Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 10:38 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,571,613 times

Advertisements

What if there had been some kids there playing basketball? Would you have kicked them off the court just because you had friends in town?
Just because these people weren't using the court to play basketball, doesn't mean they weren't using the court. They were there first. They said they'd only be 10 minutes. It was obviously a big deal for them, and the kind thing to do would have been to let them have their dance.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:02 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,022,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmL8 View Post
Thanks for sharing the videos. Had we known beforehand the significance of the event, we would have done things differently. It does appear that the event in Plano was at a reserved place though. Anyways, I received a response from HOA this morning:
You are welcome.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:32 AM

24 posts, read 36,400 times
Good to you for standing up for your rights. If that group wanted exclusive use of a space for their purposes, they should have rented a private facility. In choosing a public location they have to live with the possibility others would exercise their rights and showed poor judgement in resorting to a mob mentality.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:20 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,473,186 times
Whoever organized the event should have rented a facility so they could have been absolutely sure of having adaquate accommodations to fullfil their needs in both size and time without any interference to themselves or inconvenience for others. Those people were definitely in-the-wrong...and whoever organized the event was stupid for not renting a facility.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:04 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,473,186 times
http://www.youtube.com/v/rbQrE6EFz6o&rel=1

Here is a video of part of the actual Bathukamma Celebration at Castle Hills

A Bathukamma Celebration lasts for 9 days

Last edited by highcotton; 10-15-2013 at 12:20 PM..

Old 10-15-2013, 12:38 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,871 times
This is a very festive time for india. Bathukamma is specific to Andhra Pradesh. Navratri is specific to hindus in general. It coincides at the same time. The next big festival is Diwali..and for women the next big festival is karwachauth.

October and November is a huge time for our festivals (AKA new years). honestly dude, it was 10 minutes..you lost my respect once you said that you weren't going to give up the space. That too me says, you switched off rational thinking and went into some sort of spite mode.

I can guarantee that for these festivals there was fasting going on..and the dancing was for the ladies to celebrate the religious aspect of their culture. Its sounds like from your own words, they were nice about it, explained that the grass was wet and if you could be accommodating. That you weren't. Honestly, while the place may have been "taken over" as you put it, as an east Asian yourself, I am sure you could appreciate the cultural celebration was going on. It was just 10 minutes.

Sounds like when you walked on the court, you already had a thorn in your side once you realized that your game of B ball wasn't going to take place. This is one of the/ if not THE most auspicious time of the year for Indians.

Navratri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Karva Chauth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-15-2013, 02:17 PM

126 posts, read 339,689 times
Opinions opinions....I'll throw mine in too......

I love sports and I can appreciate what an evening of basketball with friends is - priceless.

I also know that if they said 10 min, it is equivalent to 30min as you can't interject after 10 min and ask them to leave, so I see your predicament.

However, I would have moved out the 30 min and let them do their thing. My thinking is, I can also play basketball at the CH basketball court (which is about 10 min drive from this one). But they can't move out of there for practical reasons. I agree they should've rented the community hall right beside it, but fell short of good planning, and that is where your good samaritan could have come out.

You were not wrong, but you could have been kinder. I wonder if they used 'please' and requested you to give them some extra space initially....

Old 10-15-2013, 02:34 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
this thread has run its course and is now closed

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas