Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 01:58 PM

670 posts, read 2,989,049 times

Advertisements

I have to admit that saying ma'am did take me aback when I moved from SoCal to Louisiana, but it is said out of respect. What I hate is when you say it and someone comments on how they don't like being called that. Really it is just manners and how people were raised, not a comment on your age Heck I've said it to 16-year-olds just as an automatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 01:58 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,119,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Most women I know seem to take offense to it. I enjoy the respect, myself.

It's one of the things I find charming about Texas.
You don't start to be called "ma'am" until you look old enough to be a "ma'am", i.e. over 30...which explains why some people don't like it.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:03 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,385,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
You don't start to be called "ma'am" until you look old enough to be a "ma'am", i.e. over 30...which explains why some people don't like it.
I realize that's why many women don't like to be called ma'am. However, that's not been my experience. I started getting called it occasionally when I first moved here and I definitely did not look 30 yet. I've never minded. I only noticed because it is something that would never happen in California, thus I found it charming.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:15 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,754,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA_Mom View Post
I have to admit that saying ma'am did take me aback when I moved from SoCal to Louisiana, but it is said out of respect. What I hate is when you say it and someone comments on how they don't like being called that. Really it is just manners and how people were raised, not a comment on your age Heck I've said it to 16-year-olds just as an automatic.
Yes, I do the same... younger and older! I know it's more common now that children in a lot of places aren't taught to say "yes/no ma'am" and "yes/no sir" (wish it were)... it does grate on my nerves whenever I hear a child not say it to an adult... just like you say... it's said out of respect.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:17 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,119,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I realize that's why many women don't like to be called ma'am. However, that's not been my experience. I started getting called it occasionally when I first moved here and I definitely did not look 30 yet. I've never minded. I only noticed because it is something that would never happen in California, thus I found it charming.
I guess it's hard to explain to a Californian. Yes, it can be charming and it's meant to be polite, but transitioning from "miss" to "ma'am" can be painful. I'll never forget the first time I was ma'am'd.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:20 PM

875 posts, read 1,083,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Power View Post
It is true that some people will act nice to your face then talk behind your back, but for the most part southern hospitality is real.

One thing I have noticed is some women do take offense to yes ma'am. Sometimes they give you the "what! do I look old to you or something!" look
I don't mind ma'am at all. What I do mind, is men calling me hon or any form of endearment when I don't know them.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I guess it's hard to explain to a Californian. Yes, it can be charming and it's meant to be polite, but transitioning from "miss" to "ma'am" can be painful. I'll never forget the first time I was ma'am'd.
Do you think there's a wedding ring aspect to this? I was 25 and married when I moved here.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:23 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,685,377 times
Quote:
Heck, I only get carded now by someone if they feel like making me feel young . Otherwise it is, "Thank ya ma'am". Awhile back a friend and I pulled out our "id's" to get the band to drink while at a concert. She went running up w/ hers saying, "here is our fake ID's that show we are 42 but we really are 19". LMAO!!!! I've noticed when I say "thank you", "thank you sir", Thank ya ma'am" or whatever the propert polite term would be for the moment to a MUCH YOUNGER person they really step back and smile and respond back positively. I'm hoping that by doing so it encourages them to pass it on and see how being polite can make someones day.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Heck, I only get carded now by someone if they feel like making me feel young . Otherwise it is, "Thank ya ma'am". Awhile back a friend and I pulled out our "id's" to get the band to drink while at a concert. She went running up w/ hers saying, "here is our fake ID's that show we are 42 but we really are 19". LMAO!!!! I've noticed when I say "thank you", "thank you sir", Thank ya ma'am" or whatever the propert polite term would be for the moment to a MUCH YOUNGER person they really step back and smile and respond back positively. I'm hoping that by doing so it encourages them to pass it on and see how being polite can make someones day.
I always say thank you when I'm carded now!

Old 11-14-2007, 02:28 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,754,631 times
Quote:
II'll never forget the first time I was ma'am'd.
Was your response, "DON'T MA'AM ME!" like it was for most of us when hearing it for the first time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas