Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 11:37 PM

8 posts, read 22,455 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate to somewhere in Texas between the Dallas area and Oklahoma. Lake Kiowa looks great on the internet, but does anyone have information on what it is like to live there? We are retired, so we don't have to worry about commuting anywhere on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 10:17 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
You will have more luck on the Texas forum since Lake Kiowa isn't close to DFW.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:12 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,463,188 times
Hey, we have a lake house out there. It's a great mix of younger families and an older retirement community. Great 18 hole golf course that plays over the lake twice, nice little community lodge with dinners and activities, good fishing, all gated so security is great. Let me know what exactly you're looking for information wise. One of the best parts (imo) about the lake is no outside boats are allowed. You can only have a boat on the lake if you have property out there, it keeps the lake from getting over crowded. They also have events for most major holidays, including a fireworks show over the damn for the 4th. The only two down falls I see are no gas station on the lake itself(there are two service stations at the entrance) and the closest true grocery store is in Gainesville, a 10-15 minute drive.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:42 PM

Thanks for the reply bencronin04. That is the type of info we are looking for. Also, there are quite a few houses for sale in the development, so I was wondering if there was a problem we should be aware of. Is the HOA reasonable as far as things like the color of planters in your yard, etc? From everything we've read about Lake Kiowa, it sounds like the type of place we're looking for. We are planning on heading that way in November to see it in person.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:30 PM

They're pretty lax until you make structural changes. Prices have been rising and taxes increasing this pushing fixed income out. That would be my guess as to why so many are for sale. I will attach a picture shortly of our garden we had no issues with shortly. It's eccentric to say the least...

Old 09-03-2013, 05:36 PM

Old 09-03-2013, 05:38 PM

Also, just to explain how safe it is....the last crime spree I remember was years ago when kids were going around tearing up trash people were putting out.

Prices of houses range greatly out there. Interior lots(cheapest), golf lots(medium) and lake lots(highest). You don't have to own a lake lot to have a boat(just property inside the community), but there are no rentable docks so you will be putting in and taking out the boat every time you use it unless you own a lake lot.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:45 PM

Another reason there may be so many available lots is due to what it is. 2nd homes for people with children that sell once the kiddos are gone and retirement folks that unfortunately are in the latter stages of life and pass.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:10 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Our investment guy owns house there and the guy who is second in command at locally, privately-owned o/g company my husband retired from this year

our investment guy said they don't go up as frequently as they did when his two daughters were younger---the 2nd started college this fall...
he was saying they didn't know if they would hold on to it until their daughters married and had grandkids to take there...

the co-worker has younger children and they might use it more often...
he takes guys from work out there once a year for "conference/party"

what they both like about it--location since it is easier/quicker to get to than Possum Kingdom or Texoma, and it is more private...
but don't know about the water level since this drought is hanging on...
don't know where the water for the lake comes from
if I were looking to buy that would be my biggest concern--
it is not a lake that supplies electricily like the Highaland Lake nor one that acts as watershed/souce like Lake Grapevine which is Corps of Engineers controlled lake...

there is website that deals in lake property
lake house dot com
you can see lot of houses for Lake Kiowa on it

Old 09-03-2013, 09:38 PM

Your place is beautiful!! Thanks so much for all of the info. We will be looking at Lake Kiowa, Gainesville, and other areas north of Dallas, but on the internet, Lake Kiowa looks pretty good for our lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas