Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 11:34 AM

692 posts, read 854,908 times

Advertisements

Synchronicity,

Pace EDS and Lakewooder, suburban sprawl will end when Dallas is more attractive than Plano, Allen, Irving, or Pantego for people who *don't* have serious money. Us middle-class schlubs need places to live and raise kids which don't suck, too, and there are more of us than there are rich people and childless "creatives" -- and by a large margin. When I was young, hip, and the most important part of my week was career development and getting laid, urban Dallas was a pretty good scene (albeit one which was loud, dirty, stressful, and seriously lacking greenspace). For actually having a family? Sorry, but it's garbage unless you're wealthy.

The urban planners can congratulate themselves and posture on their supposed moral and economic superiority, but the Iron Laws of ROI remain in effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 12:11 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,022,573 times
DFW is expected to double up in 20 yrs. No end to suburban sprawl here any time soon.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:17 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,484,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
But most consumers and local governments are too ignorant/stupid to demand better suburbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
Other countries effortlessly create walkable environments while we increasingly create less walkable environments with gated neighborhoods or neighborhoods with one way in and one way out. The way we still build and zone communities in this country is utterly stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
No you misunderstand. The town of Plano is good for mass transit because it's an actual old town, and the street grid makes it easier to walk to bus and train stops.

It's the new suburban developments since the 50s have been designed to INHIBIT walking, cycling, and using mass transit.

The alternative is new urbanism, but that hasn't gained a foothold in Texas. AFAIK there is only ONE new urbanist development in Texas, in the town of Kyle. They had to get special exemptions from ordinances to build an old fashioned town with gridded streets and alleys.
Very good points! A lot of times the biggest obstacles to building better neighborhoods are local governments. The notion that new urbanism is some form of heavy handed government, really aggravates me. There's definitely a demand out there for this type of development, but zoning and city ordinances prohibit it. It's usually illegal to build narrow roads, mixed use buildings, and high density walkable development. Cities should be encouraging this type of development, instead of fighting it every step of the way, especially when it's been proven over and over again, that it brings in far more revenue than the traditional sprawl they choose to subsidize.

Sprawlanta seems to have a lot of the same problems Dallas has:

American Makeover Episode 1: SPRAWLANTA - YouTube

Smarter zoning is something I'd like to see more of in DFW.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:19 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Where is this idea that "Dallas is seriously lacking greenspace" coming from?

Old 09-17-2013, 12:19 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
Synchronicity,

Pace EDS and Lakewooder, suburban sprawl will end when Dallas is more attractive than Plano, Allen, Irving, or Pantego for people who *don't* have serious money. Us middle-class schlubs need places to live and raise kids which don't suck, too, and there are more of us than there are rich people and childless "creatives" -- and by a large margin. When I was young, hip, and the most important part of my week was career development and getting laid, urban Dallas was a pretty good scene (albeit one which was loud, dirty, stressful, and seriously lacking greenspace). For actually having a family? Sorry, but it's garbage unless you're wealthy.

The urban planners can congratulate themselves and posture on their supposed moral and economic superiority, but the Iron Laws of ROI remain in effect.
I lived and worked in central Dallas for 5 years and the only loud, dirty stress places lacking greenspace I came across were on the miles and miles of endless sprawl outside the urban core.

Downtown itself is mostly very pleasant, uptown incredibly clean, there are pocket parts everywhere. My urban neighborhood 2 miles from the CBD was gracious, green, quiet and lovely. There were several pocket parks within a 5 minute walk of both my house and my work.

However, drive out to Harry Hines, or up upper Greenville or on Highway 12 and the environment became immediately stressful, incredibly loud with the sound of rushing cars everywhere, seedy and depressing as hell.

Sanctuary from this madness can be found in the center city and in the rural areas on the other side of the sprawl - the sprawl itself - a nightmare to be avoided at all costs.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:30 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
Until all developable land is used up within 100 miles or so of Dallas, there will be no end to sprawl IMHO. Light rail has already made living in the burbs more accessible, and in the next 30-40 years, this will evolve into high speed rail for commuters. The suburbs are looking to create their own urban walkable environments, but making LOTS of mistakes along the way. Rowlett is a prime example - their motto in recent years is "rezone it and they will come". But that has failed miserably and as a result of city leaders' having a pie in the sky outlook, they've destroyed some property values in their wake. For instance - the creation of townhouse zoning when there was ZERO demand, and "transportation-related" zoning which made perfectly good warehouses in good condition completely worthless if they happened to go vacant. Certain steps in the right direction have been made, but some city fathers do not want to accept that the most successful types of development near light rail transit centers is multi-family housing. Which of course, in all likelihood be in decay and full of Section 8 residents in 25 or 30 years when those structures are no longer trendy and fashionable.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:37 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Part of the reason it sprawls is this worship for "newness"... you don't see a lot of people on here recommending, Garland, Irving, Carrollton, Arlington, HEB, Grand Prairie, Mesquite etc...those were at one time the places to go. Unless a suburb has something exceptional it peaks and then begans to have problems. That just feeds the next suburb/exurb farther out which is "new".

Old 09-17-2013, 12:48 PM

692 posts, read 854,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Where is this idea that "Dallas is seriously lacking greenspace" coming from?
From all the places working and middle-class people who are thinking of starting families can afford to live in urban Dallas -- speaking as a guy who gave it a very serious go, and eventually left because I just couldn't stand all the noise, concrete, and pollution (let's not get started on uptown. Uptown is gorgeous, and clearly not intended for my demographic). The wealthy get plenty of green, but trash and bum-infested pocket-parks (downtown? clean? Komeht, are you kidding?) are no place you'd ever let your kids play unsupervised, unless you want to show up on CNN.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:09 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,484,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
, but trash and bum-infested pocket-parks (downtown? clean? Komeht, are you kidding?) are no place you'd ever let your kids play unsupervised, unless you want to show up on CNN.
When's the last time you've been to DT Dallas? Obviously, not recently. There are tons of kids playing at the CLEAN & SAFE Klyde Warren Park, Main Street Park, Exall Park, and Belo Gardens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Part of the reason it sprawls is this worship for "newness"... you don't see a lot of people on here recommending, Garland, Irving, Carrollton, Arlington, HEB, Grand Prairie, Mesquite etc...those were at one time the places to go. Unless a suburb has something exceptional it peaks and then begans to have problems. That just feeds the next suburb/exurb farther out which is "new".
Very true, and at the expense of shorter commutes(more time with family), more activities, and a better chance at building equity.

As a long time DFW Resident I've noticed a cycle:

(1) Developers start building in a rural area, it usually starts off as nice custom, homes, then starts to fade into massive tract developments. People rush in to all that's new and shiny.

(2) Retail follows all the new rooftops.

(3) The people have kids, and the kids go off to college.

(4) The kids don't come back to the now decades OLD neighborhoods, instead they move to an urban area or a newer and shinier exurb.

(5) The older wealthier residents move close to kids in exurbs or down size to urban area, or stay put.

(6) The once shiny stores and strip malls move to follow the money or just close, suburban blight starts ramping up.

(7) Property values stagnate or plummet, and once nice homes become rental units. Schools deteriorate.

(8) Eventually structure values drop low enough for developers to tear down existing homes and replace them with bigger new ones. Retail follows

(9) Step 8 will never happen in many far out suburbs

Lots of Dallas neighborhoods have seen one full cycle. I fear that most of the sprawl in Dallas will never make it past step 6, and deteriorate.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:15 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
When's the last time you've been to DT Dallas? Obviously, not recently. There are tons of kids playing at the CLEAN & SAFE Klyde Warren Park, Main Street Park, Exall Park, and Belo Gardens.

Very true, and at the expense of shorter commutes(more time with family), more activities, and a better chance at building equity.

As a long time DFW Resident I've noticed a cycle:

(1) Developers start building in a rural area, it usually starts off as nice custom, homes, then starts to fade into massive tract developments. People rush in to all that's new and shiny.

(2) Retail follows all the new rooftops.

(3) The people have kids, and the kids go off to college.

(4) The kids don't come back to the now decades OLD neighborhoods, instead they move to an urban area or a newer and shinier exurb.

(5) The older wealthier residents move close to kids in exurbs or down size to urban area, or stay put.

(6) The once shiny stores and strip malls move to follow the money or just close, suburban blight starts ramping up.

(7) Property values stagnate or plummet, and once nice homes become rental units. Schools deteriorate.

(8) Eventually structure values drop low enough for developers to tear down existing homes and replace them with bigger new ones. Retail follows

(9) Step 8 will never happen in many far out suburbs

Lots of Dallas neighborhoods have seen one full cycle. I fear that most of the sprawl in Dallas will never make it past step 6, and deteriorate.
We're on the upswing in Richardson but we definitely went through steps 1-6. Property values didn't plummet but they did stagnate somewhat and now they're on the upswing. We're already seeing teardowns in my neighborhood in Richardson, though thankfully they are confined to a very small section with large, creekside lots. Let's hope it doesn't spread further, though we do have a brand-new wart on Newberry courtesy of Shaddock & Caldwell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas