Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 11:38 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlebravo View Post
Texas in general, has two seasons:

summer, and almost summer.
I wouldn't call a season "almost summer" where you will die outside without a jacket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 11:50 AM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castlebravo View Post
I've lived in DFW for 32 years. I can tell you that a white Christmas is highly abnormal. As in, it's happened in or around Christmas 4 times in those 32 years. 2 of those years happen to have been in the last 5 years.

The problem with DFW or Houston isn't just the heat, it's the humidity. A lot of places get to 100+ degrees during the day, and cool off to the 70s fairly rapidly at night. You can walk outside in DFW at 2 am in the morning and the temperature is still 95-100 degrees. The only real break in the heat, such that it is, happens during the 2 hours before dawn.

The reason why people in Minnesota keel over dead from a heatwave where temperatures hit 95 degrees is because very few people have air conditioning in their homes and people aren't acclimated to those temperatures. I would not like to ride out a Texas summer without air conditioning.

Tap the brake.
Around Dallas July and August are tied as the hottest months both have daily average highs of 96 and average daily lows of 77. I'd guess 100 at 2am happens once or twice per century if that.
And Dallas is significantly drier than Houston.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:56 PM

263 posts, read 410,767 times
How are people defining winter in the above comments, as in max / min temperatures?

We moved from NYC last June, partly to escape the cold. We have been through one winter, and although it wasn't as cold as NYC, I had been hoped it to be a little warmer than it turned out to be.

I also get the feeling that the max temps here do not accurately reflect the perception of winter, as there is a wide range in daily temperature any given day - so it might just be 2 hours of 55 F between 2-4 pm, with most of the rest of the day when you are outside being 35 F or lower.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:14 PM

988 posts, read 1,827,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
Actually, most homes and places of business in the southern 2/3s of the state, including the Twin Cities, have air conditioning. In my office, we usually have our AC on from early May to ... well, its October 1st and its still on.
And I would have to agree. About the only places I ever saw without central air were either very old, historic homes or in especially poor neighborhoods. Even then, usually there were window units...

Old 10-01-2013, 04:28 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,943,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
I would like to see some data where it is 95 or 100 at 2am in Dallas because it sounds like you completely made that up.
How about some anecdotal data? I got up in the middle of the night to let my dogs out and was hit by a blast of suffocating humid hot air. I looked at the thermometer on the side of my house and it read close to 100. Not exaggerating in the least.

I hear Saturday will be in the 70s. I can't wait. I love the cooler temps!!!

Old 10-02-2013, 07:22 AM

554 posts, read 1,196,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
I would like to see some data where it is 95 or 100 at 2am in Dallas because it sounds like you completely made that up.
LOL! Same here! castlebravo's comment is EXACTLY what I am talking about! It's so over the top and annoying.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoDFW View Post
How are people defining winter in the above comments, as in max / min temperatures?

We moved from NYC last June, partly to escape the cold. We have been through one winter, and although it wasn't as cold as NYC, I had been hoped it to be a little warmer than it turned out to be.

I also get the feeling that the max temps here do not accurately reflect the perception of winter, as there is a wide range in daily temperature any given day - so it might just be 2 hours of 55 F between 2-4 pm, with most of the rest of the day when you are outside being 35 F or lower.
You are exactly right! The temp readings are based on a 24 hour cycle so, like you said, the day time high could be just between 2pm-4pm. Also, in the winter, the day time high can happen at 2AM but the afternoon temp is no where near the day's high.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
How about some anecdotal data? I got up in the middle of the night to let my dogs out and was hit by a blast of suffocating humid hot air. I looked at the thermometer on the side of my house and it read close to 100. Not exaggerating in the least.

I hear Saturday will be in the 70s. I can't wait. I love the cooler temps!!!
LOL...no. Anecdotal data is not data. It needs to be verifiable. Throw that thermometer away. Use this instead:Weather History for Dallas Love, TX | Weather Underground

Old 10-02-2013, 08:04 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,402,042 times
Just in case anyone is curious, since i've been monitoring this summer (I have sooo many cool hobbies), the high temperature of the day has been between 4:00-5:30pm fairly consistently and the lowest temp has been between 5:30am and 7:30am fairly consistently.

Before this, I would have figured noon - 4:00 was the hottest, and something like 1-3am the coolest. So it's not completely wrong that you could still be hit by a blast of hot air if you are up past midnight.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:11 AM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Just in case anyone is curious, since i've been monitoring this summer (I have sooo many cool hobbies), the high temperature of the day has been between 4:00-5:30pm fairly consistently and the lowest temp has been between 5:30am and 7:30am fairly consistently.

Before this, I would have figured noon - 4:00 was the hottest, and something like 1-3am the coolest. So it's not completely wrong that you could still be hit by a blast of hot air if you are up past midnight.
Sure but if the other guy's thermometer really read ~100F after midnight something was wrong. Maybe his gauge was mounted on a brick wall that held heat later into the evening or something like that.

I've looked a bit and haven't found an example of the temp being 100 after midnight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas