Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 11:22 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Economics makes you sick? It's as simple as the ratio of qualified individuals to the total population.

How many pro sports players are there? 5,000 tops I would guess. How many police and firemen are there? Millions. How many people can be pro sports players, thousands, how many people are qualified to be policemen or firemen? Tens of millions.

The other factor is, it's not the team owners that are paying the players so much... it's the fans that are willing to purchase tickets, watch it on tv, and buy merchandise that are funneling this money into the organization. The answer is simple... stop supporting sports.
I never said "economics make me sick", pay attention and read the post. I said
It makes you wonder why police, fireman, and other ESSENTIAL civic employes make squat, yet football, baseball and other sports figures are raking in millions. Thats what makes me sick!.
Police and Firemen put their lives in jeopardy everytime they go to work to protect people like you and me . Yet they make a fraction of what Sports figures make who basically are just there to entertain us. I guess if thats the case we need to start paying clowns at the circus a couple a million.

And for the record, I dont buy tickets or attend games, buy the merchandise and the only way I know who won is I watch it on the news.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:23 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Economics do not make me sick, professional sports make me sick. They have been ruined by greed. The Southwest Conference was even destroyed by avarice. I was taught that greed is wrong. Now people don't even flinch at Gordon Gecko's prescient pronouncement.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:30 AM

Thank You! Someone sensible who agrees with me!

Old 11-21-2007, 11:41 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
I never said "economics make me sick", pay attention and read the post. I said
It makes you wonder why police, fireman, and other ESSENTIAL civic employes make squat, yet football, baseball and other sports figures are raking in millions. Thats what makes me sick!.
Police and Firemen put their lives in jeopardy everytime they go to work to protect people like you and me . Yet they make a fraction of what Sports figures make who basically are just there to entertain us. I guess if thats the case we need to start paying clowns at the circus a couple a million.

And for the record, I dont buy tickets or attend games, buy the merchandise and the only way I know who won is I watch it on the news.
If people demanded (with their dollars) that clowns be paid a couple million, it would have happened.... assuming few people are talented and diciplined enough to be a clown. If anyone could be a pro football player, and there were thousands of teams, pay per sports player would be minimal... the same amount of pay would be dispersed among many rather than few.

Economics obviously makes you sick because that's WHY sports players make more money. I don't watch any sports... I used to watch baseball but gave up on that when they went on strike in the 90s. But as long as people are willing to support the sports economy, the payscales will continue.

The forumla to decrease player salaries is the same forumla as putting that evil corporation Walmart out of business... get America to stop supporting them with their dollars. It's economics!

Old 11-21-2007, 11:47 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
I understand the concept of free markets and I have taken ECON 101 and 102. What I am lamenting is the deterioration of society.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:54 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I understand the concept of free markets and I have taken ECON 101 and 102. What I am lamenting is the deterioration of society.
I'm with you 100%

I wish I could say things were better back in my day, but I'm only 30, so this is my day. Maybe people will wake up and start playing sports instead of watching them.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
If people demanded (with their dollars) that clowns be paid a couple million, it would have happened.... assuming few people are talented and diciplined enough to be a clown. If anyone could be a pro football player, and there were thousands of teams, pay per sports player would be minimal... the same amount of pay would be dispersed among many rather than few.

Economics obviously makes you sick because that's WHY sports players make more money. I don't watch any sports... I used to watch baseball but gave up on that when they went on strike in the 90s. But as long as people are willing to support the sports economy, the payscales will continue.

The forumla to decrease player salaries is the same forumla as putting that evil corporation Walmart out of business... get America to stop supporting them with their dollars. It's economics!
I still dont see how you can assume that economics makes me sick personally, when I specifically stated I dont support sports with my money. Your trying to put words in my mouth to justify your silly comment!

Old 11-21-2007, 12:02 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times
Quote:
Seriously? They have an important job, but I wouldn't consider them under paid.

Teachers make a pretty good living in the area... ~43k to start. And that's working 187 days. Accountants make roughly the same working 239 days..
Absolutely, I'm serious! Obviously, you do not personally know the workday of the average teacher... their day does not start when the school day starts, nor does it end when the school day ends... nor does their schedule begin and end when the school term does. Class preparation, class plans, paper grading, counseling, teacher conferences, and the loads of all other paperwork is done outside of this regular work day. My daughter teaches and coaches as well. Her day begins at 6 a.m. and ends at 10-11 each night... including some weekend tournaments, etc. Her whole life is dedicated to these kids... and she wouldn't have it any other way... she loves it... and the kids, in turn, love and admire her. But, she's only one example of thousands out there that serve as THE only role model many of these children ever have in their lives... someone that actually takes an interest in them on a daily basis.

Quote:
The average income for females in Plano, TX is $39,617.... again most of which would work 239 days.
I don't even know where to start to address this statement... as it is sexist at best. The last I heard, we DO have male teachers as well. So, what is the average income for males in Plano, TX? And, why would you not expect females to earn equal pay as males, regardless of occupation, anyway?

Quote:
I feel some teachers deserve more... it would be nice to reward the hard working teachers. Unfortunately the teachers unions hate that idea
The bottom line is... and I stand by my original statement... they do NOT get compensated anywhere near enough for the work they have done, do or will do. Take from that what they have to pay for their own health care, it borderlines on pitiful!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-21-2007 at 12:27 PM..

Old 11-21-2007, 12:09 PM

I totally agree.......Teachers, EMTS, Police & Firemen are all jobs that are also positive role models for our countries children, yet are paid SQUAT.

Yet Sports figures, and entertainers are a less than positive role model, and they make more money than god.

Just goes to show you were most of our priorities are.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:23 PM

625 posts, read 1,956,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
I totally agree.......Teachers, EMTS, Police & Firemen are all jobs that are also positive role models for our countries children, yet are paid SQUAT.

Yet Sports figures, and entertainers are a less than positive role model, and they make more money than god.

Just goes to show you were most of our priorities are.
Let's take a different approach to this, using our very own Dallas Mavericks. We pay star athletes millions of dollars because they bring in millions of dollars in revenue. This does not make the owners rich (until they sell the team) It's well-known that you don't run a sports franchise to make money- you do it for the love of the sport. The Mavs themselves operate very close to break-even.

Even though they make millions, they generate millions for the local economy. Think about the Mavs for a second. If they were still sucky, and the Stars didn't spend the money on Modano and Hull to win the cup in 1999, we would not have gotten the AA center.

The AA center had stimulated victory park, which has totally revitalized that part of dallas, brought numerous hotels and restaurants and JOBS into Dallas. This is something no teacher can do.

If you want another example, look at Michael Jordan. Michael Jordan himself is keeping millions employed - he took basketball to cultural icon status, think of the advertising market he created (and the jobs along with it), the people working in the factories overseas to make his clothes, the people who design his shoes, etc.

If you want to do more research on this, you're looking for the "Diamond-Water Paradox" in economics (i.e, why do we pay hardly anything for water (which we need to survive), but pay 3 months salary for a hunk of rock?).

As for unions...man, don't get me started on unions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: