Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2013, 01:36 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,454 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! My 30 year old fiance and I are looking at moving from the Atlanta suburbs to Dallas because I will be working at Love Field. We're flying to DAL next weekend to scout out areas and I would surely appreciate some advice on where to look-

We'll be renting until we get a taste of the area and figure out where to buy--within reasonable distance to DAL Love Field--so I'm looking for relatively inexpensive (preferably no more than $700-800/month) in an area that won't get us killed, hopefully

To be honest, we're both a little bit moderate-liberal leaning and are both kind of hesitant to move to such a red state, but I've heard so many good things about Dallas that I'm flying in to check it out. He works in education, how is the job market for teachers?

In your opinion in terms of safety and things to do (arts, shopping, nightlife) , what are the best and worst areas of Dallas?

Thanks for the advice, see ya'll next week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 10:06 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Hey everyone! My 30 year old fiance and I are looking at moving from the Atlanta suburbs to Dallas because I will be working at Love Field. We're flying to DAL next weekend to scout out areas and I would surely appreciate some advice on where to look-

We'll be renting until we get a taste of the area and figure out where to buy--within reasonable distance to DAL Love Field--so I'm looking for relatively inexpensive (preferably no more than $700-800/month) in an area that won't get us killed, hopefully
My first suggestion would be to look into the Medical District area (75235). It's close to Love Field all the buildings are new, and there are many young professionals working at Love Field and all the Hospitals around there. Rents are going up, but you should be able to find something in your budget. Here's some options:

The Southwestern

5225 Maple

Quote:
To be honest, we're both a little bit moderate-liberal leaning and are both kind of hesitant to move to such a red state, but I've heard so many good things about Dallas that I'm flying in to check it out. He works in education, how is the job market for teachers?
Stick to Dallas proper. Most people in the core are open minded and moderate.

Uptown is the spot these days, but northern Oak Lawn (75219) will be closer to work and fit your budget better, plus there's a lot going on in Oak Lawn. Most people will be close to your age in the area, and it's very close to your work, excellent parks, and restaurants/nightlife nearby.A lot of the rentals in Oak Lawn are privately owned and do not advertise(they're that popular!).

Padmapper.com is a good resource: 75219

MyDallasRealEstate.com - Dallas County Real Estate > For Rent > Residential

Quote:
In your opinion in terms of safety and things to do (arts, shopping, nightlife) , what are the best and worst areas of Dallas?

Thanks for the advice, see ya'll next week!
The neighborhoods I listed are safe, and offer the best amount and variety of activities in all of DFW. Luckily your job is in a convenient location

Old 10-04-2013, 10:39 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,294 times
I second North Oak Lawn. Look on streets like Bowser, Hawthorne, Herschel, Holland, Avondale and Prescott, between Lemmon Avenue and the Highland Park border. Lots of older but well-maintained duplexes and apartment buildings full of young professionals and some newer condos along shaded streets. You won't have the snazzy, big apartment communities with all the bells and whistles like in adjacent Uptown but you don't have as much noise and traffic either, and it's cheaper than Uptown and more uniformly nice than much of the Medical District, some of which is still hit-and-miss. And you can take Inwood Road for a straight shot down to Love Field.

The only thing is a lot of the landlords don't necessarily advertise, outside of putting a for rent/for lease sign out front. So you'll have to drive around.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:32 AM

497 posts, read 696,396 times
Quote:
To be honest, we're both a little bit moderate-liberal leaning and are both kind of hesitant to move to such a red state, but I've heard so many good things about Dallas that I'm flying in to check it out.
You do know that Georgia is a red state - correct? What exactly are you concerned about?

Old 10-10-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirlatl View Post
You do know that Georgia is a red state - correct? What exactly are you concerned about?
Uh, yes all too aware unfortunately. I live in ATL though so its a bit of a relief. I stick out like a sore thumb with the church-going conservative crowd so I would prefer to live away from that.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:17 PM

thanks for the great information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas