Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2007, 09:50 AM

261 posts, read 1,515,791 times

Advertisements

We are buying a master bedroom set and the salesperson at the furniture store (no names mentioned but its a rather large company that starts with "R" and ends with "to go") quoted us a $4000 price on a king size posture-pedic mattress. He said the temper-pedics are about $500 less.

We dont know much about mattresses but do know that we want a really good woman because my wife has back problems. Does anyone have any experiences to share about the difference in these mattresses? (I think there are different types of poster-pedic mattresses too) And also where is a good place to buy them? I just want to make sure we dont get taken for a ride ($4000 is a bit steep for a mattress).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 09:58 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,993 times
As someone that has had lower back problems for years we decided to try the select comfort air adjustable king size bed a while back. Wow! I wish I would have done it many years sooner. I rarely get out of bed in the morning with a sore back and the nice thing is the wife can pick her own setting....which is a lot different than mine! I would definitely recommend checking them out. (...and we didn't pay anywhere near 4 large )

Old 11-24-2007, 11:00 AM

875 posts, read 1,092,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robzherenow View Post
We are buying a master bedroom set and the salesperson at the furniture store (no names mentioned but its a rather large company that starts with "R" and ends with "to go") quoted us a $4000 price on a king size posture-pedic mattress. He said the temper-pedics are about $500 less.

We dont know much about mattresses but do know that we want a really good woman because my wife has back problems. Does anyone have any experiences to share about the difference in these mattresses? (I think there are different types of poster-pedic mattresses too) And also where is a good place to buy them? I just want to make sure we dont get taken for a ride ($4000 is a bit steep for a mattress).
Four thousand dollars is insanely expensive for a mattress/box springs set. You would do better to go to a store that specializes in them.

I bought a new mattress/box springs a few years ago.....the choices can be overwhelming. I suggest a pillow top that you don't have to turn over to rotate. I always thought they would be too soft until I bought one.

Mine is a Chattam & Wells and I look forward to sleeping in it night after night.

I have a bad back myself because of a car injury a few years back, and have never been sorry for my decision in buying this set.

I went to various stores and layed on the mattresses. After about 20, I made my decision.

I also bought a new Sterns & Foster posture pedic for my guest room last summer that is "very" comfortable.

Both of my beds are queen size, but they're both at the upper scale of quality for both brands. I paid in the $1,600 bracket for each set.

As I said, go to a store/stores that specializes in mattresses. RTG is a furniture store that happens to fill sell mattresses with their bedroom sets, not a bed store.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by ladysrodgers; 11-24-2007 at 11:14 AM..

Old 11-24-2007, 11:10 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,569 times
Just be aware that if you try to go the route of a memory foam mattress it will be very warm. It holds your body heat very close to the surface.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:34 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Posturepedic is a "traditional" spring mattress.
Tempurpedic is a memory foam mattress.
BIG difference...

Old 11-24-2007, 11:19 PM

303 posts, read 1,011,740 times
Nope. I have a Posturepedic foam mattress. I am not pleased at all. Now I am thinking we should have tried the Select Comfort one...
Anyway, I didn't pay nearly that much for it.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:39 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,343 times
My wife and I bought a memory foam mattress off of an Amazon.com storefront and we LOVE it. I have chronic disc problems in my neck (C4 and C5) and this mattress has done wonders for me. Some people don't like the memory foam mattresses but I will never buy a regular mattress again. We got a great price on our mattress since it is a generic. SleepShop @ Amazon.com:

Old 11-25-2007, 12:45 AM

123 posts, read 551,412 times
I agree with rb4. We bought our memory foam mattress at Costco for much less and love it. The foam is totally different from a spring design but if you don't like it, you will not beat Costco's return policy if you don't like it.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:53 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Find some hotels that use these mattresses and spend a weekend at each. We don't have either but are looking at the Temper-pedic as my husband is IN LOVE w/ his Temper-pedic pillow. We spent a weekend at a hotel in Charleston, SC that had Temper-pedics and they were AWESOME!!!!!!! While this may seem like a lot of money to figure out which you like it is money WELL SPENT when your looking at paying out that much for a mattress set. Plus the bonus of spending a weekend w/ your lovely bride

My other suggestion is to visit stores that might be a higher caliber and find salespeople that they themselves actually use these mattresses in their own homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas