Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 08:25 PM

203 posts, read 271,402 times

Advertisements

We're contemplating a possible move to DFW sometime in the future. Invisible fences are very common in our community here in NJ and, while I'm not crazy about them, I really have an issue with people who have them and forget to put on the collars or don't bother replacing batteries. We have a 20 lb dog that I like to walk a couple of times/day but it drives me crazy when some of the more aggressive dogs bolt through the fences or are running loose. Several times I've had to pick up my dog and actually walk with him in my arms up the block! Kind of defeats the purpose of going for a walk.

Our neighborhood has 1/2 - 1 acre lots so very few people have real fences although I noticed that was not the case in Plano, Southlake, Frisco, Coppell, etc. Definitely a lot of fences and walls around houses. So, I'm wondering if this would be an issue in DFW too. Yes, I've spoken to my neighbor a few times about her dog and she's very apologetic, but it still happens more than I'd like when her kids leave the door open, etc. It's just that with a dog 3x my dog's size, I know my pup would get the short end of the stick and it scares me. Since the houses are closer in the Dallas area, I'm curious to know if it would be even worse or do people mostly keep their dogs in the AC or behind a real fence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 08:36 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
It's rare to see dogs running loose around here. Some people walk their dogs off leash but that is against the law in most areas.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:43 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,015 times
You mostly only notice stray or loose dogs in lower socio-economic areas in Dallas. If you're in the South Lake/Frisco/Plano/etc. area, you shouldn't have many if any issues.

Default Thanks

It is against the law here too but people do it. I guess because we live in a quiet suburb, they think it's ok. Then you have the other people who just don't think at all

Happy to hear it shouldn't be much of a problem there. I mean my dog has gotten out to be on the search for rabbits or squirrels so I know it can happen...no matter how careful you are. It's just that when it happens repeatedly and the dog is kind of aggressive, it just ticks me off...I always had big dogs but find it easier to have a smaller one now, except for this one issue.

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
I have never seen an area with HOAs that did not require fences that are solid.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:58 PM

297 posts, read 512,575 times
I have a few neighbors that do not have a fence at all. It is not required by the HOA to have a fence. Those on the golf course are only allowed to have a wrought iron fence, if they have one. Even in areas that have acreage lots you will see most have some kind of fence.

As others have said, it is not much of an issue to see dogs running loose all the time.

FYI, SBIU, the type of fence the OP is talking about is invisible. There are only stakes used at the corners that transmit a signal or one in a central location with a radius that sends a signal to the collar on the dog to not go past that point. There is no fence of any kind.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:06 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Thanks, I know about those fences. The problem is that a dog will cross it to get to something but then not cross it to go home. Another dog, a female in heat, kids taunting it - all are too interesting/compelling to ignore.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:24 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
Most suburbs that I've seen in North Dallas have fenced in yards, not electronic fences, so for the number of dogs people have, it's fairly rare to see a bunch of dogs running loose. Accidents happen of course, dogs bolt for an open fence or out the front door, etc, but most people walk their dogs on leashes, or their dogs are contained in the backyard.

Occasionally you'll find that idiotic neighbor who continues to let their dogs roam free outside, our development had two of these people, on the same street, about 10 houses apart. They'd be working in their front facing garage and just let their dog roam around outside with them, or working on the yard, or chatting with neighbors... and then their dog would see mine being walked on a leash and run across the street.

They finally stopped doing that after a run in with my dog when we were on a walk, and their dogs went running home.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:42 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,808 times
So true about rarely, if ever, seeing any loose dogs out.

When we first moved here, I was astounded that the garbage was to be put out at the curb in plastic bags only! I thought, "surely, you jest!" Note this was before the large trash containers that the automated trucks use now.

These plastic bags of trash would not have lasted even a few hours where we had moved from, so I was pleasantly surprised to still find them in one piece in the morning - every morning!

You really should have no problems at all!

Old 09-10-2013, 07:33 AM

Default Thanks for the responses - just what I wanted to hear!

I want a smaller lot but I thought of that the other day when I was walking around here since there would be more neighbors (good thing) but also the chance of less positive issues too. I'm happy to see that most people in Texas care for their dogs. Whether it's due to a HOA or if it's just the way things are, it's definitely another positive about DFW!

It's not like dogs are running loose around here all the time but those invisible fences aren't fool proof, especially if they're not used correctly. Also, a neighbor scared the living daylights out of someone from outside our neighbor when her dog came bounding out of the house towards her dogs. I know her dog ALWAYS stops short of the "line" but this poor woman didn't know. I just have a problem with dogs showing aggression. I've had an aggressive dog in the past and always took that into account when deciding where to walk her, what situations to put her in, etc. She was fearful and I feel she may have been mistreated by her other family but I did everything in my power to make sure she didn't get into a bad situation. It's really just a family or two in this area but all it takes is one bad apple!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: