Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 09:38 PM

5 posts, read 13,078 times

Advertisements

In the area I am researching, Southlake, both Monterey homes and Toll brothers offer similar features and similar lot sizes in desirable communities

I prefer the Monterey homes exteriors and layouts, because Toll Brothers seems to force you into structural upgrades like adding a media room or an extra bedroom etc, while Monterey homes features these in their base price. The price for the base models is similar between the two, but it feels like Toll brothers could end up being 50 to 75 grand more. Is the Toll brothers quality worth that much more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 12:51 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,683,015 times
Another thing to consider from my experience looking at used homes in SL... Toll Brothers homes tend to sit in the market longer for some reason. Take Estes Park for example... the true custom ones sell quick, the Toll Brothers lounge in the market for months on end, I've seen one that has been recurrently on the market over and over.

Just be careful. My 2 cents.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:06 AM

3 posts, read 4,522 times
Has anyone recently bought a new construction house in Southlake (last 3 months), just curious to know as we are interested in new construction in that area and wanted to know the popular neighborhoods in 750-850K range ..we looked at Carillon, shady oaks, Highland Oaks (out of price range) and Chelsea Park

Old 03-19-2015, 03:51 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBuy View Post
Has anyone recently bought a new construction house in Southlake (last 3 months), just curious to know as we are interested in new construction in that area and wanted to know the popular neighborhoods in 750-850K range ..we looked at Carillon, shady oaks, Highland Oaks (out of price range) and Chelsea Park
Haven't bought but live in that area. Anything in particular you want to know?

Old 03-20-2015, 10:08 AM

I searched forums regarding these communities and found people have mixed feeling about Carillon development and shady oaks.Didn't find anything for Chelsea park . So wanted to know in general if you are looking for new construction in Southlake which development people prefer

Old 03-20-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBuy View Post
I searched forums regarding these communities and found people have mixed feeling about Carillon development and shady oaks.Didn't find anything for Chelsea park . So wanted to know in general if you are looking for new construction in Southlake which development people prefer
As always, it's going to depend on what you're looking for. Carillon is huge, and it appears at least some of the homes are being built on quite small lots. There's been back and forth regarding custom vs. tract builders and that story has appeared to change a few times. Pinipig was seriously looking there a year-plus ago and, as he's posted, walked away displeased. The retail development there has not started and my understanding is that it's awfully up in the air exactly what WILL be built there.

I freely admit that my own feelings about Carillon are less-than-positive, given the size of the development and the likely impact it will have on the area. White Chapel will be widened within the next few years and there will be much more traffic due to the increased residential and commercial builds. (There is also a sizable retail development planned on the open land just north of 114 and south of Dove road, to the west of White Chapel).

Shady Oaks is a large development that will stretch all the way from Shady Oaks to Peytonville. Many homes have already been built with a lot more yet to come. Someone can correct me, but it appears to be exclusively a residential development.

Chelsea Park is smaller and I'd be a little hesitant given the likely traffic increases on Highland Park and White Chapel there.

Beyond that I know little about builders and types of homes, and that's very dependent on what you're looking for, but those are general comments about the area and where it appears to be going. It'll likely be much more built up in 5 years than it is now.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:09 PM

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback . You are right . It's very disappointing to see 5000 sq. house built on .30 acre lot in Carillon. we also visited Shady Oaks , prices are significantly higher but the lot sizes are in same range. So all the new construction is following the same trend..

@Pinipig -Can youplease let me know where did you end up buying if not in carillon..

Old 03-20-2015, 11:04 PM

12 posts, read 22,748 times
In the new sections of Carillon, 5000 sq feet and .30 acres are an average sized house on an average sized lot. They had some growing pains, but $220-230 per square foot is going to be the baseline in the non-villa sections. Even the volume builders in Carillon are staring to push into this range - the almost-custom and custom builds are pulling them up. The cul de sac and lake lots are materially more money (lots are 325-385k) and will have materially larger houses to make those economics work. You will ultimately be fine on resale in Carillon, but it will take years to be substantially built out on the residential side and not be competing with new builds. Commercial/retail is obviously still a work in progress but Hines has a track record and know what they are doing. It will take as long as it takes. That side of 114 has sat underdeveloped for far too long and progress is inevitable.

Prices are only going up in Southlake and this trend will steadily continue. As an example, look at the new Winding Creek development off Carroll. Standard Pacific is building literally the same houses as they are building in Shady Oaks, but charging even 15-20% more for them. People are paying more to be next to the Town Square etc. for convenience. Toll Brothers is now starting Savannah Estates and it will not be cheap. KHov is building Highland Oaks, which is 200-210 psf and up even though it is adjacent to mobile homes off Highland.

Last edited by I Luv Las Colinas; 03-20-2015 at 11:13 PM..

Old 03-21-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Luv Las Colinas View Post
As an example, look at the new Winding Creek development off Carroll. Standard Pacific is building literally the same houses as they are building in Shady Oaks, but charging even 15-20% more for them. People are paying more to be next to the Town Square etc. for convenience.
Given that the area is not exactly "pedestrian friendly", that's perplexing. What, there's that big of a difference between driving a quarter mile and driving, say, a mile and a half? Yeah, the entry and all to Winding Creek "looks more impressive" than some other subdivisions, but is it really worth an extra 100K-200K? Oh well, not my call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Luv Las Colinas View Post
Toll Brothers is now starting Savannah Estates and it will not be cheap. KHov is building Highland Oaks, which is 200-210 psf and up even though it is adjacent to mobile homes off Highland.
I wonder how long those mobile homes will last. The other part of Southlake with mobile homes (two stub streets south of Continental near its east end) are seeing those lots bought and McMansions built on them (weirdest looking thing I've seen in a while - "trailer" "McMansion" "trailer").

Everywhere I've been (not just DFW but other cities), the newer the construction, the larger the house and the smaller the lot. It's been the trend at all price points. And although seeing the green spaces getting built up is disconcerting, it's been happening all over DFW for 40+ years, and if it's going to occur, good to see it at higher $/sf.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:31 PM

12 posts, read 22,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Given that the area is not exactly "pedestrian friendly", that's perplexing. What, there's that big of a difference between driving a quarter mile and driving, say, a mile and a half? Yeah, the entry and all to Winding Creek "looks more impressive" than some other subdivisions, but is it really worth an extra 100K-200K? Oh well, not my call.

I wonder how long those mobile homes will last. The other part of Southlake with mobile homes (two stub streets south of Continental near its east end) are seeing those lots bought and McMansions built on them (weirdest looking thing I've seen in a while - "trailer" "McMansion" "trailer").

Everywhere I've been (not just DFW but other cities), the newer the construction, the larger the house and the smaller the lot. It's been the trend at all price points. And although seeing the green spaces getting built up is disconcerting, it's been happening all over DFW for 40+ years, and if it's going to occur, good to see it at higher $/sf.
Some of those Winding Creek spec homes are 1.6-1.7 million, which is amazing.

I think those Highland mobile homes will eventually go away, but who knows how it will take. Some brave soul built a large house (6000-7000 sq feet) right behind those mobile homes off Highland. The custom home's driveway is right next to the mobile homes and the mobile homes are between the custom home and Highland. It's a new world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas