Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 08:39 AM

533 posts, read 642,587 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have been a long time lurker on CD forums, planning my move from Minnesota to Dallas. I finally got a job and can say goodbye to Santa's home! I have used the search function extensively and have gotten wealth of information. But it would be great if you could help me out with a few things and validate my plan. I will be moving there with my wife and two kids. But I plan to move there alone next month and stay in an extended stay hotel for a couple of weeks while I figure out a place to live. I will be working in downtown Dallas (Arts district) for 3 days a week and work from home the other two days. Four areas that I have narrowed down (in order of preference) are:
1. Las Colinas
2. North Dallas (South of 635)
3. Valley Ranch
4. Richardson
I would prefer to rent a townhouse or a single family house because they seem to be a better bang for the buck as compared to living in an apartment complex. My budget is ~$1500 and I am looking for 2 bedroom, 2 bath, and at least 1400 sq feet of living space, preferably with an attached garage. A few questions:
1. Do you have any realtor recommendations that you could send to me via direct message? (I already looked at realtor.com and have bookmarked a few places I liked)
2. Is it possible to get a home with my specs in my budget in the areas listed above?
3. If I live close to a DART train station (within a mile), would the trains be loud at night?
4. Is it possible to find a home and get the lease signed within two weeks? - I am not too picky ...alright a little bit
5. Do you have any long distance moving company suggestions that are reliable but are cheaper than some of the big national ones?
6. Any other suggestions are welcome!
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 12:25 PM

3,984 posts, read 5,014,494 times
I know you'll get a ton of advice on specific housing markets/rentals et al from far savvier posters than I...however, I'm wondering why you haven't considered East Dallas (Lakewood, Lake Highlands, Swiss Avenue area etc.). I understand you're looking in some great places, but I would be concerned with the commute to downtown. The Arts District is a great area although pretty congested. As you drive down Ross Avenue toward Greenville Avenue, you have so many options that are pretty cool and close to your work. I think you could find something in those areas for your budget, but you must have a reason for choosing farther out?

Old 10-08-2013, 12:44 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,083 times
You might check out what the townhomes (Valley Ranch area) are renting for in Cypress Waters. You'd get Coppell schools there.

The Neighborhoods of Cypress Waters|One, Two and Three-bedroom Flats and Townhome rentals in Dallas, Texas

Old 10-08-2013, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the input!
ShellNic - I didn't consider East Dallas because I got the impression that the areas weren't that good. But thanks for the suggestion, I will certainly look into the areas that you mentioned. Sounds like the traffic from east Dallas to downtown would be lesser than from north and west sides. Would it be fairly manageable during the rush hours?

mSooner - Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into the townhomes you suggested. For now schools aren't a big concern for us since my oldest is 3 and we plan to buy a house before he starts school. But I certainly appreciate your thought.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:01 PM

fwsavemoney: some parts are a little sketchy (especially if you're not familiar) but not too bad. However, there are gorgeous homes in and around White Rock Lake and all the surrounding areas (Lakewood and Lake Highlands). It's really has a fantastic overall vibe though and you may like that. Also, Swiss Avenue is essentially a historical street with magnificent homes...but the general vibe of the other streets is very similar.

I'm usually passing through downtown to get to I-30 East going away from downtown and so I pass down Ross Avenue pretty frequently. I have been spotting some really cool rentals along the way, not just on Ross but Haskell and Swiss and some others. The commute to the Arts District from say Ross & Haskell or Greenville Ave is roughly 10 minutes with lights...maybe another 5 if you get behind some slow pokes.

I have a friend who lives near Garland Avenue (very close to the Dallas Arboretum) and she drives to north of downtown and it takes her about 25 minutes...so for you in the Arts District, I would guess about 15 to 25. It's all surface streets, not highway stop and go treachery. You'd have ten different ways to get to the same place...just a thought.

As I was driving from Ross, to Haskell, to Swiss yesterday, I thought, if I could, I'd live somewhere over there.The trees are beautiful, its easy access to everything you could possibly want, tons of parks and activities...there's a cool community garden on Fitzhugh near Live Oak. Again, some areas can be sketchy but then one block over is excellent. I just like the whole area and have never felt unsafe. I use my head though...it's worth a look, IMO.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:50 PM

Thanks again ShellNic. I will certainly check those areas out. I plan to drive around in my first week there to get a good idea of what fits my needs better. I will add these areas to my list. I just googled White rock lake and it is gorgeous indeed. Also, a shorter commute would always be good - will get some brownie points from wifey by coming home early

Old 10-09-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwsavemoney View Post
Thanks again ShellNic. I will certainly check those areas out. I plan to drive around in my first week there to get a good idea of what fits my needs better. I will add these areas to my list. I just googled White rock lake and it is gorgeous indeed. Also, a shorter commute would always be good - will get some brownie points from wifey by coming home early
Yes, I have to say, a shorter commute will not only make wifey happy but also you! When you walk through the door, you won't be all snippy because you dealt with the crazy drivers for too long!!

Anyway, glad you'll look over that way...I bet you could find a house rental even...although I'm not sure of the rental prices...but I bet you'd have a fairly good range to choose from. Good luck...come back and update us when you get settled!

Old 10-09-2013, 08:17 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,861,784 times
Most of the DART trains are electric and are fairly quiet. The warning bells on the gates and the train horns will be the loudest noises, but I don't consider them too loud. You would probably only hear them about a 1/4 of a mile away.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:34 AM

ShellNic - I agree on the shorter commute making me happy too! I work very close to work now and take the back roads. It is a huge benefit.
DitsyD - Thanks for the info. This is good to know, in case the place I rent ends up being close to a DART line.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:41 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
I live near the Lakewood Theater and Library and driving downtown is about 10 minutes, sometimes less. Also there bus lines on some of the streets, very easy to walk a couple of blocks and catch one. NO FREEWAYS or TOLLWAYS - that's a huge relief right there - you do not get stuck.

The other day I had to drive during "rush hour" to the George Allen Courthouse on the other side of downtown (west). I took Abrams/ Columbia/Canton/Young and did not hit a light until Griffin Street, right by the courthouse. 5 minutes door-to-door!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas