Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 04:01 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times

Advertisements

Hey, West Plano people!

Have you noticed a ton more air traffic over your homes lately?

Are we on some kind of flight plan now all of a sudden?

It's loud and annoying. And I'm talking all kinds of planes - first I thought it was the little airport across the tollway, but there are jets, too.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-04-2013 at 04:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 04:29 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
When the wind shifts out of the north, the planes from DFW have to take off to the north (into the wind). Most of the time, they take off to the south. If you think its bad in Plano, you should see what it's like in Flower Mound and Coppell....

Old 11-04-2013, 04:35 AM

Well, on the bright side, my son loves pointing up in the air and yelling, "Airplane!" He just does it so often now.

Noise pollution has just gotten out of control everywhere.
Never thought I'd be envious of people living on acreage in Argyle.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:29 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,090,187 times
Don't worry, I'm sure the "who's who" in Willow Bend will be getting that taken care of very soon.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:48 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,541,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Well, on the bright side, my son loves pointing up in the air and yelling, "Airplane!" He just does it so often now.
Hey, I'll be 50 in a few months and I still do that! lol I'm one of those strange birds that LOVES commercial aviation and everything that goes along with it though.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:17 PM

203 posts, read 278,664 times
Dallas is a busy area for air traffic. DFW/DAL both have a lot of traffic. ADS is one of the busiest airports for corporate traffic. FTW and AFW in Fort Worth have sizable corporate and freight traffic.

I know the noise can be bad but its the price of living in the modern world. Airplane designers can only design a plane to generate so much noise. Even if they could generate an engine that was completely silent, the physics of a plane travelling through the air also create a lot of noise turbulence. The wake turbulence from a plane can create a lot of noise alone. The speed of a plane also creates noise.

Already, planes and airports operate on noise abatement procedures. But there is only so much you can do. It is impossible for planes to only fly over unpopulated areas.

Aircraft are all extremely sensitive to tailwinds on takeoff and landing. Regardless of size, a plane exceeds its limitations for tailwinds once the tailwind component exceeds the 10kts. A few types have slightly higher limitation but none I know are higher than 15 kts. In constrast, headwinds helps takeoff and landing performance and there are for the most part no headwind limitations.

Airports are designed with the prevailing wind patterns of the area in mind. If wind is persistent in one direction for a while, traffic will flow in that direction until the wind shifts.

The traffic patterns for an airport are well defined on airport charts. Leaving DFW on a north flow, the TRISS4 RNAV departure will likely fly over West Plano. As will the DALL9 departure from DAL. This would see most of the traffic headed for the northeast and also points in the mid south and eastern midwest. So its a pretty heavily used route.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:42 PM

I have zero issue with plane safety and doing what it takes to ensure a safe take-off re: headwinds, etc.
I use both airports. I like to go places and arrive in one piece.

I'm just wondering why it's so much more all of a sudden.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:28 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,403,116 times
I agree Stan I have noticed more recently as well. One of the downsides of having a busy airport close to considerable population I suppose. I prefer it to the option of driving another 30 minutes to get to the airport for the little noise I get in W. Plano.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:15 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,746,122 times
I love seeing the planes. As I love seeing trains.

As for plane noise, it is a lot less than it used to be with the new engines and the abatement approaches and takeoffs.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:29 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post

As for plane noise, it is a lot less than it used to be with the new engines and the abatement approaches and takeoffs.
And once AA gets all of the old, noisy MD80s out of their fleet, it will get even better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas