Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 03:26 PM

673 posts, read 3,090,892 times

Advertisements

I have heard many similar comments stating that the problem with Plano lies in its central and eastern areas. I know a person who lives in West Plano and is strong proponent of idea that older part of the town is dragging down posh West Plano area. Here some concerns I have heard:

1.) West Plano area's city and PISD Tax revenues are subsiding the poorer Central and East Plano. If they weren't stuck with those parts, they would have more money for to spend on their area.

2.) West Plano has best school in PISD, such as West Plano Senior High. The other parts of town have much less desirable school. In fact, some people complain that residents from the Central or East Plano often try to get their kids into West Plano Senior High like in recent redistricting plan in PISD.

3.) There many dying business in East Plano, such as Collin Creek Mall, which are an eye sore to the city of Plano. Most of good business, such Trader Joe, open in West Plano. Not to mention West Plano has prime real estate for corporate offices in the entire DFW area.

4.) Supposedly there is a lot high crime rate in the old area of Plano, especially near downtown. Someone say there lot of un-desirable types of people living there. I heard this area refereed to as the "Ghetto of Plano"

So would guys agree that West Plano is getting dragged down by the central and eastern parts of Plano?

Old 10-11-2013, 03:38 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
no.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:47 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,023,137 times
Probably some one from west side of West Plano can make similar case about east side of West Plano.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:49 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,644 times
1.) They are city taxes for a reason. If people hate it so much, they can move to a more completely effluent city like the UP/HP area. Still you have crazy amounts of taxes going to Robin Hood. No way of avoiding this.

2.) I'm not sure why this is such an issue......they all reside within PISD, and I would want my kid going to the best schools in the district if possible.

3.) Yes, we all know that West Plano is the nicest area of Plano. Again not really sure what you are asking here.

4.) The downtown Plano area does have a high concentration of crime per the area, but so do the Shops at Legacy located in the prestigious "West Plano"....

Not really sure you can say dragged down. It sounds like your friend is a HUGE snob. Takes one to know one(yes I am admitting I used to be a snob as well).

Old 10-11-2013, 03:57 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
I have heard many similar comments stating that the problem with Plano lies in its central and eastern areas. I know a person who lives in West Plano and is strong proponent of idea that older part of the town is dragging down posh West Plano area.
Sounds like that person is living in a bubble and sounds like an idiot. Er, not that I'm being judgmental here.

Quote:
2.) West Plano has best school in PISD, such as West Plano Senior High. The other parts of town have much less desirable school. In fact, some people complain that residents from the Central or East Plano often try to get their kids into West Plano Senior High like in recent redistricting plan in PISD.
Yeah, why just look at the TERRIBLE metrics put up by Plano Senior and Plano East. Plano West put up an 1156 average SAT, while Plano Senior put up ONLY an 1157...er, no, wait, that's a point higher, uh, er...well, on the ACT Plano West averaged a 26, while Plano Senior averaged...er, a 26....

OK, granted, 97.9% of Plano West students took the SAT or ACT, while "only" 87.1% of Plano Senior students took either, so if everyone from both schools took the tests Plano West would probably wind up a little higher. But really, "much less desirable schools"? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Your friend should try driving somewhere beyond Willow Bend, if they dare to interact with the hoi polloi.

Even poor, decaying Plano East "only" put up averages of 1114 and 25.1, which blows the doors off almost every other school in DFW.

Quote:
4.) Supposedly there is a lot high crime rate in the old area of Plano, especially near downtown. Someone say there lot of un-desirable types of people living there. I heard this area refereed to as the "Ghetto of Plano"
Oh, definitely. It's almost as ghetto as Richardson.

Quote:
So would guys agree that West Plano is getting dragged down by the central and eastern parts of Plano?
I think West Plano is getting dragged down by self-absorbed twits who give the area a bad reputation

Old 10-11-2013, 05:58 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,055 times
Your friend(s) sounds like a real jack a.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:24 PM

794 posts, read 1,670,576 times
All three senior high schools produce great results, east side offers IB, Health and Steam Acadamies that attract brainiacs from whole district. Whole Plano is safe to drive around at any time of the day. Our city, police, firefighters, libraries, schools, parks and recreation centers are great in every part of the town. Its a big, established and diverse town, not a brand new bubble.

Of course West Plano is more affluent and attracts more affluent residents, students from highly educated families,companies and businesses, their is nothing wrong with that. I think East, Central, North and West, all can hold on their own but we don't have to. By the way, I AM offical West Plano snob of City Data.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:11 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
they can move to a more completely effluent city like the UP/HP area.
Dude, no need to rag on PC so much.

(I know, typo, you were responding quickly, etc., but I thought it was funny)

Old 10-11-2013, 10:12 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
East Plano is actually in a lot better shape than it was 20 years ago. Central Plano, if we are talking about the area between Preston and 75, has a lot of neighborhoods with homes over $500k, with the average price of that whole area probably around $300k+, and top notch schools. That's hardly the definition of dragging down a city.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:55 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,557,409 times
This attitude was a large factor in why we didn't consider looking in the west Plano area when deciding where to settle a few years ago. After living in central Plano for 5 years, I found this attitude to be way too prevalent for my liking. Not that every west Plano-ite was that way...but way more of them than I was comfortable with. It's unfortunate...because west Plano has so many great things going for it, but IMO, snobbery like this is what really "brings down" that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas