Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2013, 01:55 PM

12 posts, read 27,630 times

Advertisements

So I recently found out that by some city scale thing, Dallas is an Alpha Minus city which makes it the only Alpha city in Texas. How is this possible considering the fact that Houston is bigger with (I think?) more businesses and opportunities. What makes a city an alpha City? Why would Houston still be a Beta city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 03:03 PM

554 posts, read 1,191,696 times
There are many factors that go into the GaWC rating. I think where Dallas probably edged out Houston is with DART and DFW International Airport and their impending connection. I've also heard that the Arts District had a sizable impact on the GaWC decision. Population is considered, however, it isn't a major deciding factor. For example, Miami edged out Houston in sufficient areas for it to be promoted to Alpha-. I am sure Houston will be Alpha very soon but I think they get major points deducted because of how small Houston METROrail is. This is just my guess. It's the only thing I can think of. I believe BOTH Dallas and Houston should be Alpha-.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:57 PM

39 posts, read 126,651 times
First off, Houston sucks compared to DFW, secondly Dallas proper is a small city area. Everyone calls it the metroplex which has 6.8 million people and Houston has just over 5 in the metro area.

im in the media business and DFW is a much bigger media market than Houston and has a much larger airport.

Also the Dallas convention bureau gets much more business than Houston. Its easier to get in and out and its a central location.

Houston is just a pushed together humid sardine can

Old 11-02-2013, 04:24 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,613,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy View Post
There are many factors that go into the GaWC rating. I think where Dallas probably edged out Houston is with DART and DFW International Airport and their impending connection. I've also heard that the Arts District had a sizable impact on the GaWC decision. Population is considered, however, it isn't a major deciding factor. For example, Miami edged out Houston in sufficient areas for it to be promoted to Alpha-. I am sure Houston will be Alpha very soon but I think they get major points deducted because of how small Houston METROrail is. This is just my guess. It's the only thing I can think of. I believe BOTH Dallas and Houston should be Alpha-.
This.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:30 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,211,215 times
^^ indeed, also the GaWC like to see cities that are diverse in their industry. And Houston the Energy powerhouse that is still quite top heavy. Dallas has a much more rounded economic base and isn't as dependent on one or two industry types.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:50 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,760,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy View Post
Excellent post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonsimmons View Post
First off, Houston sucks compared to DFW, secondly Dallas proper is a small city area. Everyone calls it the metroplex which has 6.8 million people and Houston has just over 5 in the metro area.

im in the media business and DFW is a much bigger media market than Houston and has a much larger airport.

Also the Dallas convention bureau gets much more business than Houston. Its easier to get in and out and its a central location.

Houston is just a pushed together humid sardine can
Absolutely no reason whatsoever to try to turn this thread into another silly Dallas vs. Houston hate thread with the unnecessary juvenile negative barbs. Both Dallas and Houston can well stand on their own merits without them!

Old 11-03-2013, 06:38 PM

6,255 posts, read 16,993,938 times
Never even heard of this classification system before... but I'm not surprised Dallas was the only one chosen for Alpha in TX. It really does have something for everybody.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:47 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,262,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Never even heard of this classification system before... but I'm not surprised Dallas was the only one chosen for Alpha in TX. It really does have something for everybody.
Both metros do.

Quite frankly, I believe both cities deserve Alpha ranking. DFW has its advantages, but so does Houston. Dallas doesn't have Rice University, as great a collection of museums and the arts, and, even for all its diversity, is still not quite as important economically as Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: