Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,683 times

Advertisements

My fiancé and I are looking to relocate from the Seattle area to the DFW area. She previously lived in the Plano/Allen area and we would like to settle back in that area. I have an 18 year old son with Autism who has completed high school and is scheduled to attend the V.O.I.C.E (Vocational Opportunities In Community Experiences) Program through the school district here designed for students in the Lifeskills Program who are 18-21 years of age and provides comprehensive instruction and vocational experiences to prepare students for adult life.

I was given information about the Beyond High School Program through the Plano ISD, but I seem to be running into dead ends with each successive phone call. I've read that there are several school districts in this area that offer excellent Autism services and I would like to find the right program for my son.

While Plano is our first choice, we're open to any school district where he can get services. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 07:43 PM

440 posts, read 866,866 times
Not sure about Plano-but try DARS (dept of adaptive and rehabilitative services)-they offer alot of programs for adults with disabilities-including work programs and opportunities for social skills and outings etc -they also work with United Through Hope which run alot of programs as well-DARS will usually refer you and in some cases they will pick up the cost...We deal with the services through Denton County....also Tarrant County College offers a comprehensive life skills program too through their North west campus...they are pretty good at calling back promptly and getting information to you. I would start with DARS first and explain what your looking for and they can help guide you...this is the united through hope email info@unitedthroughhope.org

Old 11-07-2013, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,511 times
Default Plano has a good program-but beware of AISD

Hi,
I can tell you that Plano does have a Beyond High School. My son is 18 with Autism and he is moderately effected. I have heard good news about Plano Beyond High School though my son is not in the program yet--but he is receiving those skill before graduation. I switched my son from Allen High School to Plano on the East side--and what a difference last week. I am not saying they are the greatest (though I feel they very good) school, but compared to Allen HS he was receiving zero help with job training except wiping the the cafeteria tables, sorting plastic-ware. He did that last year, and as a junior I was informed there would be a job skills program---not true. My son does have behavior issues (as many do w/ ASD), and I think they used that against him. He was in a self contained room all day. I did no know better because those were the options for him.
At PESH he switches classes and receives supervision--as even the lowest/highest students switch classes. This Plano school has the classes in the same building for those that need extra supervision or assistance. My son is currently in a job and career class 2-3rd period. They know his specific challenges, and are working to find jobs for him; in and outside the school. And they have many they rotate to every 6 or so weeks. He is given respect and given some autonomy to learn and do more as he learns. He is not going outside yet but I am sure he will be there in the near future.

Yes do call DARS but your son has to be the one who speaks on the phone to set up an appt--- as least that is what I was told by the person answering the phone last month. Odd to say the least and that was the McKinney DARS office. I did not ask what to you do when they are nonverbal. I have not returned calls yet.
Finally one of the best kept secrets for advice or questions--or to have a matched parent volunteer for support on information is Texas Parent to Parent. www.txp2p.org....I call with questions and have met the leaders who are often parent like us-at the awesome conference they have every Summer. Txp2p also are big advocates for the special needs community (headquartered in Austin)-- with parents who love them and work to keep services for their care and support.
Remember to get on the HCS or CLASS list ASAP too if there is any possiblity you may be staying in Texas indefinitely because the list is about a 9 to 12 year wait currently. Do a google search. HCS is the one you need if your son will need a caregiver in your home, respite, and most of all if your son will need residential care or supervision for life. These state programs are based on his income, not your currently. There is some legislation trying to wiggle around that...but is being opposed.
I know this is a lot of information, but I feel like it needs to be passed on as the world we live can be a little harder to navigate in our world, or feel a little more isolated. Good luck. I do not check my email attached to this thread often but will try to do more often.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:27 PM

440 posts, read 866,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traffic cowgirl View Post
Hi,
I can tell you that Plano does have a Beyond High School. My son is 18 with Autism and he is moderately effected. I have heard good news about Plano Beyond High School though my son is not in the program yet--but he is receiving those skill before graduation. I switched my son from Allen High School to Plano on the East side--and what a difference last week. I am not saying they are the greatest (though I feel they very good) school, but compared to Allen HS he was receiving zero help with job training except wiping the the cafeteria tables, sorting plastic-ware. He did that last year, and as a junior I was informed there would be a job skills program---not true. My son does have behavior issues (as many do w/ ASD), and I think they used that against him. He was in a self contained room all day. I did no know better because those were the options for him.
At PESH he switches classes and receives supervision--as even the lowest/highest students switch classes. This Plano school has the classes in the same building for those that need extra supervision or assistance. My son is currently in a job and career class 2-3rd period. They know his specific challenges, and are working to find jobs for him; in and outside the school. And they have many they rotate to every 6 or so weeks. He is given respect and given some autonomy to learn and do more as he learns. He is not going outside yet but I am sure he will be there in the near future.

Yes do call DARS but your son has to be the one who speaks on the phone to set up an appt--- as least that is what I was told by the person answering the phone last month. Odd to say the least and that was the McKinney DARS office. I did not ask what to you do when they are nonverbal. I have not returned calls yet.
Finally one of the best kept secrets for advice or questions--or to have a matched parent volunteer for support on information is Texas Parent to Parent. www.txp2p.org....I call with questions and have met the leaders who are often parent like us-at the awesome conference they have every Summer. Txp2p also are big advocates for the special needs community (headquartered in Austin)-- with parents who love them and work to keep services for their care and support.
Remember to get on the HCS or CLASS list ASAP too if there is any possiblity you may be staying in Texas indefinitely because the list is about a 9 to 12 year wait currently. Do a google search. HCS is the one you need if your son will need a caregiver in your home, respite, and most of all if your son will need residential care or supervision for life. These state programs are based on his income, not your currently. There is some legislation trying to wiggle around that...but is being opposed.
I know this is a lot of information, but I feel like it needs to be passed on as the world we live can be a little harder to navigate in our world, or feel a little more isolated. Good luck. I do not check my email attached to this thread often but will try to do more often.
That certainly was not the case for us--I have done all the communication with the DARS office in Denton-as the services are usually offered in your IEP packet from the school you as the parent/guardian (provided your child has given you the authority to additionally act on their behalf) are absolutely allowed to be part of the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: