Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 12:33 PM

19,776 posts, read 18,060,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by globe9 View Post
I don't think Dallas is boring. I never said that. I wouldn't have even entered this thread if not for a few ignorant comments about going to New Orleans and getting murdered which is absurd.
I do think New Orleans is a much better tourist destination and also has just as much to offer than Dallas, a city probably 10x it's size.
The fact that the OP included Baton Rouge in his post should tell you he's probably trolling

Dallas is a great place to live. Would I have chosen it if my job hadnt transferred me? Probably not, but that's b/c I like mountains and scenery.
For 2011 NOLA's murder rate was 57.6 per 100,000 the murder rate in Dallas that year was 10.9.

For the record I like NOLA a lot. I love zydeco and NO jazz plus the feel of a really old city not on the east coast is cool.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:44 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,223,832 times
Welcome to Dallas where you can eat, shop, and eat some more. I found Dallas to be relatively boring. Sure, there were some fun things that popped up from time to time. The problem was that the metroplex is so spread out, I didn't want to drive an hour at a time to go do stuff when it did come about. Yeah, yeah I lived in the burbs most of my time there. But so many people do.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:56 PM

743 posts, read 1,320,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
Welcome to Dallas where you can eat, shop, and eat some more. I found Dallas to be relatively boring. Sure, there were some fun things that popped up from time to time. The problem was that the metroplex is so spread out, I didn't want to drive an hour at a time to go do stuff when it did come about. Yeah, yeah I lived in the burbs most of my time there. But so many people do.
The burbs are boring everywhere. That's the appeal.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:02 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,223,832 times
Even when I lived in Dallas proper it was boring. It's just not a super fun city. That's just the way it is.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:15 PM

477 posts, read 1,051,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
For 2011 NOLA's murder rate was 57.6 per 100,000 the murder rate in Dallas that year was 10.9.

For the record I like NOLA a lot. I love zydeco and NO jazz plus the feel of a really old city not on the east coast is cool.
I just googled on my phone 2012 murder rate. New Orleans was 193 total and Dallas is 154. Of that 193, I guarantee more than 90% were in 9th ward, New Orleans east, central city and gert town. All places no tourist or normal local would ever be.
You're not going to get murdered in New Orleans anymore so than you're going to get murdered here. Anyone who believes that is ignorant and should just stay put in their homogenous suburb and lead their sheltered life.
Chicago has the highest murder rate now right behind New York city. I suggest no one visit those fine cities either unless one wants to end up in a bodybag

Old 10-17-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I just googled on my phone 2012 murder rate. New Orleans was 193 total and Dallas is 154. Of that 193, I guarantee more than 90% were in 9th ward, New Orleans east, central city and gert town. All places no tourist or normal local would ever be.
You're not going to get murdered in New Orleans anymore so than you're going to get murdered here. Anyone who believes that is ignorant and should just stay put in their homogenous suburb and lead their sheltered life.
Chicago has the highest murder rate now right behind New York city. I suggest no one visit those fine cities either unless one wants to end up in a bodybag
Dude, the NYC murder rate is lower than any other cities. Try again.

Edit: Murder rate in metro New Orleans is 20.6; Chicago metro 7.1; DFW 4.1; metro NYC 3.8

That's FBI data released in September: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...decpdf/table-6

Last edited by Considering Coming Back; 10-17-2013 at 01:36 PM..

Old 10-17-2013, 01:37 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,150,148 times
Who doesn't like New Orleans? I have been going once or twice per year since I was a kid. It's just not really the same thing. And - it's so easy just to jump on Southwest and be there in an hour - drive-through daiquiri on the way to the Quarter.

But, Dallas is lots of fun. I don't really go outside LBJ, except I have been to Oktoberfest in Addison a couple of times. There's quite a connected culture among the different parties and events in Dallas. If you aren't part of that you may feel left out...but then again just start going to things and you will see some of the same people at other events. Lots of fun, y'all! Or did I say that already?

Old 10-17-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
Dude, the NYC murder rate is lower than any other cities. Try again.
FBI: Chicago passes New York as murder capital of U.S. - The Washington Post

Chicago passes New York as murder capital of US per FBI in 2012. Why don't you try again.
I cited 2012 as that was the year used for my Dallas Nola comparison.
My point anyways was that Chicago and New York have a lot of murders. I think Chicago is b over 500 right now and New York is over 400. Does that stop rational people from visiting or even living there? Nope b/c like in Nola most of these murders take place in bad neighborhoods. What's so hard to understand about that?
Don't go buy drugs, pick up hookers or venture into bad neighborhoods looking for trouble and there is a 99% chance that you wont get murdered.
I'm done with this debate more. Millions of visitors go to Nola every year and make it back home ssafe and sound.
If you're too scared, don't go. Probably not for you anyway.

Last edited by globe9; 10-17-2013 at 01:55 PM..

Old 10-17-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
FBI: Chicago passes New York as murder capital of U.S. - The Washington Post

Chicago passes New York as murder capital of US per FBI in 2012. Why don't you try again.
I cited 2012 as that was the year used for my Dallas Nola comparison.
Do you know what 'rate' means?

Old 10-17-2013, 02:01 PM

Yes I know what rate means and I didn't use the rate in my post. I used the actual numbers b/c most people don't care about the rate, they just hear 500 murders so far in 2013. That's a freaking lot.
Anyway this is totally off topic now. Make sure to wear your bullet proof vest and to bring your gun if you ever go to Nola. We want to make sure everyone knows you're not from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas