Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 12:14 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Really?

The top kids everywhere will be fine- those are the outliers. Those in the middle are the ones that do bettr by being in a more competitive school where simply more is asked and expected of them.
I totally agree with this statement. IF your kid is on the top end, they are going to succeed based on the factors learned at home.

oh gosh, shut up about the cheerleaders. All the schools are good, yes, they are ranked, yes plano out ranked frisco/allen/McKinney propser.....Highland park outranks plano and there are many others that outrank them all. Get over it.

The small difference in the schools in the grand scheme of things means nothing if your kid is a topper or has that expectation of doing well, hanging around the right set of kids and has schoolwork and a school that is challenging in general.

Here are recent products of frisco ISD. Gosh darn it, I am sure there parents really feel bad about how they sacrificed their kids education for new sheetrock. While the number isn't as high as PISD (because of age of the schools, tons of migration of the more educated class)..the track record is forming. Deny it all your want...areas like frisco/allen and McKinney are coming on up.

Frisco is the new plano, like plano was the new Richardson. There is always a new kids in town...be supportive of the neighboring districts, instead of bullying them down.

Heritage High School Student Scores a Perfect 36 on the ACT | Your Frisco Blog

Centennial Student Scores a Perfect 36 on the ACT

High School Seniors Honored for Academic Achievement

oh wow, get what..its not all Asian either..LOL.

It just gets my goose the moment a thread opens up about "hey what do you guys think of "x" town in Collin county"...the gloves come off and its plano or the highway. Please...really? Will all the crap going around about WP and bullying, the "cheerleaders" aren't doing any favors to the general public by berating other districts around them...guess that comes directly from the parents.

Again, I tooootttallly get that the numbers are not as "high" as PISD but lets not make the district seem all gloomy and doomy.... We are zone for liberty and stand by our choice.

Sorry to offend then nice guys who I have no beef with ...but when the momma bears claws come out..i take no prisoners

Old 11-04-2013, 02:46 PM

50 posts, read 104,710 times
The particular school district can make a positive, neutral or negative difference in college readiness above and beyond having motivated, involved parents helping educate their kids. The teaching and administrative culture of a large school district can quantitatively make a positive difference in educational outcomes, college readiness in particular. It is not destined in the stars that Frisco, McKinney or Allen school districts will meet or exceed the college readiness educational outcomes of the older districts like Plano. In September 2011 the Dallas Morning News did a study of college readiness outcomes in various DFW school districts controlling for socio economic factors based on a criteria of higher than expected, expected, and lower than expected. The Plano and Frisco high schools had meets expectations for all their high schools. The biggest winner was the Richardson Independent School District and loser was Wylie ISD. Here's a quote from the article:
"For example, Pearce High school in Richardson far exceeds what is expected, given 27 percent of its students are at risk of dropping out and 22 percent are poor. At Pearce, 81 percent of graduates are considered college ready, about 20 points higher than statistics would predict.
By comparison, Wylie High School, which has a similar demographic makeup, shows only 47 percent are college ready, far below expectations." Google up the article with 2011 College Readiness Outcomes Dallas Morning News. The school district itself can make a difference for its students, especially in the vast middle.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:12 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,325 times
If one is comparing Plano ISD to Frisco ISD, as the OP specifically requested, then the answer is simple - Plano's metrics are considerably better than Frisco's, period.

If someone can present data showing the Frisco ISD's metrics are improving over the last 5-10 years by an appreciable margin compared to Plano and therefore Frisco is closing the gap with Plano, great. But that should be actual measurable data, not "well, I know there are a lot of good parents moving in" or other anecdotes.

Now, I will say that it is true that great students can be found everywhere, and some kids will deliver fantastic results in almost any environment. Also, all sorts of factors influence student achievement, and items which one can't control such as making good friends and being in a positive enivonrment, having a great rapport with teachers, etc. can be more significant than a 50 point difference in average campus SAT. Last, school metrics are often highly dependent on the makeup of the student body.

All that said, Plano ISD's metrics remains considerably better than Frisco's, Plano student body is relatively diverse ethnically and socioeconomically (unlike, say, HP or Carroll) and may even have demographics that are less "favorable" than Frisco's, and both Plano and Frisco have housing costs that in general are not terribly far apart.

Thus, solely on the question of "which ISD would you choose between the two?", assuming other factors (such as ease of commute) are equal, I'd go with Plano and most anyone else likely would as well.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:34 PM

794 posts, read 1,670,576 times
FISD is awesome and would rival Ivy universities in few years. I hope that helps.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:54 PM

617 posts, read 1,042,036 times
I really don't think that saying essentially "Frisco is good; Plano is better" amounts to "bashing" Frisco or "gloom and doom" about Frisco or "bullying down" Frisco.

"Bashing" is the way people talk about DISD, not the way they talk about Frisco.

Is it "bashing" Stanford football to say that Alabama football outranks Stanford football?

For what it's worth, I think if someone were to say, "I'd really rather have my kids in a more laid-back, less hypercompetitive school," or, "I'd really rather have my kids in a predominantly white school," that is a perfectly legitimate thing to want, even if many would look on those statements with horror. To each their own. Academic achievement is not the highest priority of every single family.

-parent, Woodrow Wilson class of 2030

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Hruska#Mediocrity

Old 11-04-2013, 05:30 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
God help us if people think competition from people who study hard is a bad thing. Whats with this concept? Coasting by wont work in business nor school

Old 11-04-2013, 10:26 PM

26 posts, read 40,171 times
I have no horse in this race but I would like to mention that you are comparing apples and oranges here. FISD is geared towards high performance in state tests and maintaining exampalary status to attract home buyers and they are very good at that. On the other hand, PISD is a well oiled machine geared towards college readiness and they are doing it really well. This is not a logical comparison. FISD is doing great in its own league.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:04 AM

50 posts, read 104,710 times
Puppy3D, Your last post literally makes no sense. Plano ISD and Frisco ISD can and are being compared apples to apples. Where did you get "FISD is geared towards high performance in state tests and maintaining exemplary status to attract home buyers..."? What can you quote anywhere in Frisco ISD materials that says these are its goals? Frisco ISD is obviously geared toward "college readiness" for the large majority of its students as is Plano ISD. You just made up some nonsense.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:18 AM

504 posts, read 801,030 times
We just moved to Frisco a few months ago after living in Coppell for 3 years. We have 2 elementary school kids. By comparison, I like Frisco school better than Coppell. The teachers and parents are more involved and the whole town is a lot more fmily friendly.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:54 AM

26 posts, read 40,171 times
It is common knowledge among UTD faculty that FISD's top 5% barely stack against PISD or HPISD's top 25%. Of course there there are few bright stars who would do as well even if they were home schooled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas