Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 01:43 PM

332 posts, read 1,381,757 times

Advertisements

This is a pretty interesting interactive map from the University of VA that shows a dot for each person based upon the last census count. Pretty wild how lilly white the great plains and west are.

The Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person for the Entire U.S.

edit: just went back and read the entire thread, overdog has already posted this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 08:36 PM

111 posts, read 145,843 times
Coming from the East Coast (NYC in particular), you have to have a different mindset of diversity. In NYC, Manhattan is the center point and a lot of people commute into Manhattan, therefore you will see racial, ethnic and financial diversity. BUT, at home, back in the boroughs, there is limited diversity. I lived in a black neighborhood in the Bronx and there is a "border" between my neighborhood and the adjacent white neighborhood. That is just what it is. It has been like for a very long time and continues to this day (somewhat). So, you feel like you live in a diverse place, but you actually do not. You work in diversity, but don't live in diversity.

In Dallas, not only is this a car city, but there is no central working place. So, most of us leave our house to our car to our work back to our car and home. Don't walk around to experience what is around us. So, I can live in an all "name the race" neighborhood or a very racial/ethnic diverse neighborhood, and it really won't matter because you are not walking around your neighborhood.

So, my point being, is that you have to ask yourself, what do you want from diversity? You can live in an all same race neighborhood, but in DFW, that won't matter because the first mall, Walmart, Sprouts, etc. you hit will have some diversity. Obviously, some neighborhoods more than others.

We live in Murphy and are African American and it is a nice feel. My kid won't be the only black kid in school. We are not the only black family sitting at our neighborhood Chick-fil-a,etc. etc. But shockingly, the neighborhood does lack Hispanic diversity.

Knowing what I know now, when I look for a place to live in DFW, my first step is to check school systems in the price range that I can afford within a decent commute of work. Then go from there... diversity is a drive away.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:50 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,626,473 times
^^^In Murphy, there is a very large Indian and Asian concentration. Murphy is diverse, but I do think a lot of it comes from Asian diversity.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:34 PM

3,810 posts, read 8,706,838 times
You would be incorrect. It's diverse. Not just Asian diverse.

And as I've said before, there's not pockets of any particular group. It's every street in every neighborhood across all 5 square miles that has a diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas