U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 03:04 PM

12 posts, read 66,630 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to the Dallas area this summer (thank GOD we are leaving Florida!!!). We have a 10 mo old, 3 and 5 year old. We (meaning my husband) are looking for a golf community that is family friendly and I would love some other ammenities... tennis, workout facility but those are just wishes, golf is a must. We would also like to be close to a good Catholic elem. school (St Marks???- opinions?). We are flexible in location as my husband is self employed but are thinking the Plano, Allen, Frisco area. We don't want to be too far "out there". Price wise... 350-400K area but would prefer to rent for 6 mos to a year to get a good feel for the area before purchasing. Any help would be soooo much appreciated. I am sending my hubby down to look at things but I am not about to pack the crew up and go with him. This board seems to have some great advice so I will be very greatful for whatever you can toss out there for me! Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 04:19 PM

563 posts, read 3,625,225 times
There's a terrific community called Hackberry creek in the Las Colinas area that might fit your needs. Its a gated golfing community and the prices might be in your range. The school that serves the neighborhood is rated exemplary

Old 11-13-2007, 06:40 PM

6,578 posts, read 24,415,650 times
I've heard good things about St. Marks Catholic School (and Church) in Plano. It's fairly big. I'm not quite sure how they get all that they do on their lot. Seems like a tight fit, but I guess that doesn't matter. It's in Central Plano near Collin Creek Mall. There are several other well regarded Catholic schools around also.

I'm not sure about golf communities. I mean there are plenty of neighborhoods near golf courses, but I'm not sure what constitutes a "golf community."

Old 11-13-2007, 08:30 PM

12 posts, read 66,630 times
Far North Dallas... Thank you for your reply. Any names of other schools to check out would be wonderful! In regards to golf communities, I mean a neighborhood with a golf course. My husband likes to be able to hop onto a course or hit balls without having to waste time driving. Personally, my only desire is a family friendly neighborhood but my husband seems to think life isn't worth living if he is not on a golf course.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:47 PM

875 posts, read 980,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by three4now View Post
Far North Dallas... Thank you for your reply. Any names of other schools to check out would be wonderful! In regards to golf communities, I mean a neighborhood with a golf course. My husband likes to be able to hop onto a course or hit balls without having to waste time driving. Personally, my only desire is a family friendly neighborhood but my husband seems to think life isn't worth living if he is not on a golf course.
Here are a couple of web sites that may be helpful to you. Good luck to you and your family.

Plano, Texas Golf Courses

Prince of Peace Catholic School - Building a Strong Foundation

Old 11-13-2007, 08:59 PM

6,578 posts, read 24,415,650 times
As far as Catholic schools in Plano there's also Prince of Peace. Very well regarded.
Prince of Peace Catholic School - Building a Strong Foundation

And All Saints Catholic School is really associated with a parish in Far North Dallas, but the school is a few miles north of it, right across the street from a Plano public middle school (but has a Dallas address). It's sortof newer. I don't know if they ever reached capacity when they opened. They used to meet at the church for years and then built this school facility.
ASCS Home, Dallas TX

The Catholic High School is Pope John Paul. It's new as well. It's getting good reviews.
John Paul II High School

Old 11-13-2007, 09:13 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,231,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm2768 View Post
There's a terrific community called Hackberry creek in the Las Colinas area that might fit your needs. Its a gated golfing community and the prices might be in your range. The school that serves the neighborhood is rated exemplary
I second this recommendation. Hackberry Creek is an excellent community (w/schools located in the gated community itself) in the northernmost part of Irving, TX (see realtor.com zip 75063), which is a western suburb of Dallas, within 10 miles of DFW airport (without the noise) and the golf course was designed by Byron Nelson (the original Byron Nelson Golf Course is close by as well). Here are links to both the Hackberry community and the country club:

Hackberry Creek Home Owners Association
Hackberry Creek Country Club

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-13-2007 at 10:17 PM..

Old 11-13-2007, 09:20 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,166,545 times
Check out Castle Hills Castle Hills - Custom Home Builders in Dallas, TX - Community of the Year as well. Beautiful course http://www.castlehillsgolfclub.com with public play and membership options, plus the HOA (less than $500 per year) includes access to tennis and basketball courts and a community center with workout facilities and a pool. Many play parks are scattered throughout the neighborhood - it's incredibly family friendly.

I'm not familiar with the Catholic schooling options in the area, but there are several other board members that live in the area that might be able to chime in.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:28 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,749,906 times
You could also check out some of the Catholic schools in Dallas; St Rita is supposed to be good for K-8, after which the boys go to Jesuit and the girls go to Ursuline.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:49 PM

303 posts, read 962,321 times
I was also going to suggest Castle Hills. I think Prince of Peace is not too far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas