Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 01:40 PM

17 posts, read 25,437 times

Advertisements

I just moved to the Plano/Frisco area with my girlfriend. We are in our 20's and want to know the best bars and places to drink. What are the places to go on Friday and Saturday nights that we can meet some cool people at the shops of legacy? Also, besides there where are some cool places in Plano and Frisco we may enjoy? Please let me know asap. Also, cool things for us to do during the day, any advice? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 02:30 PM

5,258 posts, read 6,369,583 times
Eh, the best place would be Addison or uptown Dallas, but if you live in Plano, the Shops of Legacy is decent and downtown Plano (15th St) is also decent. Plano is more of a family town than for young 20 year olds, Frisco even more so. So expect to pay more for drinks, see fewer young people, and strong police enforcement of bawdy behaviour.

I think there is a copy of the Gingerman (great bar in uptown) in Shops at Legacy. You could try there.
Friends used to go to some Australian restaurant in Frisco for dancing/karaoke for a lively night, it was near the mall. No idea if it is still there or the same. Not many young people in there though that I remember - I bet the avg age was past 30.

Addison (beltline road) and Uptown Dallas (McKinney Ave) are both more geared towards young people than either place in Plano is.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:55 PM

66 posts, read 127,468 times
The Shops at Legacy has LOTS of bars and restaurants and even a couple of nightclubs with live music. Just park in one of several free garages and start strolling around.

Note that there are two ends to the "strip", bisected by Legacy Drive. The northern section is one block over. Some people miss that the whole strip continues with more bars & restaurants.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:04 PM

8,050 posts, read 3,619,484 times
At Shops at Legacy, I like Fireside pies. It seems to have two shifts - people like me (not in 20s, and with kids) tend to go early and by the time we usually leave, the bar gets populated by much younger crowd.

Flying Saucer in Addisson is very nice, imo.

And of course, many choices in uptown, my favorite ones are Idle Rich on Mckinney and Old Monk on Henderson.

Lastly, Gingerman in uptown is nice, the Legacy copy, hmmm, let's say it has better parking...

Again, take everything with a grain of salt since I'm much outside your age bracket.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:57 PM

953 posts, read 1,825,677 times
Londoner in Frisco and shops at Legacy has a nice wine bar with some good flight options.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:05 PM

19,613 posts, read 17,907,428 times
The Holy Grail in Plano (Preston just south of 121) is the best beer bar in North texas.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:29 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,042,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
The Holy Grail in Plano (Preston just south of 121) is the best beer bar in North texas.
They don't have nearly the selection that the Flying Saucer in Addison does. It's a great bar, but let's not exaggerate.

Shops at Legacy has a Gingerman, which is nice, but pales to the original down in Uptown. I prefer Scruffy Duffies or Ringo's. Cru is a nice wine bar there, and Sambuca 360 has a nice bar area, while featuring live music every night.

A mile or so away at Austin Ranch, you have Zen bar. Free taco bar on Thursdays.

Frisco, there's several bars right near Preston/121. To be honest, none of them really stand out for me, there are several sports bars, restaurants, etc, all packed in within a square mile. A little bit north of this area on the Tollway is the Londoner, which is probably the best bar in Frisco IMO.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
They don't have nearly the selection that the Flying Saucer in Addison does. It's a great bar, but let's not exaggerate.

Shops at Legacy has a Gingerman, which is nice, but pales to the original down in Uptown. I prefer Scruffy Duffies or Ringo's. Cru is a nice wine bar there, and Sambuca 360 has a nice bar area, while featuring live music every night.

A mile or so away at Austin Ranch, you have Zen bar. Free taco bar on Thursdays.

Frisco, there's several bars right near Preston/121. To be honest, none of them really stand out for me, there are several sports bars, restaurants, etc, all packed in within a square mile. A little bit north of this area on the Tollway is the Londoner, which is probably the best bar in Frisco IMO.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
Do you honestly like FS more than Holy Grail?

Old 10-18-2013, 09:53 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,042,020 times
You named HG the best beer bar in North Texas. They claim to have 170 beers.

FS has around 300, rotating every three days. It's the better beer bar, no comparison. I like both places, but for someone who is out to try unique beers, they are far better served by going to FS.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
You named HG the best beer bar in North Texas. They claim to have 170 beers.

FS has around 300, rotating every three days. It's the better beer bar, no comparison. I like both places, but for someone who is out to try unique beers, they are far better served by going to FS.
Man come on. FS is the McDonald's or Subway of good beer - it's a franchise chain.

* By in large HG has better trained staff - heck the owner is there much of the time - the managers and all of the long time bar tenders are exceptionally knowledgable, better food, and the beer selection is just fine.

* For a long while, and maybe still, FS employees were instructed to NEVER mention the term "bitter" for fear of turning people off to bigger beers especially IPAs. How in the heck does it help a beer noob when a bar intentionally forbids accepted beer terms like IBU?

*Not that these kinds of things mean a whole lot but Beer Advocate and others rate HG higher very consistently.

*I'm way more impressed with a deep selection of excellent beers over gross numbers.

*Someone new to good beer needs TLC and knowledgeable staff who aren't afraid to offer opinions and who also aren't forbidden to use appropriate terms.

For the record I live very close (~5 mins) to the Dallas/Addison FS and go there quite often after work for a libation. Whenever time permits I make the drive to Plano.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas