Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 12:58 AM

15 posts, read 52,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
My experience says that Asians help property values. Thai food is about the best thing since the wheel.
I'd rather live next to a Buddhist Temple than a Mosque or a Catholic Church any day of the week. Welcome to America; lock your doors.

Actually Ive lived near all three and never had any issue. Why should living next to a mosque or a catholic church be any different? Come on people we are all Americans

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 11-15-2007 at 07:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 05:39 AM

875 posts, read 1,093,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
based off wikipedia (which may or may not be reliable) here are the numbers I GOT.
if you were to count all 6 million people (6,003,967) , the DFW metro would be 3.4% asian.
if you were to only count the principle counties (Dallas, Tarrent, Denton, and Collin) the metro would then be about 4.2% Asian out of 4,816,838.

If you were to count all the counties in the DFW metro you would find 204,177 Asians. if you were to count only the principal counties(the four stated above) we would have 201,539 Asians(about half of those reside in Dallas county(which has about 91,329 of them)) .
so in fact if these number off of wikipedia are correct, then the number the website gave us is double that of what is truly correct, but if that site were to be correct then wikipedia is useless. lol....

NOTE: I calculated these, based off the percentages and populations of the DFW metro, this was not actually stated on wikipedia.
If you ask me, Wikipedia is the most unreliable source on the web. If for no other reason, than anyone can put information on there.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:02 AM

438 posts, read 1,783,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsoffense View Post
Actually Ive lived near all three and never had any issue. Why should living next to a mosque or a catholic church be any different? Come on people we are all Americans
There are demographic trends at play in any subset of society (including religions and denominations). Think about neighborhoods you've been in and what flavor of churches are there. There are patterns. Exceptions, yes, but churches have demographic bases and people don't wander far from their roots.

I have lived near a mosque with no problems. I have never lived near a buddhist temple. My experience living near Catholic churches is they seem to have the highest incidence of parking in the streets and neighborhoods, walking out into the streets without looking, and feral children dart in and out of moving cars.

Protestant churches seem to hire police crossing guards and tie up traffic. At least I HOPE they hire the police. If my tax dollars are spent to handle church traffic every Sunday I will not be amused.

I am not affiliated with any church, and have no axe to grind with any particular flavor.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:49 AM

695 posts, read 1,447,570 times
I am Catholic, and my child is not feral.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:48 PM

160 posts, read 198,241 times
Feral Catholics, lol.
I was tremendously amused to read somewhere that some evangelical Protestants don't think Catholics are Christians and send missions to Ireland to convert the natives.

Am curious if by Asian the Wikipedia article means "of Asian descent" or "first-generation Asian immigrants." Also whether Southeast Asian, East Asian, etc.

Would be amazed but pleased to find good Korean food waiting for me.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:32 PM

19 posts, read 96,126 times
Aren't India and Pakistan technically in Asia? Its not just China, Korea, Vietnam, and Japan. I feel that's probably why percentages seem high. Sounds about right to me.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:10 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainPharmD View Post
I am beginning to think Plano has nothing but Asians and Indians. The area around where we are staying seem to be about 90% foreign.
Wow. Overlooking the fact these can be and likely are U.S. born citizens...

As for the free range Episcopalians...

Old 02-09-2012, 05:56 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,027,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervegas View Post
Aren't India and Pakistan technically in Asia? Its not just China, Korea, Vietnam, and Japan. I feel that's probably why percentages seem high. Sounds about right to me.
Yeah, don't know why people refer to "Asians and Indians". That's like saying Americans and Texans . India is also in Asia.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:15 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sywi View Post

Would be amazed but pleased to find good Korean food waiting for me.
You're in luck.

On Royal Lane in Northwest Dallas is Koreatown. You'll find Korean food there that is as good as it could be not in Korea. I say that coming from LA too.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:01 PM

267 posts, read 618,778 times
I think this agrees with the all Asian strip mall @ 75 and Legacy. I was the only white guy in there when a friend and I visited, and the whole mall was PACKED. Awesome place btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas