Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2013, 07:50 AM

11 posts, read 40,881 times

Advertisements

I have come across several threads about this topic, mine would be a repeat but under slightly different and current circumstances. I have plans on putting down 20% and go for 30 yr Fixed (Excellent credit score).

(a) Is it a good idea to wait until end of December and lock the rates?
(b) Will 2014 see higher rates than 2013? Everyone speculated the rates are going higher three months ago and now the rates have come down from 4.75 to 4.35, typically Nov/Dec being lower rates in the past.
(c) October FED No-taper seemed a close call supporting these low rates, will a taper possibly in Jan move these rates higher another 1% ?
(d) Would it be a good idea to lock in now and re-evaluate the if there are better rates in Jan/Feb, discard the previous locked rates and go with Jan/Feb rate if that is better. I understand there are premiums involved for long term rate locks, i was trying to look for something like .25 to .5 higher than current rate (all included in rate).

FTH buyer, suggestions welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 11:06 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,406,659 times
lock in now. you can always go for a lower rate later. Also, build in a buffer on the backend of your construction schedule. They often go longer due to punchlist items and you don't want to be forced into a higher rate.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:09 PM

953 posts, read 1,829,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
lock in now. you can always go for a lower rate later. Also, build in a buffer on the backend of your construction schedule. They often go longer due to punchlist items and you don't want to be forced into a higher rate.
it will be hard to get anyone to lock the rates more than 90 days out. Even if they do, the fees will be outrageous and even outweigh the lock.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:05 PM

11 posts, read 40,881 times
Thank you. I was reading some posts and someone mentioned, they may be able to get the higher rate (ex: current rate is say 4.3 and locking it for say 6 months or 9 months would be 4.8 or 5).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas