Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 07:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,305 times

Advertisements

Hi -

We are considering a move to downtown Dallas (farmers mkt area) from Plano. My daughter will be starting high school next fall and I do not want her to attend DISD. She currently attends PISD, honors with all A's.

Understanding this would be a significant move for her, my first choice would be Ursaline but I am concerned about the possibility of her not being accepted. My nightmare would be to move and find that we have no school options so I am wondering if anyone has suggestions 1) other HS and 2) improving chances on being accepted to those we apply to?

Many thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 08:00 AM

257 posts, read 550,149 times
One other option could be Bishop Lynch. Well-regarded and not too far from downtown.

There's also Lakehill Prep. Fairly small, but a good back-up if Ursuline doesn't work out.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:46 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,266,293 times
Booker T. Washington is supposed to be another good school. Their focus is on Arts and Academics.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:14 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
1. You need to reach out to all private schools of interest ASAP. Open houses, interviews, and testing for next year's admissions are in process now. Applications are due after Christmas and decisions come in late spring. Hopefully you'll be able to know where she has been admitted before deciding to move for sure. Luckily, most schools expand their class size in 9th grade so your timing is good.

2. Be realistic about your daughter. If she is not at / near the top of her class in Plano ISD, she has little chance of being admitted to Ursuline, Hockaday, ESD, etc. Additionally, they look for well- rounded girls; not just academics. Demonstrated talent and interest in music, athletics, the visual & performing arts, volunteer work, language, robotics, leadership, etc all help to "round out" each class.

3. If she is a competitive student, apply to the top schools (most are located in North Dallas around the Royal & Tollroad area), but add some of the ones closer to downtown as well. Bishop Lynch is the coed Catholic high school in East Dallas. Lakehill is very small and located in the heart of Lakewood. First Baptist Academy is downtown.

4. I would not rule out DISD automatically. By doing so, you eliminate some of the top high schools in the entire United States (yes, ranked even higher than Plano, HP, etc). There is a general TAG Magnet, as all as magnets for Science & Engineering, the Arts, Business & Law, etc. I would encourage you to apply to these as well. They are free and incredibly difficult to obtain entry in. You may also want to apply to Woodrow Wilson HS's IB program. Woodrow is in the Lakewood area and the IB curriculum is quite rigorous.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:31 AM

743 posts, read 1,320,512 times
You would be moving to the Madison High School attendance zone with little to no chance of landing a seat at a competitive magnet school. You also have a very small chance of getting into a top private school.

You need to realize that the students who will get those spots are either outstanding or their parents have been preparing for this step for years, if not their kids whole life. You, on the other hand, are asking the internet for advice.

I would generally recommend people live closer to work, walkable environment, urbanity, etc. But you are not at the right time in life to do this. Just wait 3 years (your daughter will be able to stay at her PISD school if you move when she's a rising senior).

Old 11-04-2013, 10:38 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,040 times
^what ccb said
Sounds like you may want to reconsider moving right now for such a short distance.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:06 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
If you want to check out Woodrow, there is an open house at 7 pm on Wednesday, November 20. Woodrow Wilson High School :: Home You can also apply to transfer if you don't live in the attendance zone or district. We have a couple of students who live in Allen who are in the IB program (their parents work downtown). There is also a full range of AP courses and the school offers The IB Career-related Certificate (IBCC) in addition to http://www.ibo.org/diploma/

Old 11-04-2013, 11:21 AM

792 posts, read 1,221,884 times
Sure admission to many schools is tough but I'm surprised that two of the posters above suggest you not even try! Apply now and see if she gets in someplace that you and she like. You'll likely know the answer by Spring so still plenty of time to move before school starts. If you are Catholic (since you mentioned Ursuline) and active in your church, your straight A student really should be able to get in to at least one of the Catholic schools, even though she's in public now. I know many people who have been able to do this.

TC's advice is good. Plan to spend the few weeks visiting and applying to schools. The application deadlines are coming soon but have not passed. So, don't get discouraged - just get to work and see where she gets in and then you can make a more informed decision about moving. Good luck!

Old 11-04-2013, 11:40 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,351 times
I would apply to Parrish and ESD as back-up schools. If she is a straight A students in PISD, I suspect that she will have several good options.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:55 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,480,689 times
Some kids do prepare for a couple of years to apply to some of the DISD magnet schools. But not every kid.

Your daughter may have what it takes to apply to TAG or SEM. Attend their open houses to get info.

She may even have an artistic talent to get into Booker T. Again...attend open houses to see if she'd qualify. There are different depts - Visual, Dance, Theater, Music. Not knowing the OP's daughter, she could have been taking dance for years and be capible of an audition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: