Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 09:37 AM

263 posts, read 408,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
I would take out $5-8/ sqft for the backyard because putting a nice landscaping with privacy fence (depends whether HOA has restrictions) can run into $20-25k...
That is much more than I expected. Would a wood 6 or 8 foot privacy fence along that backyard cost $ 20-25k?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 09:38 AM

8,020 posts, read 3,588,738 times
Quote:
I would have to agree with jDallas. Nothing unique in my opinion. Piered slab foundation is not unique. Go check any foundation that is being poured today and it is piered slab. I think the owner might be trying to confuse you by passing it on as "pier and beam" which is very different foundation and will cost you about $30k more I agree but since it is concrete block there should not be any premium. Media room is nothing to write home about. If you want to see how a complete media (without equipment) looks then go look at any new home. Media rooms are overrated in my opinion but in any case the sqft is included in the house and as such has been priced. No point in double dipping. The backyard is not at all private but I think it depends on your taste. Ok may be they paid less than $10k for outdoor living that should only get them $3k more in reselling IF AND ONLY IF none of the other comps in that area has outdoor living.

At the end of the day it is Las Colinas with significant soil movements so I would say you can get great homes elsewhere at that price point. I know you probably love the curb appeal so choose what you need most... While you are at it, check whether any pool company will warranty a pool in the backyard... that should tell you a lot about the soil.

I'm not sure this is right. If you look at houses for sale, very few are listed with piered slab. Usually (at least) in plano/allen/frisco area you have to go into very high price range with huge house footprint and then you sometimes see "piered slab". In my opinion, considering the soil and the droughts everything should be built with piered slab, but it is not, because it costs more.

That being said, it could be that because of the even worse soil in the Las colinas area larger portion of house are built with piered slabs.

Lastly, a while ago I've seen a house advertised as a piered slab, turned out it just had a foundation repair, so yes, it was piered...

Old 09-25-2013, 09:46 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,420,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoDFW View Post
I agree with the backyard being open. We plan to put a privacy fence all around. To be fair, the home looks better than the pics allow. Not very knowledgeable about the rest.

Just curious - what would be included in your 25-50k renovations?
If it is HOA-burdened property, that would be a real turnoff.
Also although you have made grand plans about what you would do, you would have to get permission from the naysayers known as the "architectural committee". You might want to first see if there is a prohibition against privacy fences for all or even just that lot. If so you will have an uphill battle putting in a privacy fence on "your" lot. Even if not, you may still have a battle since the decision is typically the sole discretion of the dictator du jour.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:49 AM

I checked with the HOA architectural control - privacy fences are allowed on the property, with specified pullbacks, which is already in effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
If it is HOA-burdened property, that would be a real turnoff.
Also although you have made grand plans about what you would do, you would have to get permission from the naysayers known as the "architectural committee". You might want to first see if there is a prohibition against privacy fences for all or even just that lot. If so you will have an uphill battle putting in a privacy fence on "your" lot. Even if not, you may still have a battle since the decision is typically the sole discretion of the dictator du jour.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:50 AM

953 posts, read 1,821,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoDFW View Post
That is much more than I expected. Would a wood 6 or 8 foot privacy fence along that backyard cost $ 20-25k?!
Depends on HOA. Some HOAs have restrictions for wrought iron fencing on corner lots or certain specific lots. You might want to check that document from the homeowner or the community HOA. I was including the price of trees and other landscaping along with a green screen in case HOA restrictions are present.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post

That being said, it could be that because of the even worse soil in the Las colinas area larger portion of house are built with piered slabs.
You may be right. I was thinking of OP saying footings as piers. Slab on grade does have footings about 36 inches deep...

Old 09-25-2013, 10:59 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,556,675 times
Quote:
I will not speculate because I don't want to do disservice to an owner. If I were you, I will talk to my realtor and compare the features of nearby comps to arrive at a price. For example, if none of the comps have outdoor living then I might pay a 1 $/sqft more for the outdoor living. Similarly lot location, curb appeal etc will come into the picture. I would take out $5-8/ sqft for the backyard because putting a nice landscaping with privacy fence (depends whether HOA has restrictions) can run into $20-25k...
20k for a privacy fence?!?!?

Old 09-25-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
20k for a privacy fence?!?!?
Ok. Again. I included trees and better landscaping in that price...

Old 09-25-2013, 11:44 AM

So what does the installed cost for a 8 feet wood privacy fence run per square foot?

Quote:
Ok. Again. I included trees and better landscaping in that price...

Old 09-25-2013, 11:49 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,614,554 times
Any time I have noticed someone posting a house they are interested, the responders enjoy making disparaging remarks and trashing the property and/or the community. Locals know that Hackberry Creek is an HOA community so there ya go, the attacks begin with that too. You do need to disregard comments and get an appraisal on the house to find out the market value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas