Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 02:43 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgirlinCA View Post
1) the awful hot summers - are they really really miserable?
Yes.

Quote:
2) snakes and creepy crawlies - how prevalent are they?
Quite, especially if you're in exurbia (like Allen).

Quote:
3) crime , although we would be living in Plano or Allen most likely
Why Plano or Allen? You said you were moving to DALLAS....those aren't even in the same county.

Quote:
4) tornadoes - ??? how often
The DFW area gets them every year. You're more likely to see them in some areas than others. I grew up in Dallas and have never seen a tornado in my life. For some reason tornadoes seem to be more common in less urban areas...like the suburbs.

Quote:
5) are there a lot of RV dealers in the Dallas area?
Seems to be.

Quote:
All in all, I've heard a lot of really good things about Dallas and I am very excited about our possible relocation. I have noticed from some previous posts that a lot of people from CA are heading to Texas. I really love the thought of being able to buy a nice house for 150k....Our 600 sq ft condo here goes for over 300k its RIDICULOUS.
ANY INPUT/SUGGESTIONS/ OR ANYTHING WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!!
Thank you for your time!!!
There are a ton of Californians moving here. Don't be surprised if some people in Texas try to talk you out of coming here; a lot of people are starting to resent the mass migration from the west coast. As long as you're prepared to accept Texas for what it is and not gripe about how it's not California, you'll probably be fine out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 03:37 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,512 times
Having you considered Arizona? Based on your comments, it sounds like you would do well in the Phoenix area. You would get a lower cost of living combined with good job opprtunities for both of you. And it would be a shorter, cheaper move from the OC, 300 miles to Phoenix vs 1200 miles to DFW.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:13 PM

875 posts, read 1,093,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Having you considered Arizona? Based on your comments, it sounds like you would do well in the Phoenix area. You would get a lower cost of living combined with good job opprtunities for both of you. And it would be a shorter, cheaper move from the OC, 300 miles to Phoenix vs 1200 miles to DFW.
Phoenix also consistantly gets 110 degree weather and up during the summer months, monsoon season, and even more snakes.....lol

Old 11-18-2007, 04:33 PM

215 posts, read 985,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
Phoenix also consistantly gets 110 degree weather and up during the summer months, monsoon season, and even more snakes.....lol
110 no try 120 degrees you can fry an egg on the side walk

Old 11-18-2007, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,769 times
I've been here for 20 years and came from Michigan. You get used to the summers and it is worth it to have pretty descent weather the rest of the time. Yes, there are bugs, but you get used to them too. The crime is worse in the southern areas of Dallas. There is some crime in other areas, but North Dallas is a good area of town to be in and is not to far from a lot of the positive activities in Dallas. Allen is nice, but farther away from a lot of the activities. There are on occasion tornados. I don't know much about the RV business in Dallas. Hope this helps.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:27 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,512 times
Oh I forgot to mention - RE tornadoes in DFW. The relative risk is lower than what you currently face with earthquakes in the OC.
You are much more likely to be affected by famous Texas hail - sometimes the size of golf balls. I'll yield to other posters here to tell you about that.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:54 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
There are a ton of Californians moving here. Don't be surprised if some people in Texas try to talk you out of coming here; a lot of people are starting to resent the mass migration from the west coast. As long as you're prepared to accept Texas for what it is and not gripe about how it's not California, you'll probably be fine out here.

Money quote. Texas is not California. If you think it's California with cheaper housing and no beach you will be unhappy. But if you embrace the history, culture, people and their way of life and not waste time comparing everything to California I think you will be pleasantly surprised and very happy you came, as are my wife and I.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:59 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Oh I forgot to mention - RE tornadoes in DFW. The relative risk is lower than what you currently face with earthquakes in the OC.
You are much more likely to be affected by famous Texas hail - sometimes the size of golf balls. I'll yield to other posters here to tell you about that.

I've seen baseball and tennis ball sized hail in Garland in either 2000 or 2001. The damage from that was just amazing, roofers were backlogged for months.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:12 PM

96 posts, read 315,297 times
I'm a native So. Cal girl for 44 years. Just move to Rockwall area 1 month ago in a rural area. Lots, and lots of big wolf spiders. I saw my first snake last week when my son run over it by accident. Then saw a baby snake in my back yard the same day. Then to top it off the same baby snake was found inside my house. I hate, hate , hate snakes. But I still would not move back to CA. The gas is a little cheaper in Texas but I use much more here just driving to the store and back. Everything seem to be at least 30min away. I did buy my big beautiful house for a great price. The gas(propane) is more here but the electric is about the same. I would have to say the food is about the same here as CA.
In CA we were limit.Here we have more land to do more things. It has brought our family so much closer.

Texas is a much better place to raise your children.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:15 PM

96 posts, read 315,297 times
Hopefully if you move to Texas please leave your CA baggage in CA just as we did. Start new and don't bring that So. CA attitude to Texas. <smile>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas