Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 09:01 PM

3 posts, read 4,597 times

Advertisements

I am a mid-20s young professional who is relocating from NY for a job in Gainesville. I don't know anyone in the area and was wondering how a reverse commute from Dallas to the Gainesville area would work?

Obviously this is a pretty long commute, but I think I could handle it if the reverse flow traffic heading north on 35 isn't too bad. I would like to be within a fairly short cab ride to the uptown area if at all possible.

Let me know what you think and how bad the traffic would be. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 10:07 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,484,744 times
I had to do a double take when you said Gainesville

Sorry, but that is way too far to commute. I'm a Dallas booster when recommending neighborhoods for young people, but that is just way too far. Look into Denton. Denton has 2 major universities and a fairly lively nightlife and live music scene around the square. A lot of college kids, but Denton really isn't just a typical college town, there are a lot of people who stay after college. It's too hipster for me but I have friends who love it up there.

There is also DCTA rail line that connects to DART, you could easily take that down to Dallas on the weekends. I had a friend who does that, and crashes with people in Dallas instead of driving drunk.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:36 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithtodal View Post
I am a mid-20s young professional who is relocating from NY for a job in Gainesville. I don't know anyone in the area and was wondering how a reverse commute from Dallas to the Gainesville area would work?

Obviously this is a pretty long commute, but I think I could handle it if the reverse flow traffic heading north on 35 isn't too bad. I would like to be within a fairly short cab ride to the uptown area if at all possible.

Let me know what you think and how bad the traffic would be. Thanks.
I'm with Ronnie. Buy UNT season tickets and some green clothes and hunker down in Denton.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:40 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
That's too far. Gainesville is easily over an hour from Dallas with no traffic. Add in rush hour, and you will be spending at least 3 hours a day in your car! Plus, you will be frequently late to work...

Denton is a lot of fun, and it's also a lot closer to Gainesville. You can drive to Uptown on weekends and get a hotel room.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:52 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
35 is not a fast moving highway in either direction during rush hour. There are also several Multi-year construction projects intersecting 35 between downtown and Gainsville that back up onto 35 during the am / pm commutes (and other times!)

If your heart is set on Uptown, you need to seek employment no further north than 121 or west of 161/121.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:21 AM

3 posts, read 4,597 times
Thanks for the replies!

I'll give you some more thoughts about why I was thinking about living near Dallas:

So I currently commute an hour by car each way, and do not actually mind it. My significant other, who will be eventually joining me and working near downtown, does not like to commute.

I was thinking more of trying to live in the North Dallas area. If the commute is under 1.5 hrs I think I could manage. My job also requires a lot of travel, out of DFW, so I wouldn't be making the commute every day. Idk if this changes anything?

Old 09-26-2013, 11:37 AM

3,997 posts, read 5,012,780 times
I used to have this friend who lived in Gainesville and worked at the old Boeing plant that's something else now in Corinth... the other side of Denton. It took them about 45-60 minutes each way and that was in the 90's. It's only gotten worse since then, IMO. Now, they lived out by Moss Lake so that tacked on an additional 10 or so minutes but still...the congestion is pretty bad.

I understand that your SO would not like the commute but you have to remember, Gainesville is about what, 15 minutes to the border of OK? It's going to be torturous...even if you like the drive...the stop and go and accidents and construction... O.M.G. dude, don't do that to yourself. I also understand that you might want to be close to active nightlife or other such things but I suggest finding a decent place say in Denton or even Gainesville. THEN....when your SO joins you in the future, you can plan more on your living/working situation. Who knows, she may have a different location by then or maybe even a different job. I really can't stress enough how you will turn your positive attitude all around with just a few months of really bad driving commute...well, that's my opinion anyway. Good luck.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:20 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithtodal View Post
If the commute is under 1.5 hrs I think I could manage. My job also requires a lot of travel, out of DFW, so I wouldn't be making the commute every day. Idk if this changes anything?
No, not at all!

DO trust the replies you've already received!

While it may appear "almost doable" on paper... it is NOT in real-life day-to-day living and commuting here!

Come try a couple of test drives if we've left you with any doubt!

Old 09-26-2013, 12:42 PM

3,997 posts, read 5,012,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
No, not at all!

DO trust the replies you've already received!

While it may appear "almost doable" on paper... it is NOT in real-life day-to-day living and commuting here!

Come try a couple of test drives if we've left you with any doubt!
Yep...that real life, day to day is the real clincher! You look at the miles, you look at the map, you think "yes, I can do this"...but think about what you'd rather be doing with ALL that time you would be spending on the road.

Also, think about the wear and tear on your car...tires, overheating, etc. and about the shear number of people you'll be driving next to that don't have the same attention span you have. You might get into an accident (I truly hope not btw) but you just can't know...there are some really crappy drivers out there. LIKE REALLY CRAPPY...just sayin'.

Really do try to trust us on this one...your reasoning may seem like a plan now, but the reality is a little crazy. And if your SO does actually move down here, you can meet that challenge at that time. With all the driving, you'd either never have any time at home or no time with your SO. Let us know...

Old 09-26-2013, 01:14 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Nope, still doesn't change my recommendation. If you are hell-bent on doing that commute, then please at least read up on the MULTI-YEAR construction projects at 30, 635, and the lake bridge that you will exude 2X daily for years before signing a lease!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas