Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 06:57 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,445,839 times

Advertisements

Took the wife to dinner for our anniversary at SER. I made reservations awhile back and noted it was a special occasion as it was our 2 year wedding anniversary and we had become engaged at Nana's.

Environment:
The environment has had quite a significant change from the old Nana's. No table clothes and a more relaxed feel. They no longer have the "lounge/bar" area separated off from the restaurant, which I actually kind of like because you can hear the piano player throughout the entire place now. The view, as always, is spectacular.

Food:
The menu has been expanded and offered more than Nana's. It also was situated in layman's terms, and even the most novice diner can navigate 95%.
Crab Cakes
They were quiet small(golf ball size), and you only receive two of them. They were maybe a 6/10.
Steaks
I decided to go with the 22oz ribeye and the wife went with a smaller 8oz filet of beef. She is not much of a steak eater as she enjoys hers covered in A1. My steak was ordered medium rare and came out almost well done. This obviously caused the ribeye to be tough, but the flavor was still good. Not on the same level to me as an Als, Bobs, Perrys, etc.
Sides
Homemade Tater Tots and Mac and Cheese. The tater tots were good but a little akward as far as how to eat them. They were almost to small and brittle for get with a fork, and I usually do not use my hands to pick up food at a restraunt of this caliber.....However the Mac and Cheese, OMG. This may have been one of the BEST pasta dishes I've ever had in my entire life(if you can even consider a side of Mac and Cheese a pasta dish). I've longed for a great cheese pasta dish ever since Daniele Osteria's closed shop. on the Mac and Cheese!
Dessert
Some sort of chocolate cake with mousse. It was on the house so I'm not really sure what it was. Fairly dry and again nothing spectacular.

Service:
Our waiter was excellent. Extremely nice, knowledgeable and had worked at Nana's before. He made sure that we could take our time and watch the sun set as downtown lit up. The hostess as well was very accommodating and gave us possibly the best seat in the house for a view of downtown.

Final Bill:
For the food listed above and one Mojito our bill came out to 146 before tip. On par with your average upscale steak restaurants in Dallas.

Final Verdict:
We will probably visit SER again, but only for our anniversary as it may turn into a tradition. If I'm going for pure food and service, there are other places in the Dallas area that beat out SER fairly easy. Pics below!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-19-2013 at 07:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 07:12 AM

19,584 posts, read 17,866,183 times
Some of the other stuff one might be able to write off as a, "not meeting your personal preference" kind of thing. However, over-cooking a 22 oz. steak from medium rare to almost well done takes malice or serious incompetence. It's just as likely they served your steak to someone else.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:17 AM

I tried to be as subjective as possible in comparisons to other restaurants. Obviously food is going to be a little different for everyone due to varying pallets. I haven't seen SER(although new) on the top of any food critics lists. I was quite disappointed in the over cooked ribeye. I also highly doubt they served my steak to someone else because if someone is paying $60 for a well done piece of steak, the need be shot..lol. To top if it off, if they did......that may be even more embarrassing than over cooking.

All in all, it was nice, but the food is just not on par yet with other high end restaurants in the Dallas area. Will they suffer greatly for this, probably not for two reasons. The view and the connection to patrons of the Anatole.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:31 AM

19,584 posts, read 17,866,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
I tried to be as subjective as possible in comparisons to other restaurants. Obviously food is going to be a little different for everyone due to varying pallets. I haven't seen SER(although new) on the top of any food critics lists. I was quite disappointed in the over cooked ribeye. I also highly doubt they served my steak to someone else because if someone is paying $60 for a well done piece of steak, the need be shot..lol. To top if it off, if they did......that may be even more embarrassing than over cooking.

All in all, it was nice, but the food is just not on par yet with other high end restaurants in the Dallas area. Will they suffer greatly for this, probably not for two reasons. The view and the connection to patrons of the Anatole.

Your review was well done - get it - "well done" and appreciated.

To the overcooked steak thesis. A while back we were sitting at III Forks waiting for our food to be brought out. A lady at the next table ordered a baseball cut tenderloin, "extra, extra well done". The waiter said, without pause, "I'd don't think the chef will do that". Long story short the/a chef came out to speak with the lady in the end he double butterflied a tenderloin and brought it out himself. It looked like four pieces of smoking hot black boot leather. You could tell the chef was offended. And the woman ate all of it.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post

To the overcooked steak thesis. A while back we were sitting at III Forks waiting for our food to be brought out. A lady at the next table ordered a baseball cut tenderloin, "extra, extra well done". The waiter said, without pause, "I'd don't think the chef will do that". Long story short the/a chef came out to speak with the lady in the end he double butterflied a tenderloin and brought it out himself. It looked like four pieces of smoking hot black boot leather. You could tell the chef was offended. And the woman ate all of it.
Hahaha, I love it. Both the pun and story!

Old 08-19-2013, 08:42 AM

953 posts, read 1,824,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post

That is a ton of carcinogens.. OMG!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas