Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2007, 09:44 AM

96 posts, read 315,124 times

Advertisements

I'm new to this area and deathly afraid of snakes. Yes, I move to a rural area and I know they are going to be here, but in my house? I just found a baby little snake in my house. Either my dog brought it in or sometimes I leave my door open for a little bit to let my dogs go to the bathroom. Any way. What kind of snakes are in this area and don't they go away during winter? I read somewhere that moth balls will help keep snakes away is that true? What eles can I do? Besides keeping my door shut at all times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 10:01 AM

686 posts, read 2,435,868 times
Most of the snakes you will see will probably be grass or garter snakes, which are harmless. Those actually eat bugs and insects. There are copperheads and other poisonous snakes though, but are not too common up and around housing or neighborhoods. When I lived out in a rural area, we had cats outside, which actually killed a few snakes and the mice which some snakes eat. And yes, they should be hibernating now that the weather is cooling off.

I found this product when looking for stuff that will repel snakes:
Snake-A-Way Snake Repellent, snakes, snake repellents

Old 11-15-2007, 10:11 AM

Thanks, I seem to remember seeing something like that in Home Depot. Hopefully this little snake was a rare happening. Hopefully the mama is hibernating. Maybe with the weather being warm it came out. Now hopefully the weather will stay cooler.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:32 AM

583 posts, read 2,633,241 times
We saw 4 snakes yesterday out at the Heard Museum. We were walking the trails on a 4th grade field trip. The kids were so thrilled to see them. I am going to try and post my picture.........
Attached Thumbnails
Rockwall/Royse City area and Snakes-snake.jpg  

Old 11-15-2007, 11:12 AM

Just seeing that picture gets me to have wet hands. Why aren't the snake sleeping for the winter yet?

Old 11-15-2007, 11:17 AM

686 posts, read 2,435,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasorbust View Post
Just seeing that picture gets me to have wet hands. Why aren't the snake sleeping for the winter yet?
I figure it's probably because it's been unseasonably warm here this Fall and so they are still out enjoying the warm weather. Once it stays cool with some consistency they should be gone until Spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas