound so ignorant and presumptuous. I mean, what if you're on a fixed income and/or simply can't afford an airline ticket? What if you have a large family and can't afford airline tickets for three or four kids, your spouse, and yourself?

Let's get with the program here.

By the way, the last time I checked, Southwest Airlines doesn't offer any long-haul flights out of Dallas, so scratch that family vacation to California or Florida.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:44 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Quote:
I hate when people from Dallas say this. You all make yourselves sound so ignorant and presumptuous. I mean, what if you're on a fixed income and/or simply can't afford an airline ticket? What if you have a large family and can't afford airline tickets for three or four kids, your spouse, and yourself?

By the way, the last time I checked, Southwest Airlines doesn't offer any long-haul flights out of Dallas, so scratch that family vacation to California or Florida.
This has gone off topic, but a bit of research would explain to you WHY Southwest doesn't fly to your favorite vacation spots. That condition will change soon.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
This has gone off topic, but a bit of research would explain to you WHY Southwest doesn't fly to your favorite vacation spots. That condition will change soon.
My favorite spots to vacation AND live.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:02 PM

440 posts, read 867,216 times
Quote:

Then get in your car and drive to Florida -you asked why we moved and that is part of the reason why-so don't be so ignorant and rude....and besides I was referring at the time to my husband has to fly for work....so get off your soap box it's boring!

Old 08-18-2013, 10:55 PM

974 posts, read 2,185,493 times
I have to add that a really great thing about Dallas /Ft. Worth area is that it has soooo many options when it comes to airtravel. Love Field's Southwest & AirTrans are good options. I've hopscotched across the country using Southwest and AirTrans and with careful planning and taking advantage of promotions, you can score some pretty good deals on airfare. I'm going to Chicago in a couple weeks and with advanced booking...a round trip is costing me just a little over $200 !! That's pretty good. And there's Spirit Airlines which has low fares ...sure you'll pay extra for baggage and other things but if you can pack a toothbrush and go...it can be a pretty good deal.

I've also found fantastic fares out of DFW using online search engines and signed up for e-mail notices whenever there's a sale or special promotion. And since I do travel with work on occasion, I've compared my ticket costs with colleagues from other cities and they are envious of the deals I seem to score on a consistent basis.

I've lived in other parts of the US and I have to say that in my experience, Dallas has great airservice options. Sure sometimes I can't find as low a fare as I like at the last minute but 70% of the time I do get a good fare.

I met someone from England who told me their son wanted to come and experience the US and what city would I recommend...without hesitation I told him to have his son research the DFW area as it would offer him a tremendous experience AND the airtravel to/from here would be a no-brainer for so many reasons.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:02 PM

107 posts, read 166,890 times
Ask me a few year ago if I thought I would be living here, I would not have ever thought it. Sossie is right that I (and others that have visited from MA & RI) we all had totally different ideas what Texas would be like. My daughter and boyfriend were blown away and want to move down once she graduated from college. I read the papers back home and it is always what firms are closing and leaving - at most every turn I see more development (business and housing). Nothing is perfect, but if you only focus on the negative, that is all you will ever see

Old 08-19-2013, 08:55 PM

390 posts, read 715,237 times
Quote:

Wow. Just, wow.

Quote:
So, what does Southwest have to do with anything? Southwest is a great airline, but they aren't necessarily the best deal out there - and I pretty much never fly them, especially out of Love (I do occasionally fly them on short west coast hops when they're the best option). They know how to make money, and they're very good at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas