Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 02:29 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,000,832 times

Advertisements

LOL

I remember as a kid not liking someone calling me, "son". "Boy" was not so great then but now it's a kind of term of endearment (mostly but it can be denigrating in rare instances), even if you don't know the person. Of course you can't say that to everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 02:51 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,117,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
I don't mind ma'am at all. What I do mind, is men calling me hon or any form of endearment when I don't know them.
You'd hate Yorkshire. I got called "love", "hon", "pet", "flower", you name it.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Do you think there's a wedding ring aspect to this? I was 25 and married when I moved here.
Possibly, I don't know. I still get called ma'am and I don't wear a ring anymore, so I'm guessing my advanced age (32) has something to do with it.

Old 11-14-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
Was your response, "DON'T MA'AM ME!" like it was for most of us when hearing it for the first time?
No. I was too busy wiping tears out of my wrinkles.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:15 PM

670 posts, read 2,988,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
No. I was too busy wiping tears out of my wrinkles.
LOL. I wasn't married and definitely didn't look my age when I was called it. For my 1st two pregnancies I had people ask if "my parents knew" or "what grade are you in?" Um I was 22 and 28 the 2nd time. I only wish that happened more now (people guessing me THAT much younger--NOT having more kids )

Old 11-14-2007, 04:45 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,310,141 times
Please understand that in the southern tier of the country (not including Southern Cal) there is a tradition of hospitality - meaning that it is considered rude not to be friendly - "southern hospitality" is about manners nothing more.

Southern hospitality should not be misunderstood as a barometer of what another thinks of you or an offer of friendship - it is niether of those things and is never intended as such.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:11 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,310,141 times
I was recently at the TGI Fridays just off McArthur Blvd in Los Colinas. They waitress keep calling me hon and sweetie. It was not the terms that bothered me, it was just the way it came across. It did not seem natural coming from her and gave me the same feeling as listening to someone scratch a blackboard - it drove me nuts! And BTW this behavior has nothing to do with and is not an example of southern hospitality.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
I was recently at the TGI Fridays just off McArthur Blvd in Los Colinas. They waitress keep calling me hon and sweetie. It was not the terms that bothered me, it was just the way it came across. It did not seem natural coming from her and gave me the same feeling as listening to someone scratch a blackboard - it drove me nuts! And BTW this behavior has nothing to do with and is not an example of southern hospitality.

Recently my MIL and our family were out to dinner (this was right before we moved back to Texas) and we had a waitress like this. She laid it on so thick it was like a caricature of what some people picture Southerners as being. I mean it was really insincere and made us all (except for maybe my younger 2 kids) uncomfortable.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:54 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,000,832 times
Maybe you should have pulled a "Flo" from "Alice" --- "Kiss my grits!"

Old 11-14-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Maybe you should have pulled a "Flo" from "Alice" --- "Kiss my grits!"
LOL that would have been good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas