Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:23 AM

93 posts, read 465,890 times

Advertisements

A few things i'd like to point out which I think you may find useful since i've also been shopping for homes in both areas (feel free to PM me with any questions):

1. Not all areas of Valley Ranch are Coppell ISD, in fact many are also Carrollton/Farmers-Branch, so the actual school tax rate may be the same.

2. Many areas of Valley Ranch fall into a Flood Control District (FCD), check any homes you're interested in using the Dallas County Apprasail District website (search by address). Dallas Central Appraisal District You'll find that many Valley Ranch homes have about $500 extra (depending on home value) in property taxes as compared to homes in Hackberry Creek which don't have this extra line item.

3. The Hackberry HOA is broken down into 4 parts:
-Las Colinas HOA (provides alarm monitoring)
-Hackberry Creek Security
-Hackberry Creek Common Areas
-DirecTV Subscription (about $365/year or so, so roughly $30/month which is decent price for sattelite).

If you subtract the FCD that you might pay in Valley Ranch, and the DirecTV sub (since you'd probably be paying for Cable/Sattelite anyway). The HOA's aren't terrible.

Have you looked at the La Villita area of Las Colinas, it's very new, but also quite nice. The homes are pricier than both Hackberry Creek and Valley Ranch (per square foot). I'm not all that sure how pricing will hold up there since there is an abundance of rental apartments as well as condos/townhomes in La Villita. In the long term, if the rental units start dropping in rates, it could adversely affect the well-being of the neighborhood.

Some other things to consider in your decision:
-There are no apartments in Hackberry Creek, Valley Ranch has several complexes

-Older homes in Hackberry Creek are Pier and Beam, everything i've looked at in Valley Ranch was slab (this is neither positive or negative, just an observation)

-Be aware that there is a power plant in the South-Eastern portion of Valley Ranch. If you look at some of the homes in that area, you'll definitely see the plant on the horizon. This may be a negative selling point for later. The newer more expensive Grand Homes fall into this area (do a search on Grand as some have found their homes to be built well while others haven't)

Additionally, the land surrounding the plant has been sold, and is slated for development. I believe most of the land is owned by the Billingsley group, and they plan to build high-end townhomes and other high-density units in the area. The new area will be called "Cypress Waters" and will probably change the shape of Valley Ranch, although i'm thinking the impact will be positive. Supposedly much of the area surrounding Fry's/Home Depot will be developed.

-The Dallas Cowboys will be moving from Texas Stadium to a new stadium in Arlington. I have no idea what will happen to their training facilities currently located in Valley Ranch, if they'll remain, or move as well.

-Back to the power plant, there are power lines all over the area as they extend from the plant. There have been studies saying that living close to these could be harmful, and other studies saying that there are no effects. Personally, i'd rather live further from the power lines as it could adversely affect resale value. I've noticed that homes appear to take longer to sell in areas that are densely covered by power lines.

-There are several gates areas in Valley Ranch, but HOAs are also somewhat high (add their HOA + cable +FCD fee and you're pretty much at Hackberry's HOA), but I believe that those HOAs in V.Ranch *usually* include front yard maintenance.

Having said all of the above, I believe that either area is quite decent, and it's hard to go wrong either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 12:36 PM

563 posts, read 3,743,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intence View Post
-Be aware that there is a power plant in the South-Eastern portion of Valley Ranch. If you look at some of the homes in that area, you'll definitely see the plant on the horizon. .
Where exactly is the powerplant? I tried googling it and haven't had much luck finding it on their maps. I'm looking in the same area and did not realise that a power plant was that close by.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:50 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,329,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm2768 View Post
Where exactly is the powerplant? I tried googling it and haven't had much luck finding it on their maps. I'm looking in the same area and did not realise that a power plant was that close by.
Google Maps - North Lake Powerplant

Old 11-29-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphOfTheSprint View Post
Thanks Triumph. I was googling just 'power plants' and that didn't do much That thing is smack in the middle of things, isn't it!! So you've got the power plant on one side of valley ranch and some new development soon at the Cowboy's old HQ on the other side! Any idea yet what plans are for the Cowboys place? I heard some mention of it being converted into a retail area???

Old 11-29-2007, 06:29 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
2. Many areas of Valley Ranch fall into a Flood Control District (FCD), check any homes you're interested in using the Dallas County Apprasail District website (search by address). Dallas Central Appraisal District You'll find that many Valley Ranch homes have about $500 extra (depending on home value) in property taxes as compared to homes in Hackberry Creek which don't have this extra line item.

-Older homes in Hackberry Creek are Pier and Beam, everything i've looked at in Valley Ranch was slab (this is neither positive or negative, just an observation)

-Be aware that there is a power plant in the South-Eastern portion of Valley Ranch. If you look at some of the homes in that area, you'll definitely see the plant on the horizon. This may be a negative selling point for later. The newer more expensive Grand Homes fall into this area (do a search on Grand as some have found their homes to be built well while others haven't)

Additionally, the land surrounding the plant has been sold, and is slated for development. I believe most of the land is owned by the Billingsley group, and they plan to build high-end townhomes and other high-density units in the area. The new area will be called "Cypress Waters" and will probably change the shape of Valley Ranch, although i'm thinking the impact will be positive. Supposedly much of the area surrounding Fry's/Home Depot will be developed.

-The Dallas Cowboys will be moving from Texas Stadium to a new stadium in Arlington. I have no idea what will happen to their training facilities currently located in Valley Ranch, if they'll remain, or move as well.

-Back to the power plant, there are power lines all over the area as they extend from the plant. There have been studies saying that living close to these could be harmful, and other studies saying that there are no effects. Personally, i'd rather live further from the power lines as it could adversely affect resale value. I've noticed that homes appear to take longer to sell in areas that are densely covered by power lines.
I'd like to add to this and correct some of the info.

Yes, there are MANY low lying areas in the Valley Ranch area. If one were to travel west on LBJ aka 635 from I-35 you will notice some very low lying "marshy" areas. These extend off and on all the way up into Valley Ranch. Avoid ANYTHING on a hill or slope going down into these areas (soft dirt and it moves). Also avoid anything down in these "holes". All that water from the flash floods has to go somewhere and when most of the higher ground is covered w/ buildings and concrete it is all going to be running down the lowest point.

As for the difference in foundations there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE! Out in that area you are FAR BETTER off w/ a pier and beam IF it was done correctly. If the builder actually did a soil survey for EACH lot and ONLY put the piers as far down to hit rock all is well. If they went on thru the rock and down into sludge or soft material the piers are worthless and it might as well have been on a slab. If your buying a home in this area do yourself a HUGE favor and go ahead and pay for a foundation inspection. It could be $300-500 well spent if you can avoid buying a home that is already showing signs of $$$$$ trouble coming. And don't hold your breath on the builder taking responsibility. In the State of Texas the state appointed governing board is comprised of the home builders.

The Northlake Power Plant - been there for DECADES! Actually got to go on a tour of it back in elementary school back in the dark ages. Used to do Camp Fire Girls campouts and such out there too at the huge park on one side of the lake. Wonder if it is still there Anyway, it is a lake but NO SWIMMING OR BOATING ALLOWED! The water is there simply for the power plant and nothing else minus the park areas that used to be out there. The undercurrents are BAD!!! Also used to be a "bar" of types out that way that held some big name concerts back in the day and hosted volleyball games. Yes, that power plant is huge and can be seen for a good distance away. It ain't going nowhere either so don't get upset if you move there and then get tired of seeing it everyday.

Which brings us around to that new development planned. I'm just waiting for the day the residents that bought into it are going to sue and try to get the power plant shutdown as it is harmful to them and they don't like seeing it out their backdoor. This development has been a HUGE BROU-HAHA between the City of Dallas that owns the land and the City of Coppell and the Coppell school district. It is "City of Dallas" property but will be serviced by the Coppell ISD and city services so they have really put up a good fight to prevent it from happening. They would have to make it "high end" or really, really low end in order to make it sell being in that location. That is typically how things are done in the Dallas area. If the area is near or next to something "bad" like a HUGE power plant or landfill the city and developer work out a deal for a super nice, all the bells and whistles development and snowball people/buyers/suckers. Or they make it available to those that can't afford to live anywhere else and it ends up being government subsidized housing. So be careful and tread lightly if your looking in that development.

With the indoor training facility there in Valley Ranch I don't see the Cowboys moving to the new stadium for practices. Two totally different uses. I'd also think the players would throw a hissy if they had to drive to Arlington every day for practices and team meetings. Too many of them live in areas the opposite direction.

Yes, homes located right on top of large power lines take longer to sell. The house better be TOP NOTCH and in the best place possible all the way around if it is going to be on top of a large power plant or power line. There are other bad things to be backed up to so just pay attention to the surroundings when looking at homes. Don't be fooled by the inside of the house if it happens to be located on the corner of a busy street.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:29 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times
And, I, too, would like to add to this and correct some of the misinformation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Yes, there are MANY low lying areas in the Valley Ranch area. If one were to travel west on LBJ aka 635 from I-35 you will notice some very low lying "marshy" areas. These extend off and on all the way up into Valley Ranch.
No VR housing developments are in the marsh areas referred to. The only low lying area (lake, marsh) in VR is to the east of, and quite a distance from, any housing developments. Valley Ranch Parkway runs parallel to the lake on the east side and there are no housing developments east of the VR Parkway. I have never seen or have heard of any flooding in any area whatsoever in VR.

Quote:
The Northlake Power Plant - been there for DECADES! Actually got to go on a tour of it back in elementary school back in the dark ages. Used to do Camp Fire Girls campouts and such out there too at the huge park on one side of the lake. Wonder if it is still there Anyway, it is a lake but NO SWIMMING OR BOATING ALLOWED! The water is there simply for the power plant and nothing else minus the park areas that used to be out there. The undercurrents are BAD!!! Also used to be a "bar" of types out that way that held some big name concerts back in the day and hosted volleyball games. Yes, that power plant is huge and can be seen for a good distance away. It ain't going nowhere either so don't get upset if you move there and then get tired of seeing it everyday.

Which brings us around to that new development planned. I'm just waiting for the day the residents that bought into it are going to sue and try to get the power plant shutdown as it is harmful to them and they don't like seeing it out their backdoor. This development has been a HUGE BROU-HAHA between the City of Dallas that owns the land and the City of Coppell and the Coppell school district. It is "City of Dallas" property but will be serviced by the Coppell ISD and city services so they have really put up a good fight to prevent it from happening. They would have to make it "high end" or really, really low end in order to make it sell being in that location. That is typically how things are done in the Dallas area. If the area is near or next to something "bad" like a HUGE power plant or landfill the city and developer work out a deal for a super nice, all the bells and whistles development and snowball people/buyers/suckers. Or they make it available to those that can't afford to live anywhere else and it ends up being government subsidized housing. So be careful and tread lightly if your looking in that development.
The Plant... which is inactive and has been inactive for years... is located west and north of Valley Ranch, not in VR. It was not owned by Irving or Coppell, but by the City of Dallas as stated, which originally annexed approximately 1,700 acres to house its electric utility, the Dallas Power & Light (now known as TXU). It was rezoned as residential in 2004 and sold by TXU to a private developer.

See 2005 doc from City of Coppell: http://www.ci.coppell.tx.us/c2/colla...00305.pdf?open

Currently it seems that all of the controversy over overbuilding multifamily homes (high-end) vs. who will provide public services for this area (which is actually still part of the City of Dallas) is in the court systems between the new developer, the City of Dallas & the City of Coppell and, to a lessor degree, the City of Irving.

See Ongoing Current Info: MyCoppell

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-30-2007 at 04:59 AM..

Old 11-30-2007, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
The Plant... which is inactive and has been inactive for years... is located west and north of Valley Ranch, not in VR. It was not owned by Irving or Coppell, but by the City of Dallas as stated, which originally annexed approximately 1,700 acres to house its electric utility, the Dallas Power & Light (now known as TXU). It was rezoned as residential in 2004 and sold by TXU to a private developer.

[/url]
Great info. Thanks

Old 11-30-2007, 07:57 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,596,369 times
I'd like to emphasize one of Momof2's points:

- NO MATTER WHERE your looking for a home in the DFW area, spend the $400-ish bucks on a structural engineer to check the foundation (do NOT use the foundation companies that give "free reviews"... they just want to sell you).

Then, ensure you file your foundation report in your files. It will be invaluable when the time comes to sell. The new potential buyer can get an engineering report and the engineer can use your previous one as a baseline to give a better analysis.

Brian

Old 11-30-2007, 01:57 PM

93 posts, read 465,890 times
Just to clarify my post above, I don't know if there ever were any floods in Valley Ranch, and I wouldn't expect any flash floods. I just mentioned the fact that many of those homes have an extra line item on their taxes (based on data from dallascad.org) and it's labelled FCD (Flood Control District).

As for the homes in the Cypress Waters area, I was under the impression that the land was purchased by Billingsley and that the development would be high-density, but high-end as is the case with most of their developments.

I wasn't aware that the plant is inactive, but it's still there and very noticeable from the newer Grand homes in the most western areas of VR. Just something to consider (if you had a choice between power lines and no power lines, i'd pick no power lines)

Old 11-30-2007, 02:18 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Just to clarify my post above, I don't know if there ever were any floods in Valley Ranch, and I wouldn't expect any flash floods. I just mentioned the fact that many of those homes have an extra line item on their taxes (based on data from dallascad.org) and it's labelled FCD (Flood Control District).

As for the homes in the Cypress Waters area, I was under the impression that the land was purchased by Billingsley and that the development would be high-density, but high-end as is the case with most of their developments.

I wasn't aware that the plant is inactive, but it's still there and very noticeable from the newer Grand homes in the most western areas of VR. Just something to consider (if you had a choice between power lines and no power lines, i'd pick no power lines)

Actually flash floods are very common in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. I've known of flooding in the streets of Valley Ranch as it does have some low lying areas. When you have areas w/ little to no grass and more concrete you are even more prone to street flooding. Because of the soil in that area there have been MANY homes that have had foundation problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas